Does Aikman win a SB with any team from Parcells forward?

Motorola

Reaction score
Speaking of Aikman and just how much the game has changed since his time.

Mahomes (who is already an all-time great, of course) only needs 15 TD passes to pass Aikman on the all-time list.
Factor total TD passes - regular season + playoffs-
Aikman - 188 in 181 games
Mahomes - 179 in 74 games

Another revealing statistic to show how much the game has changed---- 30 years ago:
1992 - top NFL passers:
Dan Marino__4,116 yds, 24 TD, 16 INT
Steve Young_3,465 yds, 25 TD, 7 INT
Jim Kelly____3,457 yds, 23 TD, 19 INT
Troy Aikman_3,445 yds, 23 TD, 14 INT
Their yardage and touchdown totals were the four best among NFL QBs for that season.

AND - guess what four teams played for the conference championships that postseason?

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

Another revealing statistic to show how much the game has changed---- 30 years ago:
1992 - top NFL passers:
Their yardage and touchdown totals were the four best among NFL QBs for that season.

AND - guess what four teams played for the conference championships that postseason?
Those TD to INT ratios lol

If you did that today you'd be in the market for a new QB next season.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Best QB I have EVER seen at handing the ball off. Almost uncanny how he laid it into Emmitts arms.
You must be a stats junkie. You don't understand decision making, fantastic accuracy, leadership, top competitor, managing the game, and an incredible obsession with winning the big games - winning it all.

Motorola

Reaction score
Those TD to INT ratios lol

If you did that today you'd be in the market for a new QB next season.
I remember the Bills' "K-Gun" offense - Kelly would just force 3-4 throws into tight coverage every game! (Plus he had a few sail on him because he was on the run when he cut it loose.)
In one of their best seasons each -- three HOF QBs threw double-digit interceptons - 9, 8, and 4 less than their touchdown passes.
They were able to do that because all four teams had very good to great defenses to stop a score \ get the ball back.

Last edited:

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score

1992 - top NFL passers:

You have to keep in mind that back in those days the NFL was real football. All the rule changes over the years have favored the offense, resulting in high scoring games. Defenses look too hard at a QB, out comes a flag.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I remember the Bills' "K-Gun" offense - Kelly would just force 3-4 throws into tight coverage every game! (Plus he had a few sail on him because he was on the run when he cut it loose.)
In one of their best seasons each -- three HOF QBs threw double-digit interceptons - 9, 8, and 4 less than their touchdown passes.
They were able to do that because all four teams had very good to great defenses.
Crazy how much the game has changed.

Personally, I think for the worse.

plymkr

Reaction score
Lets assume its not even a conversation with the teams from after the 90's up to Parcells. But do any of you feel that Aikman would have won a SB with the teams of Parcells, Wade, Garrett, MM?

:popcorn:
No. Aikman needed HOFers like Emmitt, Irvin, Haley, Allen etc to overcome Jerry's dysfunctional organization. When Jimmy left the dysfunction entered and it took a team that was more talented than other teams in almost every position to win the Super Bowl. And we barely won that Super Bowl thanks to Neil O'Donnell not being able to read defenses.

That 95 team barely squeaked by with that Super Bowl win. Since then we have had teams that should've competed and fell short due to lack of focus on football. And that lack of focus on football starts with Jerry and Jerry continues to enable that behavior to this day.

Motorola

Reaction score
You have to keep in mind that back in those days the NFL was real football. All the rule changes over the years have favored the offense, resulting in high scoring games. Defenses look too hard at a QB, out comes a flag.
1992 was one of the best seasons in the history of the league IMO.
The passing game was taking control -- but three of the four teams that made it to the conference championship game were top-5 in rushing yardage and top-6 in rushing TDs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You must be a stats junkie. You don't understand decision making, fantastic accuracy, leadership, top competitor, managing the game, and an incredible obsession with winning the big games - winning it all.

Sure I do. Its just Aikman didnt have to win many games. He just had to manage them.

dckid

Reaction score
I guess you dont even know what top 10, 2nd tier means. Its means 6-10. Nothing average about either. Not that I would care. If they were average QB's I would say they are. They aren't even average at worst.
Lol. They are the definition of average. Even at both of their peaks they are never considered elite. But the past 27 years of this franchise show what happens when you pay franchise money to good average players. The end result is 8-8