Does anyone wish we had any of these quarterbacks instead of Dak?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Just askin'. :)

Football is so week to week, yet fans go on this emotional roller coaster ride after each win or loss.

But, every QB goes through it, except for maybe Mahomes, who gets a pass no matter how bad he plays.

Dak is not exempt from the fire after a bad offensive showing, let alone in consecutive weeks.

And, personally, I think he's overachieving based on his arm talent. But he's a bonafide great leader.

And here's who was taken ahead of Dak:

1 Jared Goff Cal Rams
2 Carson Wentz North Dakota State Eagles
26 Paxton Lynch Memphis Broncos
51 Christian Hackenberg Penn State Jets
91 Jacoby Brissett North Carolina State Patriots
93 Cody Kessler USC Browns
100 Connor Cook Michigan State Raiders

Does anyone wish we had any of them instead? LOL
Some of our fans want Trey Lance.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Those so in love with the FO should remember how much Jerry wanted Lynch and Connor before 'settling' for Dak
This is the part people miss on when they say we need to get rid of Dak and draft a QB. Just think back to all of the QBs that we have had over the past 25 years and reflect on the fact that the 2 best QBs in that period was an undrafted FA that only made the team when Quincy Carter failed a drug test and a 4th rd pick that was selected after missing on the Cowboys two preferred QBs that were picked before we could (whose combined career stats since 2016 include 450 yds, 3 TDs and 4 INTs). This is the braintrust that is going to pick a QB that is better than Dak or Romo???...oh and did I mention how close were to picking Jonny football :rolleyes:

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I'll take the bait...

How much more consistent do you want your QB. Seems like asking for a miracle worker.

The dude has been pretty damn consistent his whole career in almost all aspects of QB'ing. Low turn overs to boot.

Sure...the guy might struggle against playoff teams...but most QB's do. Playoffs arent some walk in the park.

Please dont make this about pay vs play. Its a team game and Dak consistently pulls weight. If you want to suggest he sucks elsewhere like reading the field, beating zone, making tight throws, releasing too late, bad pocket presence, doesnt throw ball out of bounds and instead takes stupid 4 yard losses...I guess state your case....that all those things come into play and if youre weak in a couple areas it bites you in the playoffs. I dont fully buy that argument. Dak has been consistent and pulls weight in a team game where you have to rely on other players and coaches.

Not trying to attack you...but the word consistent being used. Just seems completely unfair use of a word with discussing Dak.
Yes, considering the basis is he had two bad playoff games out of 6 played. 1) that's an extremely small sample size to say he is inconsistent 2) of the 6 games he played he had a QB rating above 99 for 3 of the games, a 83.6 against Seattle with a win, and the 49ers game - whose roster is obviously a bad matchup for both the offense and defense.

NFCBeasts

Reaction score
Can we not have any troll
posts for the next few weeks … why divide the fan base at the most important time of the season ?

Qcard

Reaction score
Just askin'. :)

Football is so week to week, yet fans go on this emotional roller coaster ride after each win or loss.

But, every QB goes through it, except for maybe Mahomes, who gets a pass no matter how bad he plays.

Dak is not exempt from the fire after a bad offensive showing, let alone in consecutive weeks.

And, personally, I think he's overachieving based on his arm talent. But he's a bonafide great leader.

And here's who was taken ahead of Dak:

1 Jared Goff Cal Rams
2 Carson Wentz North Dakota State Eagles
26 Paxton Lynch Memphis Broncos
51 Christian Hackenberg Penn State Jets
91 Jacoby Brissett North Carolina State Patriots
93 Cody Kessler USC Browns
100 Connor Cook Michigan State Raiders

Does anyone wish we had any of them instead? LOL
Another Narrative Bites the Dust!!

Why aren't Dak Haters Dancing :laugh: :laugh: :dance:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I remember when so many on this board thought Jameis Winston was a better QB than Dak :lmao:

This got a lot of traction when we played him at the end part of the year in 2018.

Also heard that Daniel Jones was better.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, our glorious GM wanted Paxton lynch... that tell you how off he is
I don't understand this comment at all. You make it sound like the Cowboys were the only team interested. The truth is many teams were. Had he lasted until the middle of the 2nd round there were many teams that would have taken him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s been clear for about 4 years now. Went from a promising class to dreadful one. Brissett, Dak, Goff and Wentz are the only ones left and Dak and Goff look like the only franchise quarterbacks…Goff has closed the gap some he’s very fortunate that he went to Detroit when they turned around because had he got there even a year for two prior? Who knows how things go.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Uhhhhh, Goff has already been to a super bowl and we're trying to say Dak is better? In fact, he's now lead a second team to the playoffs. What if Detroit makes it to the super bowl, Goff's second appearance, will we still be trying to say Dak is better?

How about saving this conversation for a few weeks from now.

Last edited:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Uhhhhh, Goff has already been to a super bowl and we're trying to say Dak is better? In fact, he's now lead a second team to the playoffs. What if Detroit makes it to the super bowl, will we still be trying to say Dak is better than Goff?

Goff's having been to the Super Bowl does not automatically make him the best quarterback any more than it made Nick Foles the best. Goff did not play very well in the Super Bowl, but he's playing much better now. Statistically, Dak has outperformed Goff this year. Does that make Dak better overall? I don't know. They're both excellent quarterbacks. Other QBs in that draft have not done anywhere near as well as Dak and Goff.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Uhhhhh, Goff has already been to a super bowl and we're trying to say Dak is better? In fact, he's now lead a second team to the playoffs. What if Detroit makes it to the super bowl, Goff's second appearance, will we still be trying to say Dak is better?

The Rams went to a SB despite Goff which is why they traded Goff for Stafford lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Goff's having been to the Super Bowl does not automatically make him the best quarterback any more than it made Nick Foles the best. Goff did not play very well in the Super Bowl, but he's playing much better now. Statistically, Dak has outperformed Goff this year. Does that make Dak better overall? I don't know. They're both excellent quarterbacks. Other QBs in that draft have not done anywhere near as well as Dak and Goff.
Yeah very a flawed argument I agree. No one would ever say Nick Foles was better than Romo...hell most here would say Romo was better than Eli even though Eli had 2 rings....but NOW Goff is better because he got carried to the SB?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yeah very a flawed argument I agree. No one would ever say Nick Foles was better than Romo...hell most here would say Romo was better than Eli even though Eli had 2 rings....but NOW Goff is better because he got carried to the SB?
Yeah, I'd rather have 2023/24 Goff than 2018 Goff. He's playing well now that he knows the Lions' system well, but I do think Dak has outperformed him this year statistically. That said, if we had Goff as our QB, I wouldn't be mad. He's good, and definitely a lot better than he was with the Rams.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd rather have 2023/24 Goff than 2018 Goff. He's playing well now that he knows the Lions' system well, but I do think Dak has outperformed him this year statistically. That said, if we had Goff as our QB, I wouldn't be mad. He's good, and definitely a lot better than he was with the Rams.
The stats and metrics say Goff is the exact same QB in Detroit that he was in LA.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
The Rams went to a SB despite Goff which is why they traded Goff for Stafford lol.

No, they didn't get to the SB in spite of him. Goff was one of the league's best QBs in 2018.

They traded him because he wasn't nearly as good in 2019 and 20.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'd probably take Dak, but I think it's a mistake to just write off Goff at this point.

2023 season

Dak - 12-5, 69% comp, 4516 yards, 7.6 Y/A, 36TD, 9INT
Goff - 12-5, 67% comp, 4575 yards, 7.7 Y/A, 30 TD, 12 INT

Even with the advanced metrics it's pretty close. They are #2 and 3 in the league in air yards this year, expected completion % is Goff at 66.2 Dak at 64.8, almost identical time to throw (2.72 vs 2.73). The one metric that Dak really starts to separate himself from Goff is EPA.