Does anyone wish we had any of these quarterbacks instead of Dak?

Qcard

Reaction score
Dak has played insanely well this season. I do think Jared Goff is also a really good quarterback. Wentz has turned out to be a journeyman backup.
2016 was the Quintessential Eye Test QB Draft, a throwback to the 60s, 70s and 80s coaching staffs. Past coaches primarily drafted players based on comfortability and organizations inability to really teach/progress ALL types of QBs!

Leadership was the most important factor in 2016 QB draft

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Uhhhhh, Goff has already been to a super bowl and we're trying to say Dak is better? In fact, he's now lead a second team to the playoffs. What if Detroit makes it to the super bowl, Goff's second appearance, will we still be trying to say Dak is better?

How about saving this conversation for a few weeks from now.
that alone is not enough. so does it mean Trent Dilfer is better than both because he won a superbowl? there is more to it than that.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, they're all good against bad teams. I'll say that much. The rest will be decided.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd rather have 2023/24 Goff than 2018 Goff. He's playing well now that he knows the Lions' system well, but I do think Dak has outperformed him this year statistically. That said, if we had Goff as our QB, I wouldn't be mad. He's good, and definitely a lot better than he was with the Rams.
Yeah this version of Goff is much better than the one who played for the Rams. No doubt.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
No, they didn't get to the SB in spite of him. Goff was one of the league's best QBs in 2018.

They traded him because he wasn't nearly as good in 2019 and 20.
Goff played his part on that team, but didn't McVay basically hold his hand the whole season?

If I remember right, they'd break the huddle quickly to give McVay enough time to read the coverage and instruct Goff over the comm on what to do next.

Rock423

Reaction score
Uhhhhh, Goff has already been to a super bowl and we're trying to say Dak is better? In fact, he's now lead a second team to the playoffs. What if Detroit makes it to the super bowl, Goff's second appearance, will we still be trying to say Dak is better?

How about saving this conversation for a few weeks from now.
Dak is better.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, they didn't get to the SB in spite of him. Goff was one of the league's best QBs in 2018.

They traded him because he wasn't nearly as good in 2019 and 20.
Oh I remember this very well. Goff's decline started December of that year.

Soon as December came:

12/2 - 207 Yards 51% passing completion 1 TD and 1 Interception.
12/9 - 180 Passing Yards 45% passing completion 0 TD's and 0 Interceptions
12/16 - 339 Passing yards 1 interception
12/23 - 216 Passing Yards 1 Touchdown
12/30 4 Touchdowns 199 passing yards and 57 percent passing completion.

Then here comes the playoffs:

vs Cowboys - 186 Passing Yards at 53% completion rate no touchdowns.
vs Saints 297 Yards 1 Touchdown and 1 interception 62% completion rate

Lost to New England 3-13 No Touchdowns 1 Interception passing at a 50 percent completion rate.

So again....explain to me how he was not CARRIED? HE's passing at 50 percent most of these games in a passing league at the time. Dreadful.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Goff played his part on that team, but didn't McVay basically hold his hand the whole season?

If I remember right, they'd break the huddle quickly to give McVay enough time to read the coverage and instruct Goff over the comm on what to do next.
He held his hand and he was terrible in it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd rather have 2023/24 Goff than 2018 Goff. He's playing well now that he knows the Lions' system well, but I do think Dak has outperformed him this year statistically. That said, if we had Goff as our QB, I wouldn't be mad. He's good, and definitely a lot better than he was with the Rams.
There's an easy way to break this tie the fact is Prescott is 4th rounder not a first overall pick Jared Goff went number one overall and if he's not better than Prescott then Prescott wins beside the fact that I bet Prescott's career stats are better and the fact that Prescott's never been part of a losing season when he's healthy he's more than top five in win percentage since 2016 among starting quarterbacks I mean he's going to the playoffs now 5 out of his seven healthy seasons...

You know it's our own fan base that we have to fight more than opponents fan bases on why Prescott's always been top ten but why he's played himself in the top five mini seasons and he gets no respect whatsoever.... Yes Jared Goff has changed the narrative a bit that dax not the only good quarterback to come out of that draft but I'm going to have to go with Prescott no not cause I'm a Homer because of what I listed above I mean I don't really feel like looking up both of their career stats but I'm almost sure that Prescott's better in every area especially when you put his touchdown interception ratio he's like top ten all time in the NFL not with the Dallas Cowboys but in the NFL...

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'd probably take Dak, but I think it's a mistake to just write off Goff at this point.

2023 season

Dak - 12-5, 69% comp, 4516 yards, 7.6 Y/A, 36TD, 9INT
Goff - 12-5, 67% comp, 4575 yards, 7.7 Y/A, 30 TD, 12 INT

Even with the advanced metrics it's pretty close. They are #2 and 3 in the league in air yards this year, expected completion % is Goff at 66.2 Dak at 64.8, almost identical time to throw (2.72 vs 2.73). The one metric that Dak really starts to separate himself from Goff is EPA.
This isn't just about this year this is about their careers and I'm bet that Prescott's numbers across the board are all probably better than goffs.. And like I said in my other post it's pretty easy to break this tie Jared Goff was supposed to be transcendent he was picked number one overall Prescott had no expectations as a fourth round pick that means Prescott wins the tiebreaker because he wasn't a disappointment he wasn't traded he literally has gotten better...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This isn't just about this year this is about their careers and I'm bet that Prescott's numbers across the board are all probably better than goffs.. And like I said in my other post it's pretty easy to break this tie Jared Goff was supposed to be transcendent he was picked number one overall Prescott had no expectations as a fourth round pick that means Prescott wins the tiebreaker because he wasn't a disappointment he wasn't traded he literally has gotten better...
Not really. For their careers....

Dak: 73-41, 67% comp, 29450 yards, 7.6 YPA, 202 TD, 74 INT
Goff: 66-50, 64.7 comp, 30429, 7.4 YPA, 185 TD, 82 INT

It's a little tougher to find cumulative advanced metrics, but it's all laid out by season if you want to do the grunt work. I think Dak has had the better career to this point, however it's close enough that I don't think you can say the debate is finished as it is with the Dak v Wentz arguments, especially since these guys are both just now hitting 30 and still have a half decade or more to play. Goff is still very much in play to go down in history as the best QB from that draft class.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson and Tua are the only ones that come to mind that I might take over Dak right now.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not really. For their careers....

Dak: 73-41, 67% comp, 29450 yards, 7.6 YPA, 202 TD, 74 INT
Goff: 66-50, 64.7 comp, 30429, 7.4 YPA, 185 TD, 82 INT

It's a little tougher to find cumulative advanced metrics, but it's all laid out by season if you want to do the grunt work. I think Dak has had the better career to this point, however it's close enough that I don't think you can say the debate is finished as it is with the Dak v Wentz arguments, especially since these guys are both just now hitting 30 and still have a half decade or more to play. Goff is still very much in play to go down in history as the best QB from that draft class.
Yeah really I already looked it up I don't need to do a side-by-side study touchdown interception ratio much better for Prescott his completion percentage is better his winning record is better he's never been part of a losing season ever Goff has had two eggs he's laid look at his rookie year compared to Prescott I mean Prescott was rookie of the year the man's been to the playoffs 5 out of the seven healthy years he's been upright he's had a better career than golf I don't care what he did with the Rams because he made a Super Bowl apparently Goff could make a Super Bowl with a super team but he can't help win it that was Matthew Stafford you put dak on that team and he would have won one as well same year Stafford same things I don't know about golf but I'm telling you right now I was right I said what I said and I'm not taking it back... Yes it's close but the tiebreakers go to the guy who had no losing seasons have been to the playoffs more and has a rookie of the year trophy and has beat him head to head a couple of times I think it's pretty close to even but I do remember I think the last two times yes the one in the playoffs they didn't win that eight point defensive let down was not on Prescott.. But he beat the Rams in the 2019 preseason blew them out in the 2019 regular season and then beat them last year and I believe didn't we just beat them again so yeah I think Prescott won the last three head-to-head matchups I mean what exactly do you think I meant when the tie goes to Prescott,,,

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Carson Wentz just beat the 49ers and Dak can’t beat them.

Isn’t that right @Risen Star

Game
Set
Match
LMAO! Y'all are wild! Carson just barely beat the 49ers with all their stars sitting and resting. A Dak lead team would've blown them out of their stadium under that scenario. The movie "Idiocracy" is coming true. :(

Since I got benched for doing the same thing to the biggest crybaby (Mountaineer) on this board. "
TheMightyVanHalen, We do not allow personal call-outs here, especailly doing so to members using the mention system!"

Hidden Rule #32. "Rules don't apply to everyone. ESPECIALLY if you HATE Dak" Right, Reality?
Now let's see which crybaby here runs and cries about this comment. Don't hide, man up here. Raise your hand if it's going to be you....