Dolphins extend Tua, $212.4M

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If you listen to Jerry’s presser yesterday, he’s not sold that Dak is gone. Jerry will continue to try and get something worked out with him until it’s too late. It’s not like he has a better option to turn to.
I also heard him say there are things he wanted in life, but couldn’t afford them. And that after 80 plus years he’s learned to live with it. He knows he’s not signing Dak. I do not believe he wants to. There’s nothing wrong with that. But CeeDee and Micah. That’s a different story. Like every other team, at some point you lock down the services of the players that are producing for you. Jerry is not immune from that concept. Yet he does the opposite. He makes them beg and scratch like dogs for appropriate compensation while their counterparts on other teams get paid.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I also heard him say there are things he wanted in life, but couldn’t afford them. And that after 80 plus years he’s learned to live with it. He knows he’s not signing Dak. I do not believe he wants to. There’s nothing wrong with that. But CeeDee and Micah. That’s a different story. Like every other team, at some point you lock down the services of the players that are producing for you. Jerry is not immune from that concept. Yet he does the opposite. He makes them beg and scratch like dogs for appropriate compensation while their counterparts on other teams get paid.
He’s just preparing everyone that there’s no guarantees he can get Dak signed. If he thought he was already gone, he wouldn’t have said he doesn’t believe this will be Dak’s last season with the Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak signed for 4/$160 mil in 2020, would be 4/$195-$200 mil with inflation now. So not a huge difference really. Similar contract.
Considering the Cap goes up about 10% each year: This is a more accurate accrual.

2020- 40 mil
2021- 44 mil
2022- 48.4 mil
2023- 53.2 mil
2024- 58.5 mil
2025- 63.4 mil

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
He’s just preparing everyone that there’s no guarantees he can get Dak signed. If he thought he was already gone, he wouldn’t have said he doesn’t believe this will be Dak’s last season with the Cowboys.
He has a good idea what Dak will get as a free agent next March. If he wanted Dak he’d simply offer that much and secure his services. Dak’s talking in terms of playing elsewhere. The team’s best receiver has not shown up to camp yet. He has a highly regarded edge rusher he could sign to an extension now. He doesn’t. He has to know whatever he could sign Micah for now is less than it will cost him in the future. He shows no sense of urgency to get anything done. The other 31 NFL franchise are not emulating his approach. He can’t bring himself to emulate others. His approach is newsworthy, not noteworthy.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d agree we are more hopeless than most want to admit because of our owner. And perhaps it is his way of showing he’s dissatisfied with their performance.

Unfortunately he doesn’t have any choice if he wants to remain relative . Otherwise he’ll have to begin looking for his next Franchise QB which can at least make us a playoff team.

He lucked out last time with Prescott when Romo went down. It’s not likely he gets that lucky again. We could go years .
Jerry has lost his marbles and and appears to be going down the road to dementia. I heard a recent presser and something is off. He's talking about his own experience playing QB in middle school and rambling on about the decisions he had to make with the football comparing himself to Mahomes. It was bizarre even for jerry. I'm pretty certain he is fed up with todays NFL players and is not going to be bullied into contracts anymore. I think the last playoff loss impacted him more than normal and its being compounded by his deteriorating mental condition.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak signed a short 3 year deal last time. I see an even shorter deal this time. I think a 2 year deal thru 2026 makes sense. Good for both sides. Something north of 65 mil per.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He has a good idea what Dak will get as a free agent next March. If he wanted Dak he’d simply offer that much and secure his services. Dak’s talking in terms of playing elsewhere. The team’s best receiver has not shown up to camp yet. He has a highly regarded edge rusher he could sign to an extension now. He doesn’t. He has to know whatever he could sign Micah for now is less than it will cost him in the future. He shows no sense of urgency to get anything done. The other 31 NFL franchise are not emulating his approach. He can’t bring himself to emulate others. His approach is newsworthy, not noteworthy.
He’s not going to pay what he can get in free agency. Not with him having to pay CeeDee now and Parsons next season. It wouldn’t make any sense to sign Parsons now when he still has him for this season. He could end up suffering a serious injury.

Nav22

Reaction score
I do and yet I still want them to move on. What good is it to exit the playoffs early every year?
You'd prefer to not even have a crack at the playoffs?
:laugh:

Why not at least wait until we have a viable replacement?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Well, that's $53 mil for a QB who's yet to win a playoff game.
Yep......................Herbert and Tua both making over $50 million a season and neither one has ever won a single playoff game.

I think the idea that you have to have some level of playoff success to justify a market-setting contract has clearly been debunked now.

Herbert..............no playoff wins
Tua....................no playoff wins
Love..................1 single playoff win
Lawrence...........1 single playoff win

All 4 of these dudes make over $50 million a season and have a combined playoff win total between all of them of exactly 2 wins.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Good point...............honestly, if we are going to let Dak walk and just trot out some reject from SF as the replacement (reports from DC media from day 1 of practice was this dude could not even throw the ball more than 5 yds down field).

We really dont need a $35 million a year WR if you got nothing at QB.

My .02

stiletto

Reaction score
Good point...............honestly, if we are going to let Dak walk and just trot out some reject from SF as the replacement (reports from DC media from day 1 of practice was this dude could not even throw the ball more than 5 yds down field).

We really dont need a $35 million a year WR if you got nothing at QB.

My .02
Way to give up. Lamb is a great player and would certainly help any new QB. Lance IMO is like a look-see guy. They are looking at other options too I bet. Someone like Geno that the new HC might like and is trying to make another go at it or they are eyeing a couple guys in the draft.

Replacing Dak, making the playoffs and losing which is pretty much guaranteed WITH Dak can also happen with a much cheaper QB and some other upgraded players. Who knows maybe they will surprise us and go farther without the guy guaranteed to pee down his leg when the bright lights turn on. Maybe Zimmer's D will actually be disciplined and solid. Who knows but what we've done with Dak even at 3 12-5 seasons is becoming insanity. The ceiling has been hit and we aren't breaking through it. End of story. The team with the current QB as constructed is toast.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Way to give up. Lamb is a great player and would certainly help any new QB. Lance IMO is like a look-see guy. They are looking at other options too I bet. Someone like Geno that the new HC might like and is trying to make another go at it or they are eyeing a couple guys in the draft.

Replacing Dak, making the playoffs and losing which is pretty much guaranteed WITH Dak can also happen with a much cheaper QB and some other upgraded players. Who knows maybe they will surprise us and go farther without the guy guaranteed to pee down his leg when the bright lights turn on. Maybe Zimmer's D will actually be disciplined and solid. Who knows but what we've done with Dak even at 3 12-5 seasons is becoming insanity. The ceiling has been hit and we aren't breaking through it. End of story. The team with the current QB as constructed is toast.
Its not giving up, its being strategic...............you can trade Lamb and get the draft ammo you need to move up and draft a blue chipper QB, because if Lance was all that Shanny would not have given him away for a day 3 pick and a bag of Doritos.

You want a CJ Stroud type QB, you need a very, very high draft pick and you are only going to get that by either being the worst team in the NFL or being able to trade up, ergo the draft ammo I mentioned by trading Lamb.

stiletto

Reaction score
Its not giving up, its being strategic...............you can trade Lamb and get the draft ammo you need to move up and draft a blue chipper QB, because if Lance was all that Shanny would not have given him away for a day 3 pick and a bag of Doritos.

You want a CJ Stroud type QB, you need a very, very high draft pick and you are only going to get that by either being the worst team in the NFL or being able to trade up, ergo the draft ammo I mentioned by trading Lamb.
True, I also think they saw Geno come in with the Seahawks emaking what ? 20 million $$, I don't know off the top of my head. He almost beat them at home last season. Jerry and Nepo were probably salivating over that type situation.

Lower price QB that could do almost what Dak was doing, getting paid 1/2 the price. That's a huge cost savings and you know they are cheap as hell. They probably desperately want that situation. Maybe Not Geno but someone that could get them there. Tannehill or someone like that...reclamation project.