Does McClay have a player philosophy or just service what the Coach wants?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, that keeps being said. If we draft so well, two questions for you:

1) How in the world did we take all these 2nd round busts? I mean, we're talking huge gaffes. Schooner, Joseph, Williams, Hill, Jaylon. And I mean, these are not questionable picks, they are terrible picks.
2) If we are so great at drafting, then why do we have gaping holes at LB and 3tech? WR2, FS, backup OL. I mean, these areas are terrible. And no starting RB. Where is the great drafting?
Well I mean every team has holes. 49ers are the deepest team in the league and had to trade to get Bosa help. Every team has flaws and holes. As far as the second round goes they fail there just like everyone else.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Well I mean every team has holes. 49ers are the deepest team in the league and had to trade to get Bosa help. Every team has flaws and holes. As far as the second round goes they fail there just like everyone else.
In the 2nd, Jerry often will think he’s outsmarting everyone and will pick the “1st rounder” who fell to the second whether because of injury or off the field issues.

They fell for a reason. The injured will miss much or all of their rookie season and no guarantee when healed will be the same. The other issues tend ti remain issue’s especially now that they have $$$$.

When it’s not an injury/problem player then it’s often a need pick/reach.

Miss on way too many of these and often it’s self-inflicted. But wildcatter and stuff…

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
In the 2nd, Jerry often will think he’s outsmarting everyone and will pick the “1st rounder” who fell to the second whether because of injury or off the field issues.

They fell for a reason. The injured will miss much or all of their rookie season and no guarantee when healed will be the same. The other issues tend ti remain issue’s especially now that they have $$$$.

When it’s not an injury/problem player then it’s often a need pick/reach.

Miss on way too many of these and often it’s self-inflicted. But wildcatter and stuff…
I agree but when you look at their history it’s not nearly as bad as it seems. They drafted Lawrence, Chido, Conner, Lee and Diggs in that round as well.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
I was listening to Randy Mueller the experienced former GM today. He was talking about McClay and on evaluating him more or less said that he was impressed with him 2 years ago, but not so since then.
That's the thing about drafting. Even if you're good at it, all it means is that you're roughly league-average over a multi-year timespan. Some of the recent misses are just a regression to the mean. That, and listening to Dan Quinn too much.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I agree but when you look at their history it’s not nearly as bad as it seems. They drafted Lawrence, Chido, Conner, Lee and Diggs in that round as well.
5 in 15 years with two being marginal and not getting a 2nd contract is pretty bad. Horrible ratio

DFWJC

Reaction score
Curious if he has a philosophy on like "we want XYZ" or if he views his job as getting what the current coaches want.

I assume he doesn't pick the coach, so I would guess the latter, but well you guys know better than me, lol. thx
McClay has a massive database of

Draft eligible players, and some futures
All NFL players in the league, regardless of availabilty

They are ranked independent of the coaches, but I hear the rankings can be tweaked based on coaching requested needs

Brax

Reaction score
Curious if he has a philosophy on like "we want XYZ" or if he views his job as getting what the current coaches want.

I assume he doesn't pick the coach, so I would guess the latter, but well you guys know better than me, lol. thx
His philosophy is simple give Jerry credit for everything and keep the big checks coming in. “Yes Jerry you are right about that.”

CWR

Reaction score
Taco was BPA in that draft, and was rated as a better prospect than TJ. Drafting using BPA is both stupid and only relevant in the later rounds.
Thats not how I remember it. A lot of people had Watt higher, but he wasn't a scheme fit according to RM. Most of the board felt that way as well.

Majic

Reaction score
That's the thing about drafting. Even if you're good at it, all it means is that you're roughly league-average over a multi-year timespan. Some of the recent misses are just a regression to the mean. That, and listening to Dan Quinn too much.
Also Mueller did not like the giving a lot of money to Steele and $6 million to a defensive player which would be Wilson. He thought they were overpaid. Too much of we must pay our own guys.

shabazz

Reaction score
Perhaps this analogy would clarify things.

"Did Himmler have a person philosophy or just service what der Fuhrer wanted?"

Just used for illustrative purposes only

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Also Mueller did not like the giving a lot of money to Steele and $6 million to a defensive player which would be Wilson. He thought they were overpaid. Too much of we must pay our own guys.
Yeah, I've heard other national media guys criticize the Steele contract lately too. I mean, they had him coming off an injury at like $4 million a year, and then extend him knowing he would probably have a down year anyway. At least Wilson looks like he's bouncing back from his injury after a slow start. I think he actually has a chance to justify his contract next year. Especially with Kearse moving on.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You don't know that. There were probably a lot of teams with interest which, to your point, is why Jerry acted quickly.

What is the point of just making things up?
The Niners admitted they were shocked Jerry offered a 4th and no one else had offered more than a conditional 7th round pick.