Does McClay have a player philosophy or just service what the Coach wants?

vlad

Reaction score
Curious if he has a philosophy on like "we want XYZ" or if he views his job as getting what the current coaches want.

I assume he doesn't pick the coach, so I would guess the latter, but well you guys know better than me, lol. thx

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
He's in charge of player personnel of the college players i'm assuming. The players they covet, they have him dispatch guys to that area to see said player(s) and go from there, everything else, i'm sure they ask for his input, but that's probably all

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Curious if he has a philosophy on like "we want XYZ" or if he views his job as getting what the current coaches want.

I assume he doesn't pick the coach, so I would guess the latter, but well you guys know better than me, lol. thx
it was said years ago about how Mclay and his staff go in to each position group and sit with the coaches and talk to them about traits they want in players. then the Scouts go and find those players/traits prioritizing them above other things. but then still come as a whole to go over each position group and setting the board for them.

Kwyn

Reaction score

Reports have shown that he leans towards soliciting feedback from the HC and Coordinators on what type of player they need for their system and then researches and recommends.

GMs shouldn’t, imo, have their own systems that they force on the coaching staff by drafting players for themselves.

Majic

Reaction score
I was listening to Randy Mueller the experienced former GM today. He was talking about McClay and on evaluating him more or less said that he was impressed with him 2 years ago, but not so since then.
Our philosophy has been best player available and we will make them fit
Not sure this is the case in reality

CWR

Reaction score

It's been said he's told to look for a mold and thats what he does.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

All he does is say YES Jerry and most of the time his picks are like Mazi and Taco and a ton of busted # 2 picks.
Why he is worshipped here is beyond me.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Front office and coaching should always be in lockstep.

I can't imagine there's a player personnel group in the league who isn't in dialogue with the coaching staff about the type of players they want.
Really??? Did you pay attention to the Trey Lance trade.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it was said years ago about how Mclay and his staff go in to each position group and sit with the coaches and talk to them about traits they want in players. then the Scouts go and find those players/traits prioritizing them above other things. but then still come as a whole to go over each position group and setting the board for them.
Now and then, best player available.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Really??? Did you pay attention to the Trey Lance trade.
What about it?

Just because Jerry pulled the trigger suddenly doesn't mean that McCarthy didn't know McClay and the personnel group were looking at him.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I would guess he provides the recommendations to Jerry and Stephen who obviously have the final say. As for the 2nd round, it appears Jerry has taken that as his own personal pick, and thus screwed up big time consistently.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What about it?

Just because Jerry pulled the trigger suddenly doesn't mean that McCarthy didn't know McClay and the personnel group were looking at him.
Jerry admitted he made the decision on his own. Did not have time to talk to anyone, because there was such a demand(sarcasm) he did not want to get off the phone and had to make a quick decision

We gave up a 4th, when the only offer they had received was a conditional 7th round pick.

Jerry has no idea what he is doing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Man its funny I was just thinking about something similar about 10 minutes ago......

I look at how Ravens and 49ers are built and they clearly have a type. They surround their team with physical playmakers.

I feel Cowboys just find talent and the best and go from there.

Which it works to their advantage because they have a good roster. The most physical guy isn't always the best. But they have dogs.

Steelers too. These teams always draft the same type of players and have been for over 10 years. You gotta be a dog to play for those teams.

We have players all over the place. Lamb and Micah are finesse guys....D-Law is a DOG, Ferg is a DOG, Diggs is finesse.....just all over the place.