Do you think S Tyree Robinson can take advantage of this opportunity?

Number1

Reaction score
It's the premise of this thread - that Robinson is somehow being slighted for Woods and then you jumped in backing the suggestion that Robinson get a chance because "Woods was given the starting job by Stephen".

Woods was given the starting job because Richard and Marinelli wanted him as the starting FS. It's really that simple.

having started the thread I can assure you I never thought Robinson was being slighted b y the Boyz. He was slighted by the Mel Kiper types who say what's popular

Nor did I ever say "Woods was given the starting job by Stephen". he played well enough for them to feel good about moving Jones to RC. BTW, a lot of that was about a decision to play more press than man outside and blitz. So Woods became the presumptive starter, that's not being given a job, it's football

my point is basically that Woods in not a natural nor well trained FS, he's a SS/NS ... I started to edit a lot of tape to illustrate but found this:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...21FC6C564F96E38C4D5A21FC6C564F96&&FORM=VRDGAR

that is a guy good at man coverage, but an iffy open field tackler and not accustom to playing FS, it jumps off the tape

Woods has great play speed but turning him into real FS ... fixing his footwork and reads in a single off season is unlikely, it's already in Robinson's muscle memory, who had more competition and better coaching at Lincoln HS (San Diego) than Woods did at Lou Tech

Sydla, you may be able to read tea leaves and Stephen's mind but I'm talking facts and footwork

Sydla

Reaction score
I am not the one who commented on what Stephen thinks or did.

For me the answer is usually the simplest one. Woods is the starting FS because Richard and Marinelli believe Woods at FS gives the defense the best chance to succeed.

You may disagree.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
It would be great for the team if he can become a legit contributor when the team needs a safety. I am pulling for him to make the team whether it be as a roll player and STs or getting snaps in the game. This teams needs a couple of safety's so everyone should be hopeful he can step up and take advantage of what is front of him.

cern

Reaction score
Stephen did not make woods the starter. he did not make Byron jones a corner. he did not move Jourdan lewis to slot corner, behind Anthony brown. Kris Richard has made those decisions. what stephen does is he works on advice from will mcclay to bring in players. to think otherwise is ludicrous.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://insidethestar.com/can-cowboys-s-tyree-robinson-take-advantage-of-his-opportunity/

Robinson likely plays his way on the roster for a couple of reasons

1 - he's a good FS, probably better than Woods to begin with, don't get me wrong, that's high praise

2 - with all 3 R1 picks on the OL facing health issues ... there's no way the Boys pay up for a significant veteran DB

Pro/Con on your thread

Pro:
6-2, 4.54 forty, 37 vert

Only about 7 DBs are locks giving him a good chance to make the roster since they'll carry 9 or 10.

I doubt anybody but you has focused on Robinson this preseason which makes opposing arguments somewhat meaningless.

Con:
You would get a better response if you didn't make a "look at me" thread. Just say you think he has excellent potential.

You could have said that with Woods injured, you prefer Robinson=FS and Heath=SS instead of Heath=FS and Frazier=SS.

My take:
They won't have a rookie UDFA as a starting Safety for game 1.

If he is good, they give him a few snaps and increase the snaps as the season progresses. That's what they did with Frazier last season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
having started the thread I can assure you I never thought Robinson was being slighted b y the Boyz. He was slighted by the Mel Kiper types who say what's popular

Nor did I ever say "Woods was given the starting job by Stephen". he played well enough for them to feel good about moving Jones to RC. BTW, a lot of that was about a decision to play more press than man outside and blitz. So Woods became the presumptive starter, that's not being given a job, it's football

my point is basically that Woods in not a natural nor well trained FS, he's a SS/NS ... I started to edit a lot of tape to illustrate but found this:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...21FC6C564F96E38C4D5A21FC6C564F96&&FORM=VRDGAR

that is a guy good at man coverage, but an iffy open field tackler and not accustom to playing FS, it jumps off the tape

Woods has great play speed but turning him into real FS ... fixing his footwork and reads in a single off season is unlikely, it's already in Robinson's muscle memory, who had more competition and better coaching at Lincoln HS (San Diego) than Woods did at Lou Tech

Sydla, you may be able to read tea leaves and Stephen's mind but I'm talking facts and footwork

Interesting to see the split on his snap count.
249 Slot-CB
223 FS
75 Other (SS, LB, Outside CB)

Judging DBs from last season is difficult because Kris Richard runs a different scheme and coaches different technique.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We have coaches that see these guys every day.

So no Robinson is not better than Woods.

I'm not sure Robinson is even better than Showers, but he might get a roster spot since Showers is out.

Billyd

Reaction score
Maybe my issue with Stephen being tardy in getting safety depth caused you to mis see what i said..Let me make it clear..

There are 32 teams in the Nfl that decided not to draft Robinson...Were they all stupid?

Richards probly was very on board for Earl, But the person who makes those decisions did not fall for what seattle was cooking.. (That was the correct move, Stephen still in my doghouse.)

STEPHEN never once thought to draft a fs with a pick they could have used they took Shultzy on.

THE Nfl overall thinks a FS SHOULD have better than avg speed, or Great lateral, with excellent ball skills, and a intelligence for the game..

I DONT see too many 6-2 or more safeties in the game..Not that we should...

Point is that evaluating players based soley on how tall, or how long their arms are, doesnt seem to have much play in the Nfl..

No matter what your opinion is, the Cowboys got 4th rd value out of Woods, hell Probably higher than that concerning he had significant snaps last year..He earned it, and as soon as healthy i think with Kris he going to help this defense do amazing things..Robinson is a,dev player at best atm, and all of your wind just speculation..

Sydla

Reaction score
dude, every team passed on Romo and Leary. For that matter Warren Moon.

And for every Romo and Leary there are hundreds and hundreds of UDFAs that just are UDFAs because they weren't very good and prove that in camps around the country.

In other words, when you asked if Robinson can make a move, the smart money is on him likely not being much because those UDFAs that eventually become something are rare.

Sydla

Reaction score
A bet?

OK, Robinson won’t become an All Pro. If he does, I’ll send you a case of Bud Light Orange.

If he doesn’t, you owe me one million dollars.