CZ POLL Do you want Ezekiel Elliott on the Cowboys in 2021?

Do you want Ezekiel Elliott on the Cowboys in 2021?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'd like to give Zeke one more year behind a healthy O-Line and alongside a 1st string QB. Then I will decide. jmo.

Not a real option.

Zeke's 2021 salary is already guaranteed, but to get Zeke in 2021 we have to guarantee 12.4mil for 2022 this March.

Keeping Zeke means spending 12.4mil for the next 2 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I heard or read it somewhere when the contract deadline was appearing. Can't remember where. Likely was a Cowboys show or frequent coverage reporter. I wouldn't make it up unless I heard it.
It was speculated they tried to make a last second deal. But I thought you said they later agreed on 35 with a handshake. I’ve never seen anything to support this claim.

I can’t imagine Dak caving in to Cowboys demands from last year. That 35 million discussion was based on Russel Wilson’s contract which we now have new bars with Mahomes and Watson.

Dak is definitely in Watson’s neighborhood of 40 million. And Jackson is sure to get in the 40’s too. Dak would be underselling himself at low 30’s now. I can’t imagine taking less than the Tag of 37.7.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There’s not a team in this league that would take his contract. Zero. And certainly not for a first round pick. That’s not a trade that could be made.

I agree, but there's always the option of paying down some of his contract as part of the trade. I consider the 2021 salary sunk cost and *still* don't want to spend the 12.4mil to get him for the next *2* years.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It was speculated they tried to make a last second deal. But I thought you said they later agreed on 35 with a handshake. I’ve never seen anything to support this claim.

I can’t imagine Dak caving in to Cowboys demands from last year. That 35 million discussion was based on Russel Wilson’s contract which we now have new bars with Mahomes and Watson.

Dak is definitely in Watson’s neighborhood of 40 million. And Jackson is sure to get in the 40’s too. Dak would be underselling himself at low 30’s now. I can’t imagine taking less than the Tag of 37.7.
I heard it from someone who deals with and talks about the Cowboys. Can't remember who.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Elliott contract dumber than dumb. Jethro panicked cause he was scared it would cost Dak after what we saw in 2017 if Zeke held out.

Maybe Dak should hold out. That tactic seems to work with our Football idiots. Remember it worked with Dez too even after he signed Tag threatened to sit out. Lol

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Then it really can’t be substantiated. Most anything can be googled . I tried and couldn’t find anything except what I shared.
Nope. You know me, I like to include links, pics, graphs and videos to support my comments. In this situation, I have neither. I'm simply stating what I heard. It's ok not to believe me.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Not even going to vote in this poll. :rolleyes:

It's a $35 million dead cap hit if Dallas releases him after this season. Your feelings don't change that.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why Emmit's backups always rushed for major yardage and tore it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of people don't know this, but from 1991-95 (except for '94), Emmitt averaged at least a full yard per carry more than his yop backup.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all the evidence in the NFL now about having a very good running game with young RBs on rookie deals, drafted in middle rounds instead of overpaying....is there a FO in the entire NFL besides Dallas that would make the same deal for Zeke that Jerry did? The Rams couldn’t wait to get rid of Gurley after their mistake.

Tenn has Derrick Henry on a second deal but he’s producing. Min just signed Dalvin Cook to a 5 yr $63 million deal (but only $28 mil is guaranteed) which I think is a mistake. But Zeke’s 6 yr, $90 mil with $50 mil guaranteed (some say only 28.5 is guaranteed) has set the market, but teams seem to be backing away from that kind of RB market.

However you slice it or view it, it’s very clear that most NFL FOs don’t think paying big bucks for a RB is wise cap management.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Contract-wise, it's too costly to cut him before the 2021 season is over. Would I want him back with how much he's getting paid? No. If he was paid less? Sure. He's a decent back. But since Jerry way overpaid for him, the point is moot. It would hurt the team to cut him in 2021.
No. Too costly to keep him on the roster for next year.

BermyStar

Reaction score
2021.... yes. I'd rather one less hole to fill. Beyond '21 though.... I dunno

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all the evidence in the NFL now about having a very good running game with young RBs on rookie deals, drafted in middle rounds instead of overpaying....is there a FO in the entire NFL besides Dallas that would make the same deal for Zeke that Jerry did? The Rams couldn’t wait to get rid of Gurley after their mistake.

Tenn has Derrick Henry on a second deal but he’s producing. Min just signed Dalvin Cook to a 5 yr $63 million deal (but only $28 mil is guaranteed) which I think is a mistake. But Zeke’s 6 yr, $90 mil with $50 mil guaranteed (some say only 28.5 is guaranteed) has set the market, but teams seem to be backing away from that kind of RB market.

However you slice it or view it, it’s very clear that most NFL FOs don’t think paying big bucks for a RB is wise cap management.
All so true Bob. There are plenty of mid-round RB's that can give the Cowboys what #21 is this year.

The Rams found out about Gurley's knee That's when they wanted out ASAP.

ghst187

Reaction score
This is wrong. His 2022 salary of 12 million fully guarantees if he's on the roster after the 5th league day of 2021. He needs to be cut or traded before that travesty occurs.

Who wants to be paying Zeke 12 million dollars TWO years from now after another year of him not taking care of his body and enduring another season of pounding.

He needs off the roster for fiscal reasons and to show the team that being accountable matters.

Don't throw good money after bad.

But what’s the dead money if we cut him now?

Status
Not open for further replies.