Does anyone seriously think Jerry is a Football Guy

kskboys

Reaction score
Well ksk, given that the term “football guy” is a subjective term with no real clear definition. I would say there’s actually zero data that proves he isn’t. Just data that makes you have a different opinion about what constitutes a football guy.

but thanks for the insult anyway.

I would also argue and did argue in my post. That being football guy does not make somebody a good GM.
The widely accepted definition of a "football guy" is a man who is into the game and has made a lifetime of being part of the game. He observes player tapes and understands the nuances and all the little things that go into it. Jerry absolutely does not. He is the polar opposite of a football guy.

I apologize for the insult. Sometimes I let things on this board get to me, my fault.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The widely accepted definition of a "football guy" is a man who is into the game and has made a lifetime of being part of the game. He observes player tapes and understands the nuances and all the little things that go into it. Jerry absolutely does not. He is the polar opposite of a football guy.

I apologize for the insult. Sometimes I let things on this board get to me, my fault.
It’s all good you’re a good guy I know that buddy.

We will have to disagree on Jerry jones level of football guyness.

We can probably both agree that football guy or not I definitely don’t want him as GM of the team anymore. That’s for damn sure.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s all good you’re a good guy I know that buddy.

We will have to disagree on Jerry jones level of football guyness.

We can probably both agree that football guy or not I definitely don’t want him as GM of the team anymore. That’s for damn sure.
I do chafe at calling him a football guy, because he makes so many moves that says he is not.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No but he employs football guys. Jerry's issue is he listens to too many differing opinions with none of his own..

RonWashington

Reaction score

Exactly my point . A “ football guy “ runs the personnel side of the club and you’re given maybe 3-4 yrs and if you’re not advancing but stalled then the owner changes out the “ football guy “ .

I’m not interested in the least of Arkansas 1964 and Frank Broyles . Has zero effect on running a team in NFCE ,

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jerry is a football guy.
He played on a top 10 collegiate team and has been associated with the game much of his life.

BUT he is not a personnel guy nor is he a Coach.
He's essentially Roger Staubach level. He's a businessman that loves football. Turned his passion into profit.
It is unfortunate he can't shut up.
Jerry doesn't love football or the Dallas Cowboys. If he did he would get the hell out of the way.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The average fan on this site thinks they are a football guy, but Jerry isn't. Which tells you about how unserious people are.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's sufficiently looking as though we'll be obliged to tolerate Jerry being a "business guy," rather than a "football guy." ;)
Well over two decades do seem to offer concrete evidence of that having been proven. How much longer is needed? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The average fan on this site thinks they are a football guy, but Jerry isn't. Which tells you about how unserious people are.
Who claimed they are a football guy on this forum? Back up your BS with receipts.

Does it hurt your feelings that other people actually want results? Are we big meanies for pointing out that it has been 28 years of failure?

Jerry isn't a football guy at all. You have to be a logical contrarian to claim he is a football guy.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s actually simple. Jerry qualified for being this team’s President/GM/Jocks and socks sorter by buying the team. That’s it. His money qualified him. His son “earned” his position as VP Player Personnel solely because he is Jerry’s son. Yes, both Jones men played college football. THAT doesn’t automatically qualify them as NFL executives. Their money qualified them.

Neither of those two ”football men” worked, studied, and learned about leading an NFL front office before buying the team. Jerry made an outstanding hire at the beginning of ownership in Jimmy Johnson and because of that hire and the fact that Jerry was tied up with the business side of the team, Jimmy was able to do what no Cowboys HC has since: Be the leader of the team.

If calling Jerry a “Football man” means he played college football and loves football, he’s qualified. But there are literally millions of men across this country that meet that qualification. What made Jerry Jones qualified to be the President/GM of the Dallas Cowboys? Cold hard cash. Not a single NFL team in this league would hire JJ or SJ as GM.

kskboys

Reaction score
Who claimed they are a football guy on this forum? Back up your BS with receipts.

Does it hurt your feelings that other people actually want results? Are we big meanies for pointing out that it has been 28 years of failure?

Jerry isn't a football guy at all. You have to be a logical contrarian to claim he is a football guy.
I think the ones claiming he is are simply not understanding the term.

I know when I first joined the main site many many years ago, I got my chain yanked for pointing out a player had stiff hips. Many were not aware that stiff hips is commonly used in scouting reports.

Same thing here, many are simply not aware of what the term indicates in football lingo.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Here's the end of this debate - Every one of you trying to claim Jerry is a football guy would NEVER hire Jerry to GM your team if you acquired an NFL franchise. Not a single one of you. Not in a million years. Case closed.

rambo2

Reaction score
Here's the end of this debate - Every one of you trying to claim Jerry is a football guy would NEVER hire Jerry to GM your team if you acquired an NFL franchise. Not a single one of you. Not in a million years. Case closed.
He is too old to be a new hire.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are defeating your own point. It is a hypothetical. There are people who actually respect Jerry Jones as a general manager. They can say they would hire him as one. How can it be proven they would not? Create an alternate reality and gift them an NFL franchise to test it out?

Simply put, you would not hire Jones. I would only hire Jones as a marketing VP. Many people, thousands or more, would not hire Jones to walk their dog.

Yet, there are those who would hire him as a GM. Why? Because they see him as a football guy.