Does McClay have a player philosophy or just service what the Coach wants?

Chasing6

Reaction score
The San Francisco 49ers received a surprising trade offer for Trey Lance from the Dallas Cowboys, but it was more about the quality of the pick than the suitor that surprised 49ers general manager John Lynch. When asked if any of the other offers for Lance included a fourth-round pick, Lynch had this to say to Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. “It wasn’t anywhere close,” Lynch said.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well I mean every team has holes. 49ers are the deepest team in the league and had to trade to get Bosa help. Every team has flaws and holes. As far as the second round goes they fail there just like everyone else.
Well, there's the cookie cutter answer.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well I mean every team has holes. 49ers are the deepest team in the league and had to trade to get Bosa help. Every team has flaws and holes. As far as the second round goes they fail there just like everyone else.
Niners have made significant trades over the years. Even wasted multiple picks on Trey Lance and are still doing just fine.

They understand how to build a team.

Gambit

Reaction score
All he does is say YES Jerry and most of the time his picks are like Mazi and Taco and a ton of busted # 2 picks.
Why he is worshipped here is beyond me.
Straight up lie.

Man this board has devolved.

75boyz

Reaction score
The GM and Head Coach of an NFL team should be in lock step on their philosophy on what type of players they are looking for to be members of their team.

These 2 individuals should be the only voices behind ALL player draft selection and FA acquisition and trades.

The term too many cooks in the kitchen is an appropriate comparison to describe the Cowboy Front Office group thinktank method that is paraded around Frisco.

And then to ultimately be voted yes or no by an unqualified 80 year old.

These are our Cowboys.

smdh

Gambit

Reaction score
I do think those guys were the best players rated on their boards. They spoke very highly of Joseph and Sam. Hill is the only one i'm not entirely sure about. So many red flags on him.....but we've seen that Cowboys board doesn't match up with the "experts" or analysts board. Never has. People said we should've never picked Tyler Smith and he was a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Same goes for Fredericks.
Most of league had Fredricks as a 3rd guy.

Every HC/ coordinator is going to have preferences for the system they run. Parcells big thing was let me pick the groceries.

Gambit

Reaction score
McClay and staff scout the players and puts the board together. He doesn’t draft the players.
He's very involved, see the waroom discussion on Mazi or Bergeron it was Wills voice that was heard.

Gambit

Reaction score
Niners have made significant trades over the years. Even wasted multiple picks on Trey Lance and are still doing just fine.

They understand how to build a team.
And we're helped by a few 3rd picks for minority staff being hired and promoted.

Let's not forget these things

Helped by having last guy in draft be able to play well above what anyone thought.

For their hits they have missed. Just like any other team.

zerofill

Reaction score
Curious if he has a philosophy on like "we want XYZ" or if he views his job as getting what the current coaches want.

I assume he doesn't pick the coach, so I would guess the latter, but well you guys know better than me, lol. thx
I think he goes by the Jerry rule. Jerry builds a football team like it is the WWE.

Find a couple people we can make into superstars. They will sell a bunch of merch, get endorsements, and keep eyes on the Cowboys.
Rest of the roster, we can fill out with whatever we can, and hope they are good lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pointing at the weaknesses of others does not solve your own weaknesses.
That’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is you will constantly be chasing fixing weaknesses. You can’t fix them all. It’s not an excuse to lose because you have 3 holes. Your star players are suppose to make up for that which is why you pay them big money.