Does McClay have a player philosophy or just service what the Coach wants?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Very true, and a big reason why we keep losing in the playoffs.
Yep. I mean if you want your best players to be finesse....fine but you gotta surround some dogs around them. That stuff translates. This team has been the same since the Romo years and in part its because this issue wasn't fixed then. I feel D-Law tries but its even so much he can do as one man.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Taco was BPA in that draft, and was rated as a better prospect than TJ. Drafting using BPA is both stupid and only relevant in the later rounds.
People really have that revisionist history on Watt. The whole story was "he wasn't a fit". He becomes one of the best players in the league and that changes. And I agree that's a terrible way to go about a draft. Taco was a very good prospect though and worthy of where we selected.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
Is it? Trysten Hill, Sam Williams, Joseph, not even close to BPA. Those guys were rated in the later rounds.
We have our own draft grades like Fredrick who was high on our board and low on everyone elses

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep. I mean if you want your best players to be finesse....fine but you gotta surround some dogs around them. That stuff translates. This team has been the same since the Romo years and in part its because this issue wasn't fixed then. I feel D-Law tries but its even so much he can do as one man.
I talk about this exact thing all the time w/ my buds. One of our huge problems is we don't have an identity.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Is it? Trysten Hill, Sam Williams, Joseph, not even close to BPA. Those guys were rated in the later rounds.
I do think those guys were the best players rated on their boards. They spoke very highly of Joseph and Sam. Hill is the only one i'm not entirely sure about. So many red flags on him.....but we've seen that Cowboys board doesn't match up with the "experts" or analysts board. Never has. People said we should've never picked Tyler Smith and he was a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Same goes for Fredericks.

kskboys

Reaction score
I do think those guys were the best players rated on their boards. They spoke very highly of Joseph and Sam. Hill is the only one i'm not entirely sure about. So many red flags on him.....but we've seen that Cowboys board doesn't match up with the "experts" or analysts board. Never has. People said we should've never picked Tyler Smith and he was a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Same goes for Fredericks.
Then our boards are very badly constructed. Need better input then.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I talk about this exact thing all the time w/ my buds. One of our huge problems is we don't have an identity.
Nope. Never have. And to be honest there's only one identity you want. You want to be tough and physical. That stuff translates regardless of personnel.

People keep wondering why does Tomlin always have a winning record? His teams are never the best but they have a identity and stick with it. No matter the personnel.

I'm by no means a scout or a draft guru....but for me I don't get how that's not a necessary trait. I want physicality and toughness. I want guys who bully with their play.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Then our boards are very badly constructed. Need better input then.
I mean we draft well so maybe they are? Maybe they could be even better? Like I said earlier, boards said we shouldn't have drafted Tyler Smith and Fredericks where we did.

I think the issue comes with these boards is the Cowboys and most teams consider about 13 or 14 guys as legit 1st rounders. After that its guys with 2nd and 3rd round grades....so I think that's why you see them all over the place in later rounds...its why they take Tyler Smith.

I think its also why they took Lamb despite not needing a receiver. It was a no brainer that at the 17th pick they had Lamb graded as a top 10 guy and took him.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Hill was reportedly Marinelli’s “gotta have him” pick.

Rayman70

Reaction score
In all fairness to the other 31 teams & player head personnel guys, this isn't uncommon and is more the norm. I don't think any GM/ personnel guy has carte Blanche to do whatever they want. Checks and balances.

kskboys

Reaction score
We have our own draft grades like Fredrick who was high on our board and low on everyone elses
He really wasn't. Frederick had a late 1st round grade, and that was due to his position. There was actually no doubt that Fredsy would be at the bare minimum a strong as a bull C who would not be owned, ever. Only questions were about his ability to block at the 2nd level, that was it.

kskboys

Reaction score
I mean we draft well so maybe they are? Maybe they could be even better? Like I said earlier, boards said we shouldn't have drafted Tyler Smith and Fredericks where we did.

I think the issue comes with these boards is the Cowboys and most teams consider about 13 or 14 guys as legit 1st rounders. After that its guys with 2nd and 3rd round grades....so I think that's why you see them all over the place in later rounds...its why they take Tyler Smith.

I think its also why they took Lamb despite not needing a receiver. It was a no brainer that at the 17th pick they had Lamb graded as a top 10 guy and took him.
Yeah, that keeps being said. If we draft so well, two questions for you:

1) How in the world did we take all these 2nd round busts? I mean, we're talking huge gaffes. Schooner, Joseph, Williams, Hill, Jaylon. And I mean, these are not questionable picks, they are terrible picks.
2) If we are so great at drafting, then why do we have gaping holes at LB and 3tech? WR2, FS, backup OL. I mean, these areas are terrible. And no starting RB. Where is the great drafting?