Does McClay have a player philosophy or just service what the Coach wants?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jerry admitted he made the decision on his own. Did not have time to talk to anyone, because there was such a demand(sarcasm) he did not want to get off the phone and had to make a quick decision

We gave up a 4th, when the only offer they had received was a conditional 7th round pick.

Jerry has no idea what he is doing.
I don't buy that. Jerry took credit for it but it was a collective. Jerry will take blame and take credit but one thing i've realized is he's not making decisions alone. If he was we would have Johnny Manziel here right now instead of Martin.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That is executing the actual trade.

That doesn't mean that there weren't conversations about the player already.
Interesting. I am sure they had plenty of discussions about him before the draft. 3 years later is a different story. Discussions 3 years later would be different.

If you believe that any team has current discussions about potential trades on every player in the league that is not on the trade market you are crazy.

Jerry admits he was surprised he was available to be traded and had to make a quick decision.

Jerry did not want to be talked out of making his dumb decision!!!

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't buy that. Jerry took credit for it but it was a collective. Jerry will take blame and take credit but one thing i've realized is he's not making decisions alone. If he was we would have Johnny Manziel here right now instead of Martin.
No because that was a discussion.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His own son had to back him up against the wall to to do it.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Interesting. I am sure they had plenty of discussions about him before the draft. 3 years later is a different story. Discussions 3 years later would be different.

If you believe that any team has current discussions about potential trades on every player in the league that is not on the trade market you are crazy.

Jerry admits he was surprised he was available to be traded and had to make a quick decision.

Jerry did not want to be talked out of making his dumb decision!!!
It's not like it wasn't known that Lance was available, or about to be available, for months.

I keep asking this and never get an answer on this board. What do you think pro scouting departments do? Of course they look at and evaluate every backup quarterback in the league lol

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
His own son had to back him up against the wall to to do it.
And I imagine that happens most times if there is something as big as that. Jerry wanted PAxton Lynch. He takes that blame. But make no mistake there were people in that scout department that also wanted him.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's not like it wasn't known that Lance was available, or about to be available, for months.

I keep asking this and never get an answer on this board. What do you think pro scouting departments do? Of course they look at and evaluate every backup quarterback in the league lol
So why no other team had any interest in a former 3rd over all pick??? Explain that.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
So why no other team had any interest in a former 3rd over all pick??? Explain that.
You don't know that. There were probably a lot of teams with interest which, to your point, is why Jerry acted quickly.

What is the point of just making things up?

fivetwos

Reaction score
They seem to have a habit of taking position coach pet cats in certain spots.

While it’s tough to complain about how things have gone on Saturday…even Thursday of late until probably this past year…the 2nd and 3rd rounds have killed them.

2021 alone…Joseph, Osi, Golston, Wright was an absolute killer and a big part of why there are so many holes in this roster.

I mean, at some point the narrative that they draft so well has to be looked at a little closer when you bust premium picks and field a roster with nearly no linebackers on it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Accept for the 2nd round where Jerry likes to WildCat in
Can't just be best player available, when you have massive holes. Especially when the best player does not fit your system. We are not smart enough to adjust our system to the players strengths.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They seem to have a habit of taking position coach pet cats in certain spots.

While it’s tough to complain about how things have gone on Saturday…even Thursday of late until probably this past year…the 2nd and 3rd rounds have killed them.

2021 alone…Joseph, Osi, Golston, Wright was an absolute killer and a big part of why there are so many holes in this roster.

I mean, at some point the narrative that they draft so well has to be looked at a little closer when you bust premium picks and field a roster with nearly no linebackers on it.
I don't know about that. Well Osi and Golston are good pieces for your line. Wright and Joseph was a joke and even if they hit I don't understand what that was about.

But they made up for Joseph when they found Bland. I don't care if you make bust picks if you make up for it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That is executing the actual trade.

That doesn't mean that there weren't conversations about the player already.
If you had conversations already and everyone was in agreement, why would he need to say he made the decision on his own!??

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If you had conversations already and everyone was in agreement, why would he need to say he made the decision on his own!??
Because he's talking about the trade compensation and executing the actual trade, not talking about evaluating Lance as a player.

I'll ask again, what do you think pro scouting departments actually do?

kskboys

Reaction score
Curious if he has a philosophy on like "we want XYZ" or if he views his job as getting what the current coaches want.

I assume he doesn't pick the coach, so I would guess the latter, but well you guys know better than me, lol. thx
Bigger question: Did he approve of the 2nd round picks of Schooner, Williams, Joseph, Jaylon, and Trysten Hill? If so, he's a terrible drafter. That question must be answered accurately before one can claim he's good or bad at drafting.

kskboys

Reaction score
Man its funny I was just thinking about something similar about 10 minutes ago......

I look at how Ravens and 49ers are built and they clearly have a type. They surround their team with physical playmakers.

I feel Cowboys just find talent and the best and go from there.

Which it works to their advantage because they have a good roster. The most physical guy isn't always the best. But they have dogs.

Steelers too. These teams always draft the same type of players and have been for over 10 years. You gotta be a dog to play for those teams.

We have players all over the place. Lamb and Micah are finesse guys....D-Law is a DOG, Ferg is a DOG, Diggs is finesse.....just all over the place.
Very true, and a big reason why we keep losing in the playoffs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Because he's talking about the trade compensation and executing the actual trade, not talking about evaluating Lance as a player.

I'll ask again, what do you think pro scouting departments actually do?
They don't waste their time on hypothetical trades. Even if they discussed trading for Trey Lance, it does not mean they were in agreement.

He clearly said he made this decision on his own. Either indicating it was not discussed or they were not in alignment.

If it was discussed and in alignment, why would he state he made this decision on his own?

Regardless it was an idiotic decision.