Does Aikman win a SB with any team from Parcells forward?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Speaking of Aikman and just how much the game has changed since his time.

Mahomes (who is already an all-time great, of course) only needs 15 TD passes to pass Aikman on the all-time list.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Speaking of Aikman and just how much the game has changed since his time.

Mahomes (who is already an all-time great, of course) only needs 15 TD passes to pass Aikman on the all-time list.
No doubt
Different world.
Also, Aikman’s offense was run first in a big way.

Aikman was every bit as talented a passer as Mohomes.
Probably more accurate

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
No doubt
Different world.

Aikman was every bit as talented a passer as Mohomes.
Probably more accurate
Yeah, I can't agree with ya on that last part, especially the accuracy thing.

Mahomes has never had a season with a completion percentage lower than Aikmans career average. Aikman also had a few season with more INTs than TDs. 9 of Aikmans 12 seasons he had double digit INTs.

All of that with Aikman throwing the ball much less.

I love Aikman, but Mahomes is just that good, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's not 10 QBs that's ever played football with the talent Mahomes has. When all is said and done Mahomes will be one of those inner circle type of HOFer that are a level above regular HOFers like Aikman.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Lets assume its not even a conversation with the teams from after the 90's up to Parcells. But do any of you feel that Aikman would have won a SB with the teams of Parcells, Wade, Garrett, MM?

:popcorn:
If Parcells stayed the Head Coach and was not ran out of Dallas, Troy wins with the 2006, 2007, and 2009, If we also are living on fantasy island Troy would win with Garrett's 2014, and 2016 teams.

The Dallas Cowboys had an NFL record number of Pro Bowl players (13) on that 2007 team.

However, Jerry Dumbo GM Jones would have found a way to mess it up. Don't believe the hype.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Mahomes has never had a season with a completion percentage lower than Aikmans career average. Aikman also had a few season with more INTs than TDs. 9 of Aikmans 12 seasons he had double digit INTs.

I love Aikman, but Mahomes is just that good, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's not 10 QBs that's ever played football with the talent Mahomes has. When all is said and done Mahomes will be one of those inner circle type of HOFer that are a level above regular HOFers like Aikman.
Thats fine.
Fwiw, I really dont think completion percentage, especially within different offenses and eras, reflects accuracy at all. Often 5 options in today's offenses with multiple outlets

Aikman would go not just one practice, but several in a row, with ball never hitting the ground.

You might be right about Mahomes. Maybe not a good example from me

But in general, way, WAY easier to complete passes nowdays

Personally, I think the NFLs best pure passer might be Matthew Stafford, if its not Mahomes or Rodgers

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Thats fine.
Fwiw, I really dont think completion percentage, especially within different offenses and eras, reflects accuracy at all. Often 5 options in today's offenses with multiple outlets

Aikman would go not just one practice, but several in a row, with ball never hitting the ground.

You might be right about Mahomes. Maybe not a good example from me

But in general, way, WAY easier to complete passes nowdays

Personally, I think the NFLs best pure passer might be Matthew Stafford, if its not Mahomes or Rodgers
Yeah, it's pretty dumb to compare eras. Who knows what Aikman could've done in todays game while Mahomes might not have been the same if you transported him back.

You have guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick having better seasons than guys like AIkman and Staubach if you look at pure stats.

Stafford, Rodgers, and Mahomes. Yeah, you can't go wrong with either of those guys.

kskboys

Reaction score

Duuuuuuude......THE GAME HAS CHANGED.
n

Comparing accuracy of QB's using strictly comp % isn't even accurate using QB's from the same era. It's horribly flawed trying to compare QB's from different eras.

Aikman is known as one of the most accurate QB's of all time. It's not even debateable.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Duuuuuuude......THE GAME HAS CHANGED.
n

Comparing accuracy of QB's using strictly comp % isn't even accurate using QB's from the same era. It's horribly flawed trying to compare QB's from different eras.

Aikman is known as one of the most accurate QB's of all time. It's not even debateable.
I think it's debateable.

The game has changed, like you said, so why would you still consider Aikman one of the most accurate QBs ever? The evidence doesn't say that, especially when compared to todays guys.

Why not say he's one of the most accurate for his era then? Because when you throw the word "ever" in there we can't ignore what guys are doing today.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
No doubt
Different world.

Aikman was every bit as talented a passer as Mahomes.
Probably more accurate

WHAT!!!!!!!!!
Aikman 165 TDS, 141 INTS Mahomes 151TDS, 31 INTS

DFWJC

Reaction score
WHAT!!!!!!!!!
Aikman 165 TDS, 141 INTS Mahomes 151TDS, 31 INTS
Not saying Aikman was better.
Just saying entirely different eras and different schemes.
I'm sure prime Aikman puts up prosperous passing numbers in Andy Reed's KC offense the past few years. Due to the scheme and relaxed rules. WAY easier now

and btw, Aikman ran a 4.7 forty (a bit faster than Mahomes) so he was not a stiff in his prime mobility-wise either.
Norv Turner's passing offense (not the run side, just the pass) was just high-risk high reward.

I say all this and not even even a huge Aikamn fan. I think a lot of QBs would have 3 SBs on those teams.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
i think 2003 would be the best shot, changing the QB on that team to Troy would be a huge step up and the rest of the team was pretty good. That defense may have been the best we have had since the SB teams.

dckid

Reaction score
Lets assume its not even a conversation with the teams from after the 90's up to Parcells. But do any of you feel that Aikman would have won a SB with the teams of Parcells, Wade, Garrett, MM?

:popcorn:
Aikman takes them farther every single year.
2007- Yes
2009- Yes
2014- Yes
2016- yes, even though I dont think they were that talented
2018- That defense gave up over 300 yards rushing to the Rams so no.
2021- Probably yes.

As far as SB goes, probably in 2014 & 2009.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Aikman takes them farther every single year.
2007- Yes
2009- Yes
2014- Yes
2016- yes, even though I dont think they were that talented
2018- That defense gave up over 300 yards rushing to the Rams so no.
2021- Probably yes.

As far as SB goes, probably in 2014 & 2009.

This is about winning the SB. So Ill take that as a no.

links18

Reaction score
Some people are so soured on this organization that they won't concede that there were a few really good teams over these years that nevertheless lacked something to be put them over the top. Others think the teams of the Jimmy era were just so good that even the QB didn't matter much. Finally, there are the Aikman haters--probably the same people who think he is an Eagles fan.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
yes if he has Norvs offense

Probably the most important thing and no one has mentioned it yet. Aikman would have been fine in Garrett's power run predictable offense. Same thing he ran.

Aikman also would have called out Coop, Dez, or any of the slackers who didn't practice as hard as Irvin and couldn't be in the right spot every time on their route because unlike Dak, Aikman didn't miss.

Aikman also would have had a great time once he realized how much the rules favored his protection and his receivers now. And on the rare occasion they did get to him, his new helmet tech would have kept him concussion free. No telling how many of those he had.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think it's debateable.

The game has changed, like you said, so why would you still consider Aikman one of the most accurate QBs ever? The evidence doesn't say that, especially when compared to todays guys.

Why not say he's one of the most accurate for his era then? Because when you throw the word "ever" in there we can't ignore what guys are doing today.
Comp% doesn't indicate accuracy. Type of O has way too much to do w/ it. Aikman ran a downfield passing attack. Low % passes automatically mean a QB will have a lower comp % than one who dumps a ton of short stuff. Simple stuff, man.

Aikman's accuracy was a known thing. I would guess that you're quite young? I mean, everyone knew at the time how incredibly accurate he was.

Otto Graham was called "Automatic Otto" because of his extreme accuracy. 55.8 career comp%.

Gotta look at all the factors, man.

dckid

Reaction score
This is about winning the SB. So Ill take that as a no.
Really I think this whole premise is incorrect. You could drop in Montana on those teams doesn't guarantee a SB win. The real fact of the matter is getting further in the playoffs.
Aikman takes the 2007,2009,2014,2018,2021 teams further in the playoffs. Once a team gets to the championship game anything can happen.
There is something broken in the organization which has prevented them from making the Championship game since the 1995 season. Just ponder that thought and rethink a SB or bust mindset. These things happen in some sort of progression.
Go back to the McNabb led Eagles, they made 4 straight championship games, they went to one SB and lost but at least they were knocking on the door. Those teams were more coaching than talent.
I don't even think SB anymore, how can this team win 2 games in the playoffs. Evaluate the roster starting with Dak. To me the answer is very clear that Dak is average and I don't want to upset the Dak lovers.
This FO does not have the guts to be honest and that is the biggest problem.