Does Lamb hold out?

blueblood70

Reaction score
60M for *next* year.
This year, he's only due 30mil more.
I'd think he'd prefer to make 20-25 mil more *this* year. That's not chump change.
He'd also prefer to lock in a guarantee of a couple hundred mil rather than play a season unprotected for injury.
That's not how some of us prefer to view this t,here's like a middle somewhere, but think about it this way if he decides to hold out the entire year he loses $17 million,

so say he gets injured, but does it matter Prescott got a major injury and still got paid a lot, he got what he wanted ,didn't hold out got hurt got paid... I don't think Joe Burrows injury didn't get him paid... I mean people get injured they still get paid... Now if he holds out the entire year 17,000,000 gone free agency gone because they're going to own them for another year from what I understand but I'd have to look that up however if he does get his 32 million or 33 million for next year and he plays on that half that's gone because he chose to sat out now it means he's playing for $17 million less next year and they could franchise tag him...

That would be a bell /Antonio Brown moment and PB said nope play ,we pay, don't BYE BYE , where they thought they were going to get enough money to make up for the holdout and no it never came you never will get that back you're chasing that money cause you lost it you're never going to be in the plus because somebody's going to pay him eventually between 30 and $34 million but he's going to have to play to get it because if he doesn't it's going to be minus $1,000,000 a game before he gets paid he will never get that back because they are planning to pay him in that range I guarantee it so if he chooses to hold out it would be a boneheaded move IMHO

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep......I recall Stephen was so focused on getting Dak's deal done. He kept reminding the public how Zeke would get his money BUT he needed him to be patient. Since Zeke was going into his 4th year, Stephen was thinking he still had a 5th-year option and tag in his back pocket. Simply put, Zeke caught them totally off guard with a holdout. Looking back, Stephen probably should have called his bluff........no way Zeke was going anywhere over the next 3 years.
They couldn't call his bluff. In hindsight they should have. Zeke wasn't the same player in 2019 going forward. But they expected to see the same player they saw the last 3 years, and they needed him if they wanted to make any kind of run. Zeke figuratively had a gun to their head. Zeke wasn't that player, and the rest is history.

I don't blame Zeke. I'm happy for him. His lack of burst hurt the team more than his contract. We needed the player he used to be.

Adreme

Reaction score
That's not how some of us prefer to view this t,here's like a middle somewhere, but think about it this way if he decides to hold out the entire year he loses $17 million,

so say he gets injured, but does it matter Prescott got a major injury and still got paid a lot, he got what he wanted ,didn't hold out got hurt got paid... I don't think Joe Burrows injury didn't get him paid... I mean people get injured they still get paid... Now if he holds out the entire year 17,000,000 gone free agency gone because they're going to own them for another year from what I understand but I'd have to look that up however if he does get his 32 million or 33 million for next year and he plays on that half that's gone because he chose to sat out now it means he's playing for $17 million less next year and they could franchise tag him...

That would be a bell /Antonio Brown moment and PB said nope play ,we pay, don't BYE BYE , where they thought they were going to get enough money to make up for the holdout and no it never came you never will get that back you're chasing that money cause you lost it you're never going to be in the plus because somebody's going to pay him eventually between 30 and $34 million but he's going to have to play to get it because if he doesn't it's going to be minus $1,000,000 a game before he gets paid he will never get that back because they are planning to pay him in that range I guarantee it so if he chooses to hold out it would be a boneheaded move IMHO
Except the context of the conversation is about holding out. His AAV does not matter with regards to holding out as he would not be losing his AAV, he would be losing game checks on his 29m salary (1/17th for every game missed).

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamb and Micah are NOT holding out.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I can see Lamb and Parsons both holding out.

Dak, on the other hand, I have no idea. Dak wants money more than anything, and if it means him having to bust his butt trying to increase his value for free agency, I can see that happening. Unfortunately, whomever he goes to next, whether that means staying in Dallas or going elsewhere, will get the same Dak we have seen the past 4 years with the countless empty promises of getting better and not making any attempt at fulfilling them.

Dak is going to follow the money first. He has no loyalty to anything but himself.
CeeDee is Dak :huh: :facepalm: This thread is about Ceedee, why are you bringing Dak in it?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think Lamb should hold out, but I also see Dallas not budging so I’m not sure what happens with Lamb in that situation, does he just lose money or does he lose a year and is still under contract next year? I think he would ultimately get traded.

On Dak, I think they both want to part ways. Dak will get something like $34m this year and I’m not sure what happens if he holds out. I think Dallas would have to pay his salary anyway it’s guaranteed and they can’t cut him because of the cap hit.
$29 million to go for Dak, he was paid $5 million in March. No way he holds out or says or does anything that could adversely affect his value as a free agent. He is going to be the ideal teammate, never complain, help Lance and Rush, do his earnest best when on the field, and go sign with another team next March…for a lot of money.

shabazz

Reaction score
Nope. Zeke held out as soon as he could, after his 3rd year. Lamb didn't, so I don't see him doing it now. This is a bad year to hold out when expectations aren't that high. Everyone is expendable.
I agree with all you posted but Lamb really didn't have the leverage to hold out until this year. His meteoric rise really started the middle of 2 seasons ago and this was his first year of performing at this level the entire season.

I don't see Micah holding out this soon because like you posted, it's a bad time to hold out too early and expect Jerry to cave...zeke may have cured him of that.

shabazz

Reaction score
CeeDee is Dak :huh: :facepalm: This thread is about Ceedee, why are you bringing Dak in it?
Now that you've continued the Dak theme, I commend him and his agent for being smart enough to let this play out and show up for OTAs.....there's virtually no downside to it and in maximizes his future market value.....shrewd

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Nope. Zeke held out as soon as he could, after his 3rd year. Lamb didn't, so I don't see him doing it now. This is a bad year to hold out when expectations aren't that high. Everyone is expendable.
Also the team Cap is jacked.

There is no free money left.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Now that you've continued the Dak theme, I commend him and his agent for being smart enough to let this play out and show up for OTAs.....there's virtually no downside to it and in maximizes his future market value.....shrewd
Dak is a master at public relations. If he held out it would make him look bad.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This team is dumb ** with contracts, it’s a circus. Why play these games? The cost only goes up and should have just traded him for picks in a draft that was WR heavy
With no attempt to trade dak or lamb, says to me the jones boys plan on signing them at some point.
They have imo waited too late to try and trade them, most teams would wait for them to just hit FA and then dont have to give up
any picks.
It is still possible some team would give up pick and pay the big contracts for lamb or dak, but only a few team are in position to
do that.

Now if they plan to sign them at some point, why they are waiting so long to start talks can only be a negotiation tactic.

I just cant see the jones boys letting dak go, and get nothing in return, unless lance looks real good in PS or replaced dak at some
point this season and do good.

But it is the circus, and jerry is the ring master so who knows?

conner01

Reaction score
THIS is why you have to believe Jerry has every intention of extending Dak........ just whether it's their numbers or Dak's. ( Bad year for Dak= their numbers.......Good year for Dak = his numbers)
That’s the only thing that makes any sense. If you wasn’t signing him, lamb, micah you’d have to be making some moves. Seems logical to us and hopefully Jerry too lol

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me, the better question is, “Why are the Cowboys holding out?” Why do the Cowboys almost always wait to sign their star players until the market is set? It has been proven time and again in this league - waiting will cost you more money. The real holdouts in this situation are Stephen and Jerry.

Besides….who has leverage here? Cowboys or Cedee? Hands down it’s Cedee Lamb. And Parsons. And Dak for that matter.

I know there’s a huge portion of our fan base who think Dak is gone after this year and I‘m not totally against that. But realize this front office is completely and utterly clueless on how to find a starting QB and Jerry has always been reluctant to move on from any QB he thinks gives them a ray of a chance.

The Cowboys are planning to sign all 3 of these guys. Who has the leverage? Those players. Whatever any of us think of the cost or wisdom in signing any or all of these guys, just know the agents for those players are completely and totally in the driver’s seat. It will be like stealing candy from 2 year olds.

blueblood70

Reaction score
With no attempt to trade dak or lamb, says to me the jones boys plan on signing them at some point.
They have imo waited too late to try and trade them, most teams would wait for them to just hit FA and then dont have to give up
any picks.
It is still possible some team would give up pick and pay the big contracts for lamb or dak, but only a few team are in position to
do that.

Now if they plan to sign them at some point, why they are waiting so long to start talks can only be a negotiation tactic.

I just cant see the jones boys letting dak go, and get nothing in return, unless lance looks real good in PS or replaced dak at some
point this season and do good.

But it is the circus, and jerry is the ring master so who knows?
First of all, I agree with most of what you said... however,

I disagree the fact that you think it's too late to trade them.. Prescott may have a no trade clause but CD lamb he's under contract, 5th year contract sighned, he can be traded at any time not only this year before the trade deadlin,e he could be franchise tagged and they would have to give a boatload of picks to the Cowboys to get him. he's not going to be a free agent easily or anytime soon.

The difference between lamb and Prescott is the fact that this is lamb's first contract , Prescott was able to have the Cowboys put the no trade clause and the no franchise tag clause in his contract because of what they did to him he was worried they would do it to him again so now he has that leverage lamb has no leverage at this point he can be traded at any moment..

I'm not saying they will do that I'm saying please stop with that they'll wait till he's a free agent they can franchise tag lamb twice if they want to he's a cowboy until they say otherwise.... I just want to remind you he's not an automatic free agent and the Cowboys could get off cheap if they kept them on a franchise tag next year, I mean considering he might want 35,000,000& the franchise tag for a wide receiver might be like 30...

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree with all you posted but Lamb really didn't have the leverage to hold out until this year. His meteoric rise really started the middle of 2 seasons ago and this was his first year of performing at this level the entire season.

I don't see Micah holding out this soon because like you posted, it's a bad time to hold out too early and expect Jerry to cave...zeke may have cured him of that.
If they fully intend on keeping Parsons, they should extend him now. It gives them an extra 2 years to spread out the ridiculous contract.

blueblood70

Reaction score
To me, the better question is, “Why are the Cowboys holding out?” Why do the Cowboys almost always wait to sign their star players until the market is set? It has been proven time and again in this league - waiting will cost you more money. The real holdouts in this situation are Stephen and Jerry.

Besides….who has leverage here? Cowboys or Cedee? Hands down it’s Cedee Lamb. And Parsons. And Dak for that matter.

I know there’s a huge portion of our fan base who think Dak is gone after this year and I‘m not totally against that. But realize this front office is completely and utterly clueless on how to find a starting QB and Jerry has always been reluctant to move on from any QB he thinks gives them a ray of a chance.

The Cowboys are planning to sign all 3 of these guys. Who has the leverage? Those players. Whatever any of us think of the cost or wisdom in signing any or all of these guys, just know the agents for those players are completely and totally in the driver’s seat. It will be like stealing candy from 2 year olds.
No the counter point is you don't know what's going on behind closed doors ,you act like the Cowboys are the only one holding these deals up, if they want Max money and won't come down on negotiations, then this is what happens..

literally you're not adding in the agent and the player in the holdup, you think it's always about the Dallas Cowboys FO, how do you not know that the players are not willing to deal and they're standing pat at like an insane number??!

you're not hearing everything that comes out of the ranch oops I mean the star, just because we all as fans get to see massive amounts of information leak and is available to us don't mean you know everything, not everything is being talked about , trust me...

Most of what we hear is what they allow us to hear, the stuff in public is simply posturing... There are other players on 5th year contracts, on franchise tags, or waiting on big contracts, & the markets already been set..

we've already discussed it,

we think CD lamb is waiting on Justin Jefferson and vice versa but there are other wide receivers waiting on contracts right now as well.. this is not a Jerry Jones thing you just say it is you all like the baster Jones is even though lots of players play on a fifth year, they play on a franchise tag, and or they hold out for more money or they get traded and/or become free agents..

this is just the business of the NFL and you're making it a Jones family deal and it is not just them.. It's odd that you all don't see this around the NFL the other 32 teams they do this stuff as well they don't always just up a guy it seems like that to you there's an awful lot of players that are being traded or playing on a fifth year option or a franchise tag this is just a business of the NFL in sports it doesn't always get done when it should be in the fans eyes there are a lot of details that work out and some of these huge ridiculous contracts that are coming up now...

Motorola

Reaction score
The thread's creator mentioned Prescott and his contract situation in the first comment - that's why the CZer mentioned him in the response.