Does anyone on here actually expect anything out of Aldon Smith?

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It's just enough to rope you in and place false hope on the fact 6-8 sacks would be an success story. I hope the young man well.

SSoup

Reaction score
I expect basically nothing.

Some of the quotes and buzz we've heard about how he's a monster in the shape he's in now would be interesting if most of that fluff wasn't coming from Glazer in a way that makes him sound like he has a personal stake in selling this narrative because of his ties to the program he was working with.

Randy Gregory honestly feels like a more solid bet compared to him at this point, that's how flimsy a longshot he is in my mind. Which is saying something. And even then, that's still fine as long as the team sees him as nothing but a lottery ticket also. As long as you don't spend money you can't afford on lottery tickets (so far we haven't) and as long as you treat the lottery more as a longshot pipe-dream instead of starting to seriously count on it as an investment you *need* to pay off, there's nothing wrong with playing the lottery like this.

Now, if the team turns their nose up at good free agent options and then passes on good pass-rushers in the draft while citing the belief that Aldon has already filled those needs? Then I'll be worried.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
the hilarious part of this are the people who think this stops the Cowboys from doing anything else they want to. that the team's hopes and dreams rest with Aldon Smith.

Aldon Smith is a lottery ticket. Very low cost, low probability we hit a jackpot, highest probability we just eat the cost of the ticket.

I think it's a great bet. Jerry the oil wild catter understands risk/reward on long shots better than most fans and owners. Good Jerry.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Desperate? Desperate? Really?

Both Lawrence and Crawford have proven they can be starters in the NFL. They aren't the top tandem the in the NFL, but with a legitimate inside DT tandem for the first time in years with McCoy and Poe, Lawrence and Crawford are capable of putting up 10-20 sacks between them. After that, you have a group of young, recently drafted back-ups in Armstrong, Jackson and Jelks. And you have two formerly very highly rated guys that COULD BE big payoffs, but if they are not, you are not totally lost with the other 5 guys. And the draft is still to come.

not sure if my response wasn't clear. in regards to RDE, we are in desparate situation. that's one of the most Critical position on the DL, since its the QBs blind side DE, as well as the weak side on the offense (as offenses tend to be right handed per se)….that's why last year we traded for Quinn (although its a 6th, but a high price for a one year rental).

I am high on Lawrence, but not as high on Poe and McCoy. they are way passed their prime. they weren't that good in Carolina last year (although I do understand there are a lot of factors). Poe and McCoy maybe names from the past fans hear about, as opposed to what they really are today. I think Crawford is serviceable, although there are many who want to cut him. he is a hybrid tweener DE/DT not great at either.

I think at this point we are desparate at RDE no matter how you put it

Beaker42

Reaction score
I Don't expect much, highly doubtful he makes the team, a lot to ask of someone out of football for five years, 31 years old with his off field issues..
I’ll guarantee he makes the team. He’s more committed to football than anyone else on our roster. Guys in his spot JUST WANT IT MORE.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Expect? No.
Hope for? Of course.
Is it possible he can contribute? I think so, but time will tell.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score

Absolutely nothing. Unless headaches count.

lolz. first sign of trouble coupled with no production and he's gone.

i'm not sure what part of "zero cost" you guys don't understand. it's really not complicated. i promise.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Im expecting a lot of soft tissue injuries....after all......its been 4 years

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I dont expect anything from him or Gregory but I dont blame them for taking chances on them either.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I keep seeing articles how he has not played since 2015. Ok,, that might be true but he has not been productive since 2012 or 2013. That is 7 or 8 years ago. Most players do not even have a 7 or 8 year career. Thinking this guy is going to help out is insane. This isn't anything more than wishful thinking.

On-top of all this, I keep reading about him turning his life around. I'm lost. His last arrest was less than a year ago. How anyone with his track record, you could consider a turned around life in less than a year is just laughable. Show me 2,3 or 4 years of being a straight then we can talk about his life being turned around. My guess he is still on probation. The state hasn't probably cleared him yet.

With all this said I do not have any issues with Dallas signing him and seeing if there is anything there.

I'm just talking about all the hype I see from people posting stuff on here that he is going to be a productive player. I have more faith in Gregory and I do not have a lot of faith in him also.
Hmm..

I see this.

If he can respond to his opportunity, then give it a try.

His time off is both blessing and curse. He has not had the wear and tear from not playing. That's win.

Not playing sets him back about how far he has to go to be successful.

If he is just able to rotate snaps or only come in on passing downs..great.

If he can be more..yeah man.

If he can't then we can say thanx and bye.

Not alot of risk.

My worry is injury. Hammies, knees, shoulder, and backs are the injuries you need to guard against coming back and not being in playing shape.

It is the same with Gregory. We won't know until we try. Greg Hardy was another experiment that failed but his issues were mental, not physical.

So roll the dice and plan as if they are not there until we know.

DanA

Reaction score
I actually think he'll do alright. I'm not expecting a pro-bowl but his still got the same traits (minus a bit of athleticism) and knows how to play.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
All-Pro season EASILY. Did you see him running on that treadmill? There is no better indicator of a great pass rusher than that! :muttley:

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I kind of see him potentially as a nice rotational piece. If he gets reinstated I could see him starting slow then becoming a decent contributor. We need to replace Quinn's production and between Gregory, Smith, and Armstrong I think they can do it. Gregory produced 5 sacks in his last 8 regular season games and seemed to start to hit his stride. For this group I think 6 sacks for Gregory, 4 for Smith, and 3 for Armstrong are resonable expectations, but think there's more upside there.

Skillit

Reaction score
This is the version of Jerruh’s Cowboys.

Smith and Gregory will provide nothing but wasted time and distractions.....and we keep doing this stuff.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Assuming he makes it thru training camp and preseason, which is a major unknown at this point, I believe he CAN be an adequate backup DE. But your question is better suited for September 1, not pre NFL draft.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I anticpate 3 broken resistance band machines, a worn out treadmill a 3 KO's to a visiting Glazer who will train with him in October.

CoachD

Reaction score

Yup to be a serviceable camp body!