Does Aikman win a SB with any team from Parcells forward?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Really I think this whole premise is incorrect. You could drop in Montana on those teams doesn't guarantee a SB win. The real fact of the matter is getting further in the playoffs.
Aikman takes the 2007,2009,2014,2018,2021 teams further in the playoffs. Once a team gets to the championship game anything can happen.
There is something broken in the organization which has prevented them from making the Championship game since the 1995 season. Just ponder that thought and rethink a SB or bust mindset. These things happen in some sort of progression.
Go back to the McNabb led Eagles, they made 4 straight championship games, they went to one SB and lost but at least they were knocking on the door. Those teams were more coaching than talent.
I don't even think SB anymore, how can this team win 2 games in the playoffs. Evaluate the roster starting with Dak. To me the answer is very clear that Dak is average and I don't want to upset the Dak lovers.
This FO does not have the guts to be honest and that is the biggest problem.

So start a thread about getting further if you like.

So was Romo the problem prior to Dak?

Personally I think if anyone blames either romo or Dak for the teams problems then they not only dont understand football, but they dont understand QB play.

But there are definitely many of you. I call fans like you "QB challenged".

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Comp% doesn't indicate accuracy. Type of O has way too much to do w/ it. Aikman ran a downfield passing attack. Low % passes automatically mean a QB will have a lower comp % than one who dumps a ton of short stuff. Simple stuff, man.

Aikman's accuracy was a known thing. I would guess that you're quite young? I mean, everyone knew at the time how incredibly accurate he was.

Otto Graham was called "Automatic Otto" because of his extreme accuracy. 55.8 career comp%.

Gotta look at all the factors, man.

Well lets think about it for a minute. You play behind one of the best Olines of all time that gives you lots of time and you play with #1 RB off all time as far as yards. You were a run first football team and everyone knew they had to stop Emmitt.

So you drop back to pass on first down, play action..........plenty of time, everyone is fooled and Irvin beats one on one coverage for an easy slant. Not tough stuff.

dckid

Reaction score
So start a thread about getting further if you like.

So was Romo the problem prior to Dak?

Personally I think if anyone blames either romo or Dak for the teams problems then they not only dont understand football, but they dont understand QB play.

But there are definitely many of you. I call fans like you "QB challenged".

So the 2007,09,14,16,18,21 seasons.. That is 6 out of 27 years, this team underperformed in the playoffs. They should have gone further, I am not saying they should have won the SB. I believe the 07 team was good enough to reach the SB. 2014 was also good enough to play Seattle in the championship game. The last three Dak years they should have at least made one championship game.
This is the point you are missing, you make a binary statement. Would Aikman have taken the playoff teams to a SB win. My answer is yes he would have and he would have taken the teams much further every year. Every playoff team since 2006 has underperformed. Which is a fact.

Dak and Romo are both average QB's. Sorry Romo and Dak fanboys. The truth hurts but you have to accept it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Speaking of Aikman and just how much the game has changed since his time.

Mahomes (who is already an all-time great, of course) only needs 15 TD passes to pass Aikman on the all-time list.
The good news is you won't have to take your poster down.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So the 2007,09,14,16,18,21 seasons.. That is 6 out of 27 years, this team underperformed in the playoffs. They should have gone further, I am not saying they should have won the SB. I believe the 07 team was good enough to reach the SB. 2014 was also good enough to play Seattle in the championship game. The last three Dak years they should have at least made one championship game.
This is the point you are missing, you make a binary statement. Would Aikman have taken the playoff teams to a SB win. My answer is yes he would have and he would have taken the teams much further every year. Every playoff team since 2006 has underperformed. Which is a fact.

Dak and Romo are both average QB's. Sorry Romo and Dak fanboys. The truth hurts but you have to accept it.

Man there are alot of "Average" players in the HOF by this standard.We have a HOF RG on the team right now that owns the same record...is he average?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yah, lets just move on. We are so far apart its not even worth talking about.

Nothing you say is even remotely accurate. Cowboys haven't had a legitimate SB contender since the 90's. Aikman doesn't have a chance at a SB with these late teams and coaches. That was one point that at least 98% of the entire board agreed on, which never happens.

Romo and Dak were both top 10, 2nd tier QB's. Neither has reached elite level status.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Man there are alot of "Average" players in the HOF by this standard.We have a HOF RG on the team right now that owns the same record...is he average?

I wouldn't bother. Anyone that is soo far whacked out on their views isnt even worth talking to.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Aikman's Super Bowl teams would crush any 21st Century Cowboys team. He would have zero SBs with any recent team.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well lets think about it for a minute. You play behind one of the best Olines of all time that gives you lots of time and you play with #1 RB off all time as far as yards. You were a run first football team and everyone knew they had to stop Emmitt.

So you drop back to pass on first down, play action..........plenty of time, everyone is fooled and Irvin beats one on one coverage for an easy slant. Not tough stuff.
Type of O you play matters a ton. Even less tough!!!!!

Praxit

Reaction score
....I really doubt it. Beating those SF teams took mammoth ability. Aikman was very fortunate being sanctified to those groups.

dckid

Reaction score
Yah, lets just move on. We are so far apart its not even worth talking about.

Nothing you say is even remotely accurate. Cowboys haven't had a legitimate SB contender since the 90's. Aikman doesn't have a chance at a SB with these late teams and coaches. That was one point that at least 98% of the entire board agreed on, which never happens.

Romo and Dak were both top 10, 2nd tier QB's. Neither has reached elite level status.

You believe Aikman would not have won on any team after the 90's.
I took the bigger picture approach on how bad this organization is post Jimmy. We basically had 6 years with legitimate playoff teams and every year we have under performed.
Aikman takes each of the teams further, you can't guarantee a SB.

Winning a SB is hard which is not how I am judging this organization. The biggest problem is not even getting to a championship game and the fact they haven't been to one since the 1995 season.

You are right about Romo and Dak being average at best.. we finally agree

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You believe Aikman would not have won on any team after the 90's.
I took the bigger picture approach on how bad this organization is post Jimmy. We basically had 6 years with legitimate playoff teams and every year we have under performed.
Aikman takes each of the teams further, you can't guarantee a SB.

Winning a SB is hard which is not how I am judging this organization. The biggest problem is not even getting to a championship game and the fact they haven't been to one since the 1995 season.

You are right about Romo and Dak being average at best.. we finally agree

I guess you dont even know what top 10, 2nd tier means. Its means 6-10. Nothing average about either. Not that I would care. If they were average QB's I would say they are. They aren't even average at worst.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
With a young and healthy Aikman, absolutely he would have won at least 2 Superbowls. His drive to succeed was surpassed by no other.

Best QB I have EVER seen at handing the ball off. Almost uncanny how he laid it into Emmitts arms.

stuckindc

Reaction score
With a young and healthy Aikman, absolutely he would have won at least 2 Superbowls. His drive to succeed was surpassed by no other.
The problem wouldn’t necessarily be the offense with Aikman. It was the defense. The 90’s teams had top defenses. The Romo and Dak teams had average to below average defense. The old adage..Defense wins Championships…07 & 11 Giants are a perfect example. They shut down one of the greatest offenses of all time. Twice!!! All done with Defense. Give Romo or Dak a top 5 Defense and see what would have happened.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The problem wouldn’t necessarily be the offense with Aikman. It was the defense. The 90’s teams had top defenses. The Romo and Dak teams had average to below average defense. The old adage..Defense wins Championships…07 & 11 Giants are a perfect example. They shut down one of the greatest offenses of all time. Twice!!! All done with Defense. Give Romo or Dak a top 5 Defense and see what would have happened.

There is very little chance that Aikman can run the offense with any kind of efficiency at any point when the Oline was bad to average. Which was most of Romo's career. At the tail end of Romo's career and the beginning of Dak's the Oilne was really good. That is the ONLY time Aikman may have done better than what the team did.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yep, but then we still have the coaching issue. Garrett and Wade. MM is certainly better then those two.

stuckindc

Reaction score
There is very little chance that Aikman can run the offense with any kind of efficiency at any point when the Oline was bad to average. Which was most of Romo's career. At the tail end of Romo's career and the beginning of Dak's the Oilne was really good. That is the ONLY time Aikman may have done better than what the team did.
Agree. With exception of the 2014 season. That was the beginning of a tremendous Oline. Yes Aikman would have gotten killed with some of the earlier olines. Was it Costa that I remember being terrible