Does Tony Romo need somebody to get in his face?

kevm3

Reaction score
Hatcher supposedly told him to stop audibling all the time last year
honestly, it's too late. You can't tell a guy at the tail end of his career. Also, you seen Garrett and Romo hanging out during offseason. Obviously, they have a very buddy relationship, so Garrett will only be able to go so hard on Romo.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Hatcher supposedly told him to stop audibling all the time last year
honestly, it's too late. You can't tell a guy at the tail end of his career. Also, you seen Garrett and Romo hanging out during offseason. Obviously, they have a very buddy relationship, so Garrett will only be able to go so hard on Romo.

Well then we'll just see more of the same.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Romo needs to at least be told to stop checking out of run plays in the red zone. It's Garretts job to get this done.

daveferr33

Reaction score
This organization, especially Romo, never recovered from Parcells' departure.

Romo, more than anyone else, needed Parcells (or someone like him to coach him). Instead, the new regime treated Romo like a co-equal (this is clearly documented on Hard Knocks '07). As a result, Romo has at various times in his career forgot the QB Commandments that he used to have taped to his locker:

Quarterback commandments:

1. Ignore other opinions – Press or TV, agents or advisors, family or wives, friends or relatives, fans or hangers on – ignore them on matters of football, they don’t know what’s happening here.

2. Clowns can’t run a huddle – don’t forget to have fun but don’t be the class clown. Clowns and leaders don’t mix. Clowns can’t run a huddle.

3. Fat QBs can’t avoid the rush – A quarterback throws with his legs more than his arm. Squat and run.

4. Know your job cold – this is not a game without errors. Keep yours to a minimum. Study.

5. Know your own players – Who’s fast? Who can catch? Who needs encouragement? Be precise. Know your opponent.

6. Be the same guy every day – in condition. Preparing to lead. Studying your plan. A coach can’t prepare you for every eventuality. Prepare yourself and remember, impulse decisions usually equal mistakes.

7. Throwing the ball away is a good play – sacks, interceptions and fumbles are bad plays. Protect against those.

8. Learn to manage the game – personnel, play call, motions, ball handling, proper reads, accurate throws, play fakes. Clock. Clock. Clock. Don’t you ever lose track of the clock.

9. Get your team in the end zone – passing stats and TD passes are not how you’re going to be judged. Your job is to get your team in the end zone and that is how you will be judged.

10. Don’t panic – when all around you is in chaos, you must be the hand that steers the ship. If you have a panic button so will everyone else. Our ship can’t have a panic button.

11. Don’t be a celebrity QB – we don’t need any of those. We need battlefield commanders that are willing to fight it out, every day, every week and every season and lead their team to win after win after win.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO....he needs a good old tongue lashing. I have yet to see anybody on the staff get after him for a few years now. He needs a wake up call.. I don't care if has lost a little zip.. he should still be able to make the reads. With this Oline (Which will be getter better as time goes) He can just drive the bus so to speak.

It's too late for that, IMO. If you start putting restrictions on a QB and try to change the way he plays, it will just screw him up more. Look at RG3. They've tried to make him a pocket passer and it's taken away a lot of what made him a great college QB. Cleveland will probably do the same thing to Johnny.

Having said that, they can take away his ability to check out of run plays. This OL was run blocking really well and Murry if a RB than has a good chance to power though an unblocked defender on short yardage. This OL scheme and running game often cause unblocked defenders to be in the wrong spot and the wrong time. This running game can have success even when the numbers are stacked against them.

hutch1254

Reaction score
Hire Parcells just to sit on the bench next to him during games. :)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This organization, especially Romo, never recovered from Parcells' departure.

Romo, more than anyone else, needed Parcells (or someone like him to coach him). Instead, the new regime treated Romo like a co-equal (this is clearly documented on Hard Knocks '07). As a result, Romo has at various times in his career forgot the QB Commandments that he used to have taped to his locker:

Quarterback commandments:

1. Ignore other opinions – Press or TV, agents or advisors, family or wives, friends or relatives, fans or hangers on – ignore them on matters of football, they don’t know what’s happening here.

2. Clowns can’t run a huddle – don’t forget to have fun but don’t be the class clown. Clowns and leaders don’t mix. Clowns can’t run a huddle.

3. Fat QBs can’t avoid the rush – A quarterback throws with his legs more than his arm. Squat and run.

4. Know your job cold – this is not a game without errors. Keep yours to a minimum. Study.

5. Know your own players – Who’s fast? Who can catch? Who needs encouragement? Be precise. Know your opponent.

6. Be the same guy every day – in condition. Preparing to lead. Studying your plan. A coach can’t prepare you for every eventuality. Prepare yourself and remember, impulse decisions usually equal mistakes.

7. Throwing the ball away is a good play – sacks, interceptions and fumbles are bad plays. Protect against those.

8. Learn to manage the game – personnel, play call, motions, ball handling, proper reads, accurate throws, play fakes. Clock. Clock. Clock. Don’t you ever lose track of the clock.

9. Get your team in the end zone – passing stats and TD passes are not how you’re going to be judged. Your job is to get your team in the end zone and that is how you will be judged.

10. Don’t panic – when all around you is in chaos, you must be the hand that steers the ship. If you have a panic button so will everyone else. Our ship can’t have a panic button.

11. Don’t be a celebrity QB – we don’t need any of those. We need battlefield commanders that are willing to fight it out, every day, every week and every season and lead their team to win after win after win.

At some point or another, he has forgotten many of these commandments. But worse, nobody has stepped forward to remind him of them.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
We won't bench our starting QB and the team captain the 1st quarter of the 1st game. Seriously?...Looked things over again and I am ready to coment on Romos day. As many have voiced their displeasure I will tell you that Romo had a slow and rusty start...but...............he is not too far off his game and settled down on the training camp type 1st quarter he had. Overall he rated slightly subpar on his completion percentage at just over 60%. He won't be as quick as before but with the constant pressure from his backside Sunday he never got comfortable. Asking Tyron to step up his game to what he did last year (AllWorld) What I love about Romo is that despite having to dodge tacklers in the pocket as he reads the DBs and backers he generally is able to make a play. I give most of the sluggish start to #9 becoming comfortable and do think that the team feels more than ok about week 1 performance and knows what it needs to do. 16 game season. Every week is big.

Very serious. That pick was embarrassingly bad. Sit him for a few series so he can get his head on right. He was not ready for this game, it was obvious.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
At times I feel he is coddled but the one thing that he needs to be curbed on is changing the play. I have said it a hundred times he over thinks the game in situations. I am more convinced of this after Jerry said he is a perfectionist

Califan007

Reaction score
Bottom line: he needs to be held accountable for his boneheaded mistakes and his poor play.

I'm not buying that the Romo you saw against the 49ers is the Romo you'll see the rest of the season. He's still a good QB and will improve as the season goes on. He's not the same QB of the past 3-4 years but he's still good

However...considering how damn near every INT Romo threw over the last several years has been dissected to an insane degree to show how they weren't "really" Romo's fault...and how people blame the rest of the team other THAN Romo for all those "elimination game" losses, and how even the reality of elimination games gets swept under the rug as being "made up by BSPN" in order to find a reason to "unfairly" place blame on Romo...and considering how even the most mediocre of seasons that end in failure still results in Romo getting virtual pats on the back because getting TO mediocre failure "wouldn't even have been possible without Romo"...well, let's just say that IF Romo felt some sense of entitlement, I couldn't really blame him lol. And for the record, I don't believe he has that mindset at all.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
I see Parcells name mentioned many times in this thread. How about a different perspective? Maybe Parcells saw the writing on the wall with Romo and didn't want the continual headache of dealing with him. Just another angle to consider. On another note, I think if Romo puts a few games together, in the coming weeks, similar to his last effort he could lose command of the team. If that were to happen he could be all but done in Dallas with an extremely unfriendly contract. Anyway, looking forward to what the next few weeks will reveal.

Craig

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stay on topic, please. There are other threads for some if these drive by "topics" and this is a legitimate thread about managing a QB's unique personality. Thanks.

LittleD

Reaction score
Romo needs to at least be told to stop checking out of run plays in the red zone. It's Garretts job to get this done.

You're fooling yourself to think Garrett will ever confront Romo. Romo is Jerry's guy
and Jerry is going to back his 100mil investment over a lame duck coach. Romo
is going to run this team because he has the real power man behind him. Garrett is
just a "Dead Coach Walking" and he's beginning to look the part. I will be
surprised if he's not replaced before mid-season.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
This would be perhaps the first season in years where we could say this. Seems like the people "getting up in his face", were the opposing defenses. Now that he is all beat up, we finally decided to get him an offensive line. Now that we have awarded him this luxury, we can afford to not give him a defense that will require that we lean on him for 400+ yard aerial attacks. I doubt he gets the running game he desperately needs, we wont have time for running the ball when we are constantly playing catchup..

Ya, I'd say we need to get all up in his face for letting us down. Perhaps he should be all up in the face of the organization for not fielding a well-balanced team. The guy deserves more.

He's a huge part of the reason we have to play catch up in the first place.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
IMO....he needs a good old tongue lashing. I have yet to see anybody on the staff get after him for a few years now. He needs a wake up call.. I don't care if has lost a little zip.. he should still be able to make the reads. With this Oline (Which will be getter better as time goes) He can just drive the bus so to speak.

You want to send Favre-lite a message... Now, in the twilight of his career.

Too late.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
As someone said, coach and player are friends. Jerry has backed Tony also for years. When this happens, you have the keys to the organization to do what you please. He will still have good games, but his bad games will become more frequent.