Do you trust MM late game management?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Well imo the game against Detroit was managed poorly. I wouldn't have done it this way but I'm not the HC of this team. So whatever qualified facts my strategy is based on, he's the expert. And by the way, he called some very good games this season already. Wearing down the clock with clever runs is part of his play sheet. Plus we don't really have a rungame anymore so that limits his options.

And that's why I don't question him overall. Just like I won't question Dak overall. But I can point out weaknesses or simple fails or bad games. And the problem of the team has never been lack of talent, performance or even the "win it all" potential. Mike, Dak and the gang have the potential to win it all. The problem of this team over the last couple of years (ever since they could be called a contender) has been consistency. Not just mistakes, but real dips below the acceptable level. In the past it has bitten us in the arse at the wrong time on quite a few occasions. So the Detroit game is none of my concern anymore. It was won dispite a couple of questionable decisions, and thanks to the Eagles' collapse we have the division still in our own hands. But a close game in the play offs will kill us with poor clock management. So I really hope Mike will be on top of his game then. And atm with the course of the season so far in mind I still trust him.
Truth!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think passing the ball to get closer to a 1st down was ok, the way CeeDee was getting open. But that particular play was a low percentage pass.
Try something over the middle for a modest gain.

Was it a miscommunication or not, who knows.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Two ill-advised, low percentage passes called late in the game vs Seattle and Detroit gave our opponents an extra 40-45 seconds to come down and score and beat us. We were fortunate to win both games.
Disagree that either one was "ill-advised" given the whole of the two situations. Reasonable minds can disagree, and do.

links18

Reaction score
Absolutely not. There's no rational basis to trust him after the gaffes he keeps making. Quinn's strategy late in games has been troubling also.

CWR

Reaction score
I agree with that. Dak said he got greedy which if so is just stupid. All you want is a 1st down, you don't want to score there so maybe the issue is Dak half the time. Remember the audible to a QB sneak against Philly that would have wasted 15 seconds of the remaining 28 had there not been a penalty. Not throwing the ball away on the next play....

Dak's late game decision making is very suspect as well!
Yeah I wondered if Dak took a greedy read because it was so stupid if designed that way.

CWR

Reaction score
No.

You throw a low-risk pass. There is no high-percentage pass there, because the defense is going to be covering everything short and middle of the field. An incompletion hurts, but an INT is crippling there.
Yes I remember they also needed to be in field goal range, and we wanted a first to leave zero time. Run game was also crap.

There may not have been a "high percentage" pass there, but they ended up on the lowest possible percentage. It was a poor selection period.

They obviously didn't crowd too hard because we clearly sent deep guys and they faired no better. I'd have looked for a little rub route or have the running back leak out or something giving us better odds.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I dont even trust him to change the Date on his watch,he will probably brick the watch.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I started a thread a few weeks back where Jimmy Johnson reported that it is Schottenheimer who has clock mgmt responsibilities and he communcates this to MM. This is OBVIOUSLY FLAWED and situations like Sat night show why. Who is going to stop MM the playcaller and remind him he's the coach that needs to manage the clock?

Rayman70

Reaction score
well, I trust him enough. Many topflight coaches this year seem to be struggling with clock management stuff. Its league wide. Lets stop honing in on 1 coach as if he the only guy that is imperfect in this department. Lets ask Denver fans about Sean Payton. Hè's been horrid with his clock management and much more. I rather have Mike M than not have him. Gotta take the good with the not so good sometimes.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Are some really saying the “decision to throw was fine”?

I’m sorry but that’s so wrong it physically hurt me. No way you pass there. Never. It’s one of the most basic and easiest calls to make. Run and the game is essentially over. Pass and you’re making their chance of winning go waaay up.

Unbelievably bad decision.

ICP

Reaction score
I don't trust Fatso's game management during any part of a game

popp1234

Reaction score
After watching the Detroit game. He needs a wake up call in basic clock management.
I will continue to say that one of the primary reasons for Bill Belichick's coaching success (other than Brady) is his ability to apply common sense. Not so common.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree to an extent, but in the situations in Seattle and Detroit the risk/reward was not worth it. If we keep the clock moving Seattle and Detroit only have 30-35 seconds to drive 75 yards to score a TD with no timeouts left. Stopping the clock twice gave them an extra minute and 15 seconds or so to score. An extra minute and 15 seconds is an eternity in that situation! Teams in that situation will go for it on 4th down and they are going up tempo. A team can get a hell of a lot of extra plays off in 1 minute and 15 seconds.
I like McCarthy’s aggressiveness most of the time, but sometimes the smart thing to do is to be less aggressive AND keep the clock moving.

I will say in the Detroit game. After stopping the clock twice on low probability throws, we probably should have went for it on 4th down, if Quinn and McCarthy were going to go into a super soft prevent defense.
Like I said the situation changed he looked like he literally wanted to run the clock out on that last drive got a nice run by Tony Pollard call back over a phantom tripping call that changed his whole thinking said to stop the clock put us back 15 yards and put us into throwing situations and I realize we're only up by four he wanted to be up by more than seven to guarantee we don't lose the game so I get why he did that blame the referees they screwed the whole game up they even missed the full grab of a face mask on Tony Pollard in that game about 3 holding calls on Parsons again and you still have the lions fans crying if the game was called properly the Cowboys win by 10 we're not even talking about this.... But his mindset changed after the penalty so blame the referees once again but I know why he did it he didn't trust the defense for good reason look what happened in the Miami game and look what did happen even after the field goal this defense has been a utter disappointment all year in situations like this you could talk about Mike McCarthy all the time but we would need to talk about Dan Quinn and his inability to call the right defense at the right time especially to milk the clock away...

If you go all the way back to his days with Atlanta you look back at some of the issues last year with blowing big leads in the fourth quarter in Jacksonville and Green Bay Dan Quinn's been a bigger issue here than Mike McCarthy and I definitely don't want him to be our next head coach and then if you look at the decisions in that line game by their head coach who had many opportunities to change his mind and kick the extra point he got ultra aggressive and he lost his team the game so this happens all around the league look at this stuff that Brandon Staley did and we see coaches all over going against the old guards book the new way to coach with analytics and in game flow decisions in real time have changed..

So, question them all you want he's the head coach of a professional team he has Lombardi trophy he's been to the championship games before he has our team playing the best ball the most consistent ball since the mid 90s so whatever you feel you think was the right decision, I'm betting you he says it wasn't and I'll take his word for it...

And like you said for the most part you agree with me and for the most part I agree with you I'm glad we don't have Jason Garrett anymore purposely lining up for field goals and playing to not lose games at least Mike McCarthy's trying to win games he literally was going for it in both the Miami game and the lions game he was not going to allow the defense to lose the game he did all he could...

817Gill

Reaction score
Every single coach except for maybe Belichek has late game clock management issues. It was Andy Reid’s calling card before Mahomes.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I would challenge those who didn't like his clock management to break it down and show us what he did wrong and why. And prove to me we have the offensive players to support your execution. Just want to know if it's more "following the media crowd" talking out of the butt, or they really know what he's doing wrong. I heard Big Mac's explanation why he did what he did in his PC, and made sense to me.