Do you think the Cowboys should look to lock up Gallup?

Jkyle

Reaction score
Money shouldn't be a factor since Cooper is only guaranteed his 2021 salary of $20 million and then can be released after the season with a $6 million cap hit and Lamb has 3 years left on his rookie deal at under $4 million avg a year.
Of course it's all dependent on whether Cooper balls out this year and then Jerry would likely pick up his '22 salary of $20 million which is guaranteed at the beginning of the 22 calendar season in April.
If that happens, it may not be feasible to have that much invested in the receiver corp.
Gallup is a top end # 2 receiver and likely deserves a $10 - 12 million p/yr range.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Money shouldn't be a factor since Cooper is only guaranteed his 2021 salary of $20 million and then can be released after the season with a $6 million cap hit and Lamb has 3 years left on his rookie deal at under $4 million avg a year.
Of course it's all dependent on whether Cooper balls out this year and then Jerry would likely pick up his '22 salary of $20 million which is guaranteed at the beginning of the 22 calendar season in April.
If that happens, it may not be feasible to have that much invested in the receiver corp.
Gallup is a top end # 2 receiver and likely deserves a $10 - 12 million p/yr range.

All depends on what Gallup wants. If he is willing to sign like a 4 year deal at 13 million a year, then I go with Gallup and trade Cooper.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
So many scenarios are possible to play out here, however, I've really liked what I've seen from Gallup. If he has a big year, even a really solid year, he most likely will price himself out of Dallas. With all that said, I would love for him to stay on the team.

It will be interesting to see this season with a healthy Dak, Cooper, Gallup, and Lamb. That's a potent bunch, but, there is only 1 ball to spread around. Time will tell!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well if that's true then it's a failure of the organization to not be able to keep Cooper or Gallup, but then again, what's new?

The reasoning behind my opinion would be due to cap and economics. Too many big money contracts already that they will be needing to get out of in the next year or two.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I would say if Gallup is a 1000 yard receiver and then we cut Amari....I rather keep Schultz if he balls out again this year and have 2 TEs and 2 WR that can play, as opposed to 3 WRs and 1 TE. Plus we still have Wilson (perhaps) and hopefully Fehoko can contribute.....

Also, I seriously doubt if Gallup is going to be resigned for 10-12M....that's way too low these days for a quality starting WR.

John813

Reaction score
I mean....Juju did just sign for what? 1 years 8 million?
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...r-contract-steelers/xpnw1pf1x9xa17kn9qdjttp0g
NFL Network's Taylor Bisciotti reported the following offers:

Kansas City Chiefs offered $8 million, with another $3 million in incentives.

The Ravens offered $9 million, with another $4 million in incentives.

He turned down deals up to 13mil to stay with Pitt.
Also, last year was a weird time for some as teams were in a cap crunch and had to get creative.

Also, Juju had been dealing with a knee injury, which supposedly had to drained quite a few times last year.

Per the source, the knee injury that'd nagged JuJu throughout the season flared up in the later part of the schedule, causing him to miss practices -- he sat out two in the week leading up to the playoff game against the Browns -- and causing him to have that knee drained of fluid frequently to allow him to compete in games. Most often, that draining would occur on Fridays of game weeks.

https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2021...uju-smith-schuster-injury-knee-free-agency-dk

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
They don't need 3 WR's. Gallup will be gone before the season starts. He's a very valuable pawn.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I am very curious to see how Fehoko and the UFAs perform this camp. The UFAs could have a few gems: Vasher, Eagles, Smith, and Mitchell. Parker, who was on the PS last year, was looking good at OTAs.

If these players show something, both Cooper and Gallup could be gone. Not likely but could happen.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I like the way you think. I believe Coop is going to struggle this coming season with his ankle. He'll try to play through it but he won't be the WR we need as our 1WR. We'll need to re-sign Gallup if we are to retain a viable 1-2 punch at the WR position beyond 2021. I'd rather trade Coop than release him so we get something in return.

starfan1

Reaction score
all depends on health. When healthy Cooper is by far our best WR and its not even close. His route tree and route running are exceptional. Now if Lamb improves his game and steps then letting cooper walk is a discussion to be had. who knows someone may emerge out of the others its hard telling. Both Lamb and Gallup need to work on the dropsies