Do you think the Cowboys should look to lock up Gallup?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gallup does have a huge "specialty" upside. His sideline catches are spectacular. He can be a very exciting player. And of course CD is a rising superstar (who will cost us eventually) But if I had to part with one...it'd be Gallup.

And then I would ask Coop to become more..."engaged". He has the potential to "lead" and inspire this team. No.....not dancing in the endzone or having a fit on the sidelines but just be more interactive. I know...he's a quiet, no drama fellow.

And "secretly" hoping fehoko might step into solid #3 spot?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Money shouldn't be a factor since Cooper is only guaranteed his 2021 salary of $20 million and then can be released after the season with a $6 million cap hit and Lamb has 3 years left on his rookie deal at under $4 million avg a year.
Of course it's all dependent on whether Cooper balls out this year and then Jerry would likely pick up his '22 salary of $20 million which is guaranteed at the beginning of the 22 calendar season in April.
If that happens, it may not be feasible to have that much invested in the receiver corp.
Gallup is a top end # 2 receiver and likely deserves a $10 - 12 million p/yr range.
Nope, can't put those kinda resources in one position.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I will hate to see Gallup leave. Hopefully, something gets worked out and he's able to remain with the Dallas Cowboys.
That would be optimal, but we're just going to have to see how things play out this season before questions can be answered.

IMO

Verdict

Reaction score
We’ll see. I could be wrong and they ultimately keep two of them. But I think there’s a connection between drafting Fehoko and interest in undrafted receivers and the future receiver costs and free agents. I expect to see a lot of changes in the wide receiver group.
I don’t know what the Cowboys will do, but we have a lot of money and draft picks already tied up at that position. At some point they will have to dollar cost average down a little or cut salary allocation at another position.

The Cowboys would be remiss not to look at at ways to save cap space, including receiver.

Verdict

Reaction score
Gallup is a good receiver who may not have hit his ceiling. It would not surprise me if he blows it up in a year or two. But so far he is a 2/3 receiver and that’s all he has shown.

Receiver tends to be a position where you can find a player anywhere in the draft. I wouldn’t give Gallup away. But if I could flip him for a 2nd round pick, I would do it if I thought I could get similar play out of the guys behind him.

Anything less than that I let him play out the season and revisit it at the trade deadline.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Gallup is a good receiver who may not have hit his ceiling. It would not surprise me if he blows it up in a year or two. But so far he is a 2/3 receiver and that’s all he has shown.

Receiver tends to be a position where you can find a player anywhere in the draft. I wouldn’t give Gallup away. But if I could flip him for a 2nd round pick, I would do it if I thought I could get similar play out of the guys behind him.

Anything less than that I let him play out the season and revisit it at the trade deadline.
One of the best posters here.
Agree, or not, I appreciate you and your work.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Money shouldn't be a factor since Cooper is only guaranteed his 2021 salary of $20 million and then can be released after the season with a $6 million cap hit and Lamb has 3 years left on his rookie deal at under $4 million avg a year.
Of course it's all dependent on whether Cooper balls out this year and then Jerry would likely pick up his '22 salary of $20 million which is guaranteed at the beginning of the 22 calendar season in April.
If that happens, it may not be feasible to have that much invested in the receiver corp.
Gallup is a top end # 2 receiver and likely deserves a $10 - 12 million p/yr range.
He will replace Cooper eventually

T-RO

Reaction score
We are 24 million in the hole w/the cap for 2022.

Chances are anorexic slim.....and none that we'll have money for Gallup.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Depends on what Gallup wants. Worst comes to worst, we could draft another one if he wants too much. But, I wouldn't mind extending Gallup if he wants a reasonable deal.

T-RO

Reaction score
And then I would ask Coop to become more..."engaged".

Don't care a lick about his 'vibe'. He produces big time and he doesn't create energy draining drama, on field or off it. He's got an introverted, artistic mentality. Paints patterns on the field that dizzy opponents. Might have the best footwork in the game. He's played through a lot of pain with plantar fascia. Guy has lotta heart, it's just quiet and internal.

Dude plays chess off field...and on it. Love it!

If we need to get leadership elsewhere (we do), then let's cultivate it or find it. That's not who Coop is, and it's absurd to keep asking for it w/52 other guys on roster. Embrace the good--there's tons of it there.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Do you want a costlier Ferrari that always has a flat tire or two...

Or...

Do you want a more affordable mid-engine Corvette Stingray that has good tires and performs well?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
We are 24 million in the hole w/the cap for 2022.

Chances are anorexic slim.....and none that we'll have money for Gallup.

As long as everything stays tepid with COVID, we’ll get butts in seats and the projected cap next year will spike. Dallas will be in the green, but some cap funny business will be required as well.

T-RO

Reaction score
some cap funny business will be required as well.

We've been playing that cap game for a few years now...kicking the can down the street. I'm sure some of those games will continue, but doubt you want to/can pay a third receiver mega bucks, after all the silly contracts that have already been dished.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Don't break the bank for your 3rd best WR. We still would have two outstanding WRs and a QB who is paid like the best in the NFL. Should be able to manage without him.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
We've been playing that cap game for a few years now...kicking the can down the street. I'm sure some of those games will continue, but doubt you want to/can pay a third receiver mega bucks, after all the silly contracts that have already been dished.

From my perspective, if you trade Cooper after the season, you can sign Gallup for cheaper AND get a really nice day 2 pick out of it.

draft a defenseman with starter potential in the second round, and then instead of a 6m$ defensive player in FA, you can now sign a much better 10m$ player with the WR contract difference. Multiple defensive upgrades and you still keep your home grown, younger, less injury-prone WR. Or you could even just draft another WR with hopes to repeat the process in 4 years time.