Do you trust MM late game management?

CWR

Reaction score
The decisions to throw were fine.

Every coach makes late-game decisions that we can second guess. McCarthy is no different.
The decisions to throw were forced by the erroneous tripping flag. However, pick a higher percentage pass on 2nd down. That was a bad play for the time.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The decisions to throw were forced by the erroneous tripping flag. However, pick a higher percentage pass on 2nd down. That was a bad play for the time.
No.

You throw a low-risk pass. There is no high-percentage pass there, because the defense is going to be covering everything short and middle of the field. An incompletion hurts, but an INT is crippling there.

catiii

Reaction score
Two ill-advised, low percentage passes called late in the game vs Seattle and Detroit gave our opponents an extra 40-45 seconds to come down and score and beat us. We were fortunate to win both games.
No I do not trust him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I agree with that. Dak said he got greedy which if so is just stupid. All you want is a 1st down, you don't want to score there so maybe the issue is Dak half the time. Remember the audible to a QB sneak against Philly that would have wasted 15 seconds of the remaining 28 had there not been a penalty. Not throwing the ball away on the next play....

Dak's late game decision making is very suspect as well!

Creeper

Reaction score
I've gone through this and while I would have done something differently against Detroit, I understand what McCarthy was thinking. MM was worried not only about time, but also field position. This is correct thinking IMO. He did not want to give the Lions the ball back in good field position after that ridiculous penalty was called against Dallas. To me that penalty was more significant than the call on the 2pt conversion which never would have happened if not for the tripping penalty called on Dallas. If the ball does not get moved back 15 yards I have no doubt McCarthy runs the ball 3 times taking another 55 seconds off the clock, at least. If the Cowboys get the 1st down, the game is over.

One other thing to remember on that 2nd and 14. Dak did not have to throw the ball there. He could have tucked it and run. I think he had a little room to run and get maybe a couple of yards, but the clock would have kept running. Dak has to have better situational awareness on that play. He could not take a sack, and he could not throw incomplete. But as we have seen from Dallas this year, in those critical situations something bad happened. This time it was a miscommunications between Dak and the receiver who cut the route short while Dak was looking deep. If Dak completes the ball underneath, even if it is not for a 1st down, no harm is done and on 3rd down Dallas has short yardage for a conversion. A first down ends the game.

MM was being aggressive but I don't think it was absurdly aggressive, like Campbell was all game.

Even if they run the ball there and take 40 seconds off the clock, Detroit still gets the ball back with a minute left in the game. That is plenty of time to score a TD if the defense plays as soft as Dallas's defense play. And that is the most concerning thing about the game. The defense let Detroit just stroll down the field for an easy stress free TD. No pressure on the QB, no tight coverages on the receivers. Every pass was an easy pitch and catch. I have no idea what Quinn was thinking. Why not dial up the pressures? You knew the Lions had to throw the ball.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Since the Cowboys are on the cusp of another 12 win season and a division crown, I say yes.

He should relinquish the game manager duties to Shotteheimer. Calling plays in an NFL game is fully consuming duty.

kumizi

Reaction score
No

He’s been known to suck at that part of the job going back a decade.

I usually like his aggressiveness but decisions like last week throwing the ball when the other team only has 2 timeouts left are inexcusable.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
YES,

I know that people around here want to make that their favorite thing to pick on Mike McCarthy about but I'd say 80% of the decisions he's made since he's been here that were controversial questionable that were being picked apart I think he was right..i understand why he did it..

you literally need to be in the flow of the game and understand the deficiencies in that particular game on whatever group is not functioning properly and Mike McCarthy is making decisions to protect the defense, or the field goal kicker, or the punter or the offense or whatnot...

he's not always just looking at the clock or using the book,

he has to look ahead three or four snaps and say hey if we don't score here our defense might not be able to stop them, so let's go for seven versus 3, he has to think outside the box in each game and throw away the book and throw away the notion that fans think they know more than head coaches because of what typically is done in situational football he has to sometimes make decisions for his team on whatever part of the game he needs to protect...

Literally Mike McCarthy has been protecting a lot of it was the defense but in each of these games where some of his decisions were questioned I agree with most of them because I understand what he was trying to accomplish sometimes you gotta be aggressive and go against the grain and not have the traditional thinking and using this alleged book that fans think they no he should have used...
I agree to an extent, but in the situations in Seattle and Detroit the risk/reward was not worth it. If we keep the clock moving Seattle and Detroit only have 30-35 seconds to drive 75 yards to score a TD with no timeouts left. Stopping the clock twice gave them an extra minute and 15 seconds or so to score. An extra minute and 15 seconds is an eternity in that situation! Teams in that situation will go for it on 4th down and they are going up tempo. A team can get a hell of a lot of extra plays off in 1 minute and 15 seconds.
I like McCarthy’s aggressiveness most of the time, but sometimes the smart thing to do is to be less aggressive AND keep the clock moving.

I will say in the Detroit game. After stopping the clock twice on low probability throws, we probably should have went for it on 4th down, if Quinn and McCarthy were going to go into a super soft prevent defense.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Two ill-advised, low percentage passes called late in the game vs Seattle and Detroit gave our opponents an extra 40-45 seconds to come down and score and beat us.
Again, Mike didn't "call" for that pass. Dak ignored a wide open Ferguson underneath, which is where the ball was supposed to go.

Dak admitted he made the mistake in the PC.

I wish people would educate themselves before repeating these narratives, but they seem to have little interest in doing so.

Sydla

Reaction score
YES,

I know that people around here want to make that their favorite thing to pick on Mike McCarthy about but I'd say 80% of the decisions he's made since he's been here that were controversial questionable that were being picked apart I think he was right..i understand why he did it..

you literally need to be in the flow of the game and understand the deficiencies in that particular game on whatever group is not functioning properly and Mike McCarthy is making decisions to protect the defense, or the field goal kicker, or the punter or the offense or whatnot...

he's not always just looking at the clock or using the book,

he has to look ahead three or four snaps and say hey if we don't score here our defense might not be able to stop them, so let's go for seven versus 3, he has to think outside the box in each game and throw away the book and throw away the notion that fans think they know more than head coaches because of what typically is done in situational football he has to sometimes make decisions for his team on whatever part of the game he needs to protect...

Literally Mike McCarthy has been protecting a lot of it was the defense but in each of these games where some of his decisions were questioned I agree with most of them because I understand what he was trying to accomplish sometimes you gotta be aggressive and go against the grain and not have the traditional thinking and using this alleged book that fans think they no he should have used...
He's made quite a few end game gaffes. And it was one of his issues in GB as well.

I get you are programmed to think everything is peachy great in Cowboys land but reality is, there's a decent enough chance in a close game, McCarthy could screw us.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Two ill-advised, low percentage passes called late in the game vs Seattle and Detroit gave our opponents an extra 40-45 seconds to come down and score and beat us. We were fortunate to win both games.
difficult to disagree.

Its been a problem.

He likes to gamble.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I trust him that he feels that the Cowboys must need to have the ball last then having Quinn close it out.