Do you trust MM late game management?

blueblood70

Reaction score
YES,

I know that people around here want to make that their favorite thing to pick on Mike McCarthy about but I'd say 80% of the decisions he's made since he's been here that were controversial questionable that were being picked apart I think he was right..i understand why he did it..

you literally need to be in the flow of the game and understand the deficiencies in that particular game on whatever group is not functioning properly and Mike McCarthy is making decisions to protect the defense, or the field goal kicker, or the punter or the offense or whatnot...

he's not always just looking at the clock or using the book,

he has to look ahead three or four snaps and say hey if we don't score here our defense might not be able to stop them, so let's go for seven versus 3, he has to think outside the box in each game and throw away the book and throw away the notion that fans think they know more than head coaches because of what typically is done in situational football he has to sometimes make decisions for his team on whatever part of the game he needs to protect...

Literally Mike McCarthy has been protecting a lot of it was the defense but in each of these games where some of his decisions were questioned I agree with most of them because I understand what he was trying to accomplish sometimes you gotta be aggressive and go against the grain and not have the traditional thinking and using this alleged book that fans think they no he should have used...

JayFord

Reaction score
Yes yes i do

we cant just lose trust because mistakes were made

like we didnt just have Jason Garrett who was known for late game gaffes and never learned from it

JayFord

Reaction score
j
It’s funny because clock management subjective. There’s not one way to call a game. It changes with personnel. People are getting on Campbell for going for it but that’s what works for his team.
exactly....yeah sometimes MM makes decisions that dont make sense to me

but he isnt known for late game gaffes anyone saying otherwise just wants to complain like they didnt witness jason garrett go 10+ years making late game mistakes and not correcting himself

ChrisL97

Reaction score
j

exactly....yeah sometimes MM makes decisions that dont make sense to me

but he isnt known for late game gaffes anyone saying otherwise just wants to complain like they didnt witness jason garrett go 10+ years making late game mistakes and not correcting himself
Tell GB fans that. He was roasted continually for his clock management.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't matter if we do. It matters if the team does.

But to answer the question, he gives solid B+ clock management. So basically he's going to make more awesome calls than head scratching calls.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Well imo the game against Detroit was managed poorly. I wouldn't have done it this way but I'm not the HC of this team. So whatever qualified facts my strategy is based on, he's the expert. And by the way, he called some very good games this season already. Wearing down the clock with clever runs is part of his play sheet. Plus we don't really have a rungame anymore so that limits his options.

And that's why I don't question him overall. Just like I won't question Dak overall. But I can point out weaknesses or simple fails or bad games. And the problem of the team has never been lack of talent, performance or even the "win it all" potential. Mike, Dak and the gang have the potential to win it all. The problem of this team over the last couple of years (ever since they could be called a contender) has been consistency. Not just mistakes, but real dips below the acceptable level. In the past it has bitten us in the arse at the wrong time on quite a few occasions. So the Detroit game is none of my concern anymore. It was won dispite a couple of questionable decisions, and thanks to the Eagles' collapse we have the division still in our own hands. But a close game in the play offs will kill us with poor clock management. So I really hope Mike will be on top of his game then. And atm with the course of the season so far in mind I still trust him.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Tell GB fans that. He was roasted continually for his clock management.
They scapegoated Mike and won nothing after he left. Not saying they are wrong because I’m sure he’s had mistakes but it’s no different than any coach. People complain after losses. You win and nobody cares…..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The decisions to throw were fine.

Every coach makes late-game decisions that we can second guess. McCarthy is no different.
That’s my stance. You can second every coach from your couch. At the end of the day it was time to abort after the tripping call. Mike knows his team and he knew he didn’t want his defense back out there if he didn’t have to.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
We also don't know what goes down on the sidelines. Maybe his team comes up to him and tells him they can make a play with a throw there. I get he is the coach and can reject that, but something has to be said about trusting your team and instilling some confidence into them. Obvious speculation, but I'm trying to look at both ends of the spectrum here. Had Dak connected on that throw, there would be 10 threads about how gutsy Big Mac is and how he believed in his team to win. lol