CZ POLL Do you want Tyron Smith on the Cowboys in 2021?

Do you want Tyron Smith on the Cowboys in 2021?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Maybe with this year off he can get and stay healthy and give us another couple years.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The dude is a beast when healthy. Keep a good back up on the roster for him.

Verdict

Reaction score
Can't see getting a high pick this coming year, with Tyron coming back from neck surgery. Maybe 2022 if all goes well.

If a guy like Sewell is “there” and the Cowboys have him graded as an All Pro type of player, I can’t see them passing on him unless another player on the same tier is also available or they trade down.

Havic

Reaction score
Yes, he is a top 10 talent on good contract for us. He is starting to be more unreliable, time to start looking at LT in the draft.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If a guy like Sewell is “there” and the Cowboys have him graded as an All Pro type of player, I can’t see them passing on him unless another player on the same tier is also available or they trade down.

If Sewell is there for us, I bet we take him. Won't pass up on a franchise LT.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
If we could trade him and get out of the cap hit then moving on from him might be a consideration, but I don't see cutting him and living with the cap hit as an option.

According to overthecap, cutting or trading him pre June 1st, results in a net cap savings of $5M in 2021. Post June 1st results in a cap savings of $10M in 2021. Don't know if I am reading it right or not.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The crying of Tyron is one of the most annoying narratives of the entire 2000s

Tyron plays through pain in a 3 year stretch because he along with the team geninuely believe it's their window to win and all fans do it cry about him being the 3rd best LT in the NFC (fans: "uhhh he's falling apart").

What's funny is fans whine that he didn't get the surgery earlier but if he had gotten the surgery earlier and missed 1 or 1.5 seasons then those same fans would of screamed "why is he taking an elective surgery during our window to win ?" or "ohh back in my day players would just play through the pain, this generation is soft"

Now Tyron has surgery to fix the issue during the absolute perfect time to have surgery (a wash season) and fans once again are complaining that they don't want him. It's perfect because he either comes back healthier or he retires
Great post

Xavier187

Reaction score
Bring him back but find a couple stud OTs that are young.
Do not bring back Steele or Erving
Save that cash

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Drafting a starting LT is as difficult as replacing a franchise QB, arguably the 2nd most important position on a team.. seems like Tyron should be 42 yrs old yet he is only 30.
TS has been franchise friendly, not many retire as full time Cowboys, but this warrior will.
Man has game left, just end this move on from TS BS.

Daillest88

Reaction score

Tyron plays through pain in a 3 year stretch because he along with the team geninuely believe it's their window to win and all fans do it cry about him being the 3rd best LT in the NFC (fans: "uhhh he's falling apart").

What's funny is fans whine that he didn't get the surgery earlier but if he had gotten the surgery earlier and missed 1 or 1.5 seasons then those same fans would of screamed "why is he taking an elective surgery during our window to win ?" or "ohh back in my day players would just play through the pain, this generation is soft"

Now Tyron has surgery to fix the issue during the absolute perfect time to have surgery (a wash season) and fans once again are complaining that they don't want him. It's perfect because he either comes back healthier or he retires
Well said. He’s finally getting surgery , should have gotten it 3 years ago but when he did play he’s still a damn top 3 LT and we have him for a crazy cheap price. If this surgery is a success and I think it will be , he will be a force for us, LTs of his caliber are hard to find.. lol this should be a hell yes we want him back.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

In a league filled with self serving players and greedy agents,, Tyron Smith is one of the few real Gladiators left in this game.
Man represents the Star, has always represented this team, his contract.
RESPECT

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Tyron and Zack Martin are seemingly in much the same boat. Both of them are warriors who are aging and their bodies break down on them. I hate to see Tyron get to a point where he's forced to put his career behind him, although, it seems likely it's just a matter of time for that sad day to occur.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyron Smith was the best football player on this team for years. Period. He was headed for Canton based on his play for his first 4 years. Then the injuries hit.

From 2011-2015, he missed one game. He was dominant- again- the best football player we had. ButTyron Smith hasn’t played a full season since 2015. Since 2015, he’s never played more than 79% of the snap counts. He’s now missed 26 games in 5 years. That’s more than a season and a half lost to injury.

The first ability every NFL player must have after natural ability is availability. If you aren’t available to play, whatever natural talent you have is lost.

Bottom line for me: The Cowboys need to find a new starting LT. I wish with all my heart Ty Smith could return to his former glory. But making that assumption on a wishful hope is exactly the kind of thinking that has made this front office a laughingstock. We better be prepared for life after Tyron Smith because even if he can play next year, he will never be what he was.Icoukd actually see him retiring this offseason.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to overthecap, cutting or trading him pre June 1st, results in a net cap savings of $5M in 2021. Post June 1st results in a cap savings of $10M in 2021. Don't know if I am reading it right or not.
I usually look at Spotrac, so not sure how they differ. In any case, there might be something less of a cap hit cutting him at those times relative to keeping him, but there is still significant dead cap money that the team gets hit with if they cut him that soon, and they wouldn’t even get the benefit of having him. He’s overpaid, but if taking a cap hit anyway might as well get some use out of him, even if in a sharing situation with Pollard.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
too late for that

Status
Not open for further replies.