Does anyone know how fast Zeke is at the moment?

JustChip

Reaction score
I wonder what his speed is vs. Henry’s? I suspect they’re in a similar plane.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I won't be a bit surprised if Malik Davis turns out to be the best RB that we have on the Cowboys' roster! IMHO, he's very underrated.:thumbup:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear from someone who knows the game better than I: to what extent are Zeke's talents at pick-up blocking likely transferable to lead blocking?
Lead blocking is as much about want to as anything else. A lead blocker has to want to slam his body into another larger human being at high speeds. Zeke has no problem doing that so IMHO he would be fine at it. But my surmise is that he will be a solid #1 back.. 900-1100 depending on how many totes he gets with a side of 12 TDs.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Okay...agreed. A better question than zekes top end speed would be...wth is jerry thinking? Reminds me of the year we had to go get amari.
Not really an apples to apples comparison since Zeke has way more skins on the wall than anybody we tapped to replace Dez that year. I think people are missing the extent to which the knee injury hampered him in 2021 and 2022. I mean he played what? 20 games in a knee brace those two years. I don't recall seeing the brace in 2023 so Zeke was more effective on the rare occasion there was any blocking last year. My guess is he will get more opportunities to show he's back closer to full health in Dallas than he ever got behind that joke of an o-line in New England.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He looked plenty fast to me with the Pats especially when being a receiver.
Yeah their line just did nothing for any of the backs in the run blocking department. But when they got Zeke the ball in space as a receiver he was pretty nifty. The hurdle TD in that Thursday night game was the most obvious example of that as was the 70 yard dash with that swing pass even though it got called back.

Bagman

Reaction score
Can't imagine Zeke being quicker than he was 2 years ago when this organization dumped him. He's not here because he's an upgrade. He's here because he's a cheap option. It's pathetic that this FO won't spend to get better players, they're comfortable with lesser players who take less money. With all that being said, I do like Zeke, seems like a fun dude.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Can't imagine Zeke being quicker than he was 2 years ago when this organization dumped him. He's not here because he's an upgrade. He's here because he's a cheap option. It's pathetic that this FO won't spend to get better players, they're comfortable with lesser players who take less money. With all that being said, I do like Zeke, seems like a fun dude.

I can.. he played the bulk of his last two seasons in Dallas in a knee brace. That sort of thing robs one of quickness. Both the injury and the brace itself. I think people are going to be surprised at how much better he looks without the brace AND the injury.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Henry's lomgest run vs Zekes
The question you answered wasnt about longest runs, nor is that this thread is about.

The question:

Your answer:
Henry smokes Zeke

I get you want to bash Zeke, but come on man...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not really an apples to apples comparison since Zeke has way more skins on the wall than anybody we tapped to replace Dez that year. I think people are missing the extent to which the knee injury hampered him in 2021 and 2022. I mean he played what? 20 games in a knee brace those two years. I don't recall seeing the brace in 2023 so Zeke was more effective on the rare occasion there was any blocking last year. My guess is he will get more opportunities to show he's back closer to full health in Dallas than he ever got behind that joke of an o-line in New England.
I really want this to be true. My concern is the Cowboys don't have any faith in this being reality though. Last year they could have kept him on the roster for a $6M cap hit to pair with Pollard, but instead they decided to cut him for a $5.8M cap hit, plus another $6M this year. Now I am open to the possibility that the Jones clan was too worried about the cash value of the contract instead of the cap value, but that's another topic in itself and probably a bigger issue than Zeke rebounding or not..

Ultimately though his 2022 numbers to 2023 numbers are pretty similar....

*231 Carries
*3.8 YPA
*2.74 yards after contact
*17 runs over 10 yards
*30 broken tackles

*184 carries
*3.5 YPA
*2.54 Yards after contact
*8 runs over 10 yards
*24 broken tackles

Some of that may be the Oline holding Zeke back, but even adjusted for Oline play his YPA is still probably towards the bottom of the league. The area he did look a lot better at was as a receiver. Not sure if that's because he regained some movement ability or if NE simply used him more often than 1-2 check down throws a game. He did get about 3x as many targets with NE than he got from Dallas in 2022, and that was with about 70 fewer snaps too.

jwitten82

Reaction score
The question you answered wasnt about longest runs, nor is that this thread is about.

The question:

Your answer:
Henry smokes Zeke

I get you want to bash Zeke, but come on man...
Maybe his speed is helping him break these long runs

Chasing6

Reaction score
I really want this to be true. My concern is the Cowboys don't have any faith in this being reality though. Last year they could have kept him on the roster for a $6M cap hit to pair with Pollard, but instead they decided to cut him for a $5.8M cap hit, plus another $6M this year. Now I am open to the possibility that the Jones clan was too worried about the cash value of the contract instead of the cap value, but that's another topic in itself and probably a bigger issue than Zeke rebounding or not..

Ultimately though his 2022 numbers to 2023 numbers are pretty similar....

*231 Carries
*3.8 YPA
*2.74 yards after contact
*17 runs over 10 yards
*30 broken tackles

*184 carries
*3.5 YPA
*2.54 Yards after contact
*8 runs over 10 yards
*24 broken tackles

Some of that may be the Oline holding Zeke back, but even adjusted for Oline play his YPA is still probably towards the bottom of the league. The area he did look a lot better at was as a receiver. Not sure if that's because he regained some movement ability or if NE simply used him more often than 1-2 check down throws a game. He did get about 3x as many targets with NE than he got from Dallas in 2022, and that was with about 70 fewer snaps too.
So first contact at 1 yard? Sounds like a great OLine play.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Yeah their line just did nothing for any of the backs in the run blocking department. But when they got Zeke the ball in space as a receiver he was pretty nifty. The hurdle TD in that Thursday night game was the most obvious example of that as was the 70 yard dash with that swing pass even though it got called back.
Lol Stevenson ypc was 4.0 behind that sane oline, also had a long rush of 64 yards. The fact that yall cant accept Zeke is done is hilarious. He averaged 3.5 and 3.8 ypc the last teo seasons, it's not oline

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Maybe his speed is helping him break these long runs
So you rebuttle by changing the topic? Moving goalpost everytime you're proven wrong, doesnt mean your right. Nobody is gonna play your game, just so you can change your argument again.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Lol Stevenson ypc was 4.0 behind that sane oline, also had a long rush of 64 yards. The fact that yall cant accept Zeke is done is hilarious. He averaged 3.5 and 3.8 ypc the last teo seasons, it's not oline
What's your point? Stevenson was the beneficiary of the one time the line blocked everybody and went 64 yards untouched up the middle. 80% of the backs in the league house that play including Zeke. Zeke's average would have been a lot better had he not been the designated short yardage guy and had he not had to have his 5 starts coincide with the Bailey Zappe experiment. Zeke will be fine.. And I will laugh at you haters every time he shines..