Does the idea of drafting another quarterback in the first round entice you at all?

75boyz

Reaction score
we just speaking the truth. Bad qb play shouldn’t be rewarded for good rosters they inherited

Your previous summary so accurately describes exactly who and what the guy is as a player that I had to give you a shout out. Props bro.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
This! Along with a top flight S.

Since you like dak so much.........

how do you do that? Build the interior d line and get a top flight safety while have all top paid players on offense?
I was just wondering because we’ve been trying to address that for 4years of dak but it’s really hard to Do when you draft at 20 or so.......and don’t you want to pay the qb we had the past 4 years like $30 something million more than he made last year? So I’m just curious how you want to go about it

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If the Cowboys decide to pick a QB at some point, it probably won't be before a mid round pick or later. The defense is much more likely to take up the first few rounds, imho. It's quite possible that a fourth round pick or later could replace Rush, who might falter in extended time. He lacks a real NFL arm, although he's reasonably accurate, given time. Without plenty of time, he's quite immobile.

We could do worse than to find another QB to replace Rush or perhaps even challenge Dak. He's already had shoulder trouble and if he should decide to hold out at some point, someone to replace him for an extended period of time would be necessary.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Since you like dak so much.........

how do you do that? Build the interior d line and get a top flight safety while have all top paid players on offense?
I was just wondering because we’ve been trying to address that for 4years of dak but it’s really hard to Do when you draft at 20 or so.......and don’t you want to pay the qb we had the past 4 years like $30 something million more than he made last year? So I’m just curious how you want to go about it

Never said I like Dak my man you got me confused with someone else. Peace out ONE LOVE.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
If the Cowboys decide to pick a QB at some point, it probably won't be before a mid round pick or later. The defense is much more likely to take up the first few rounds, imho. It's quite possible that a fourth round pick or later could replace Rush, who might falter in extended time. He lacks a real NFL arm, although he's reasonably accurate, given time. Without plenty of time, he's quite immobile.

We could do worse than to find another QB to replace Rush or perhaps even challenge Dak. He's already had shoulder trouble and if he should decide to hold out at some point, someone to replace him for an extended period of time would be necessary.

Dak would be wise to claim his shoulder is bothering him, as he did toward end of season and no other time in his career. He’d have been wise to jump on the kap train also. But he didn’t, and he didn’t win. So he kinda lost out on the money grab

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak would be wise to claim his shoulder is bothering him, as he did toward end of season and no other time in his career. He’d have been wise to jump on the kap train also. But he didn’t, and he didn’t win. So he kinda lost out on the money grab

Perhaps but I'm not totally convinced that the Dallas FO will hold firm and refuse to offer him in excess $33 million smackers. Perhaps they'd even be willing to offer him $33 mil or so, with incentives to get more. It's hard to say at this time what might happen. They're facing some pretty tough contractual problems, trying to satisfy the others that will surely want their fair share of the pie, too. ;)

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I copied it for you...

‘ I’d still like to hear your thoughts on why our opponents scheme to shut down Zeke is a proven method of success against us.’
I’ve already answered it for you. I said maybe Dak isn’t good enough. You mentioned it was “progress”.

Do you have memory issues?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve already answered it for you. I said maybe Dak isn’t good enough. You mentioned it was “progress”.

Do you have memory issues?
Yes, that was part of it.

I was wanting to expand it but that’s fine. Since you were pressing the “ in the box” was a fallacy.

kskboys

Reaction score
With a franchise quarterback, you don't need an outstanding defensive line.
With a bus driver, you need outstanding at every position.
Just saying.
Incorrect.

Outstanding DLines keep winning super bowls. KC has one, as does SF, and those DLines were a huge reason both teams got there.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Just asking,,,, Do you know that McCarthy was brought in to keep this current roster, mainly Dak in place and move forward?
I find it odd, that everyone has their specific plan in place, but nobody is talking about the MM plan.
What authority, how much freedom has MM been given?
Is that part of the reason why Dak hasn't been signed yet?
We will know just how much authority MM has been given in a few short months, and I personally believe that its more than some are willing to admit at this time.
This draft will signal the fan base that is paying attention, truly which direction,, until then, truly speculation.

I am speaking of the state of the union here in Cowboy land. The idea of dumping your starter and drafting another after giving up no telling what to move into position to get a real candidate means waiting on the new QB to get up to speed and win.

This team is built for now, not four years from now.

If you think sending Dak away is the answer. Especially without getting a seasoned QB to replace him. Then you have an offensive line that is rapidly aging. Holes in the defense and age creeping on some of those guys.

Now throw in the facts that Rodgers was not all that his first several years until McCarthy trained him. Now I don't expect that level of skill from Dak after training. But championships have been won by players that were not in the Hall of Fame.

What I do know is Jones expects results. Completely overhauling this team and creating a five year window was not why McCarthy was hired. So any idea the Cowboys will jettison players and start over with expectations in the future and not now, to my way of thinking, would have brought a college coach and not McCarthy.

I could be wrong. But more of the same as they rebuild again could have been done under Garrett.

8-8 is not acceptable to the front office.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It’s not a knock on our quarterback. I’m genuinely asking.

I like Dak but the idea completely starting over with McCarthy is an enticing option for me. I’m good either way but I wanted to get a room temperature of the board
I like the idea of drafting a QB in the middle rounds if a decent one with potential is there, but first round? No way in hell I go there unless we trade Dak before the draft.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Incorrect.

Outstanding DLines keep winning super bowls. KC has one, as does SF, and those DLines were a huge reason both teams got there.
I disagree.

It's always the franchise quarterback.
Franchise quarterbacks (Super Bowl wins, Super Bowl appearances): Starr (2,2) Aikman (3,3), Elway (2,5), Brady (6,9) Warner (1,3), Montana (4,4), Favre (1,2), Staubach (2,4), Bradshaw (4,4), Roethlisberger (2,3) Griese (2,3) Tarkenton (0,4), Kelly (0,4), Peyton Manning (2,3).
Outstanding Dline, let's concede that Aikman, Montana, Staubach and Bradshaw had outstanding defensive lines. Now let's look at the great defenses/defensive lines
The Bears (1), the Ravens (1) (their second win did not feature a great defensive line), the Giants (2), the Bills (0), the Bucs (1).

Conclusion: when you have a franchise quarterback, you're more likely to get to multiple Super Bowls. When you have a franchise defense, yes, you can get to Super Bowls, but you're not likely to win multiple Super Bowls. This is particularly true now because the rules basically favor the quarterback and the passing game. Remember, it's easier to keep one than it is to keep four (i.e., a defensive frontline).

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Replace Rush? There are more reports surfacing about the situation, even some saying Dak could hold out. If he does, would Dallas consider trading him and moving on?

If they did, this could be a good season to add someone in the first round of the draft, and Dak would surely net enough in a trade that they could possibly have their pick outside of Burrow. These 3 come to mind. Fromm, Love or Herbert.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Incorrect.

P.S., I wouldn't say KC's defensive line is outstanding. KC won because:

1. The 49ers got away from creative run play calling. Tyrann Mathieu said as much. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...rateful-when-49ers-started-to-throw-the-ball/
2. The Chiefs had Mahomes (franchise quarterback) and the 49ers didn't have a franchise quarterback. Make no mistake about it, if the Chiefs had anyone other than Mahomes, they're not winning that game. He was the difference through his passing and via his feet opening up the passing game.

75boyz

Reaction score
P.S., I wouldn't say KC's defensive line is outstanding. KC won because:

1. The 49ers got away from creative run play calling. Tyrann Mathieu said as much. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...rateful-when-49ers-started-to-throw-the-ball/
2. The Chiefs had Mahomes (franchise quarterback) and the 49ers didn't have a franchise quarterback. Make no mistake about it, if the Chiefs had anyone other than Mahomes, they're not winning that game. He was the difference through his passing and via his feet opening up the passing game.

Really nice posts, rebuttal and examples. Totally agree.