Do you think the Cowboys should look to lock up Gallup?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They don't need 3 WR's. Gallup will be gone before the season starts. He's a very valuable pawn.

I think this team needs 3 receivers.....its the only strength they have until proven otherwise.

Yea but Juju sucks and it was in the depressed market because of the cap decline
Juju sucks? What?

And it had nothing to do with the market did you see what Golladay got? Eagles also offered him more money as well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...r-contract-steelers/xpnw1pf1x9xa17kn9qdjttp0g
NFL Network's Taylor Bisciotti reported the following offers:

Kansas City Chiefs offered $8 million, with another $3 million in incentives.

The Ravens offered $9 million, with another $4 million in incentives.

He turned down deals up to 13mil to stay with Pitt.
Also, last year was a weird time for some as teams were in a cap crunch and had to get creative.

Also, Juju had been dealing with a knee injury, which supposedly had to drained quite a few times last year.

Per the source, the knee injury that'd nagged JuJu throughout the season flared up in the later part of the schedule, causing him to miss practices -- he sat out two in the week leading up to the playoff game against the Browns -- and causing him to have that knee drained of fluid frequently to allow him to compete in games. Most often, that draining would occur on Fridays of game weeks.

https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2021...uju-smith-schuster-injury-knee-free-agency-dk
Alright i'm good with that. Let's sign him to 8 million and 4 in incentives....that'll work lol.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think this team needs 3 receivers.....its the only strength they have until proven otherwise.

Juju sucks? What?

And it had nothing to do with the market did you see what Golladay got? Eagles also offered him more money as well.
Sucks is the wrong word, but he's not a #1 or anything like that. He's a role-playing WR - basically the same player as Cole Beasley. There are probably 20 guys in the league who can do what he does. Plus, he's a pain

Golladay is way better.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sucks is the wrong word, but he's not a #1 or anything like that. He's a role-playing WR - basically the same player as Cole Beasley. There are probably 20 guys in the league who can do what he does. Plus, he's a pain

Golladay is way better.

Way better is subjective...Juju is 3 years younger and he's outproduced him thus far in the league.

And just because there's 20 guys in the league that can do what he does.........that's still pretty good company lol. Is he a star? No. Is he as good as Gallup? I'd probably say better based on what he's shown.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Look around. Getting harder and harder to sign players who will live up to the contract they agreed too.
Don't like the money? Just refuse to show up. Holdout. Go to Cabo. Cry to the media, your mom, the guy pumping gas, or the McDonald's fry cook.
Get your way or the team suffers.

Gallup hasn't been that guy. He's the guy who deserves to maximize his earnings whether its here or not.

I'd say no to any first offer, a low ball offer, hometown discount, or any other foolishness.
Gallup shows up, does his job, and doesn't complain. He's earned whatever he can get.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No. You can not keep everybody and Gallup is replaceable. If Fehoku or however you spell that speed demon can not show something then we just draft another guy.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Keep all of them It is the best thing to do Jerry can spend his money any way he wants to

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Way better is subjective...Juju is 3 years younger and he's outproduced him thus far in the league.

And just because there's 20 guys in the league that can do what he does.........that's still pretty good company lol. Is he a star? No. Is he as good as Gallup? I'd probably say better based on what he's shown.
Can he win a contested ball 40 yards down the field? No. That ability is far more valuable than anything Juju does.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Golladay is way better.

Right, cause we replaced Beasley so easily right?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Can he win a contested ball 40 yards down the field? No. That ability is far more valuable than anything Juju does.
No its not....40 yard jumpballs happen what? A few times a year lol? That is not the standard for what makes a receiver good. How many jumpballs do you see Tyreke Hill catch lol? Or Amari Cooper?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They should absolutely make contact with his agent and see what page everyone is on.

DAL should be looking at 12-14M a year for Gallup. Hoping to get 5 years with only the first 2 GTD.
Gallup's agent likely wants more like 15M a year with the first 3 years GTD.

Those numbers are high but the cap is going to balloon and fast.
Unless you draft a guy an average WR2 is going to get 10+M per year in FA.

Dallas needs to get in front of deals not pretend the cap won't go up then look shocked when they are stuck letting him walk for a round 4 comp pick.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No its not....40 yard jumpballs happen what? A few times a year lol? That is not the standard for what makes a receiver good. How many jumpballs do you see Tyreke Hill catch lol? Or Amari Cooper?
Uh, contested balls happen on just about every series, it's not just about being downfield.

I didn't say that's the standard. But when you're talking about a #2 or #3 receiver, what they offer matters. There are far more players who are redundant with Juju - 20 was probably really low - than there are Golladya.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and ending up in this scenario would be absolutely dumb

We’ll see. I could be wrong and they ultimately keep two of them. But I think there’s a connection between drafting Fehoko and interest in undrafted receivers and the future receiver costs and free agents. I expect to see a lot of changes in the wide receiver group.

fansince68

Reaction score
If the cowboys suck right out the gate, Gallup will be shopped just before the trade deadline. Besides, Amari can do anything that Gallup can do, but Gallup does not have the foot work and quickness out of the break like Amari. We have one big contract WR, we shouldn't try to afford 2. But then again, Jerry loves shiny toys to play with.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Do you think the Cowboys should look to lock up Gallup?
Money shouldn't be a factor since Cooper is only guaranteed his 2021 salary of $20 million and then can be released after the season with a $6 million cap hit and Lamb has 3 years left on his rookie deal at under $4 million avg a year.
Of course it's all dependent on whether Cooper balls out this year and then Jerry would likely pick up his '22 salary of $20 million which is guaranteed at the beginning of the 22 calendar season in April.
If that happens, it may not be feasible to have that much invested in the receiver corp.
Gallup is a top end # 2 receiver and likely deserves a $10 - 12 million p/yr range.

Money is always a factor in a capped league. $10-12mil/year for a WR#2? No. And Gallup is *already* our #3. Let him go. Get the comp pick. Move toward the day when Lamb takes over for Cooper at WR#1.

We have way too much invested at WR already. We should cash out Gallup *today* for a similar quality DT or FS in his contract year. Our team would be *better* if we did. I'd take a #2 and like it.

Always beware pumping money into a #2WR. Terrance had *good* productivity per target on paper with Dez on the field and a powerful running game. Then washed out of the league. Harper did squat as a #1 for Tampa. #2s are often a mirage, propped up by defensive attention spread to the rest of the skill players.

Redline360

Reaction score
This season will be a good tell. As of right now he's floating on the boundary of being a WR1 for most teams however he does play opposite of Cooper who draws TONS of attention away from him

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If I was the string puller I would watch Cee Dee closely in the first half of the season. I would rotate Cee Dee with Coop and Gallup to see how Cee Dee fares at playing on the outside. The purpose would be giving Cee Dee a tryout at a position other than the slot. it would also serve to mind meld the defense not knowing who was going to be where.

If Cee Dee can handle the #1 WR position, I would go to work on signing Gallup in the second half of the season. I know Cee Dee will end up boing the best receiver on this team. But a trail under fire would answer any questions. Then the team can prep to move Coop, or Gallup, depending.

The trade Gallup depends on how well Simi Fehoko adjusts. He has the height to supplant Gallup, but you need to know he can play the position relatively well.

As far as don't need three receivers, that is a fan assumption.