Dolphins extend Tua, $212.4M

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our window was open in Daks rookie contract. It’s been pretty much closed since . If these idiots couldn’t build around him then they aren’t likely to now.

So , it’s all about remaining “ relative and interesting” at this point. We’d rather just be a consistent playoff contender than a serious SB contender. It certainly pays the bills.

How do you build around 3 players making up about 50% of Cap when they weren’t enough before? That sounds like a good thread title.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Our window was open in Daks rookie contract. It’s been pretty much closed since . If these idiots couldn’t build around him then they aren’t likely to now.

So , it’s all about remaining “ relative and interesting” at this point. We’d rather just be a consistent playoff contender than a serious SB contender. It certainly pays the bills.

How do you build around 3 players making up about 50% of Cap when they weren’t enough before? That sounds like a good thread title.
They don't need to find somebody that is better than Dak. They just need to find someone that will play better than Dak come playoff time. That shouldn't be that hard to do since he has been so awful in the playoffs.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They don't need to find somebody that is better than Dak. They just need to find someone that will play better than Dak come playoff time. That shouldn't be that hard to do since he has been so awful in the playoffs.
You have to GET TO PLAYOFF first........so you are saying that's a piece a cake?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right. But he does have to be good enough for us to make the playoffs. And preferably win division , at least occasionally.

Dak isn’t only Franchise QB who has struggled with more playoff success.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

once you realize there was no window, then you will understand.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
once you realize there was no window, then you will understand.
Well, I’m not a “never “ type fan. I wish I had a crystal ball and I’d be very wealthy at the Sports Book .

But any team with a QB on a Rookie contract who is enough to make the playoffs would qualify as a window open. There’s been several QB’s not as good or even on similar ground who were carried by a better team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well, I’m not a “never “ type fan. I wish I had a crystal ball and I’d be very wealthy at the Sports Book .

But any team with a QB on a Rookie contract who is enough to make the playoffs would qualify as a window open. There’s been several QB’s not as good or even on similar ground who were carried by a better team.
my point was in regards to cowboys...realize that there is no window with the cowboys...its all in the "matrix". its not real. its fake. Jerry creates these fake windows. there hasn't been a window in 28 years. there will be no window for the next x years while jerry is in charge.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
You'd prefer to not even have a crack at the playoffs?
:laugh:

Why not at least wait until we have a viable replacement?
Actually, yes. Making the playoffs and exiting early year after year hurts your team overall. You're accomplishing nothing and then picking later in the draft meaning you're missing out on the players going high.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yep......................Herbert and Tua both making over $50 million a season and neither one has ever won a single playoff game.

I think the idea that you have to have some level of playoff success to justify a market-setting contract has clearly been debunked now.

Herbert..............no playoff wins
Tua....................no playoff wins
Love..................1 single playoff win
Lawrence...........1 single playoff win

All 4 of these dudes make over $50 million a season and have a combined playoff win total between all of them of exactly 2 wins.
Well, and it also means that QBs like the one we have are likely going to be making well over $60mil.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Yep......................Herbert and Tua both making over $50 million a season and neither one has ever won a single playoff game.

I think the idea that you have to have some level of playoff success to justify a market-setting contract has clearly been debunked now.

Herbert..............no playoff wins
Tua....................no playoff wins
Love..................1 single playoff win
Lawrence...........1 single playoff win

All 4 of these dudes make over $50 million a season and have a combined playoff win total between all of them of exactly 2 wins.
They are getting paid for potential. I would be all in on Dak getting paid except his ability to play QB drops 3 notches against any decent teams. I've never seen a QB go from being a top 10 QB to looking like he is bottom 5 in the league. That's why Jerry is not going to pay him.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Jerry screwed up from the beginning with Dak. He didn't try to lock up sooner anytime he was eligible, always made him wait, more leaves and all that nonsense. Jerry would eventually sign him costing the team more money and ability to spread the costs than just taking care of it sooner and giving Dak some security sooner. Dak might have been more willing to take more team friendly deals if Jerry showed some of that sooner in Dak's career. From a player's perspective, the GM says it's just business but then wants a deal, think about the team and all that. Can't have it both ways, make guys wait and prove themselves and also expect a deal.

You build around the core players by locking them up sooner, ends up costing less and able to spread the cost more effectively, but in Jerry's case, it probably doesn't really matter because he's never been a player in FA even when did have the means.

Nav22

Reaction score
Actually, yes. Making the playoffs and exiting early year after year hurts your team overall. You're accomplishing nothing and then picking later in the draft meaning you're missing out on the players going high.
Right, because the bottom-feeders with good draft picks are easily better off!

Just like the Giants, right!?! They've had 5 top-6 picks in the last 7 years! Talk about being ready to dominate the league!!!
:lmao2:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
This is the kind of contract that kills a team.

To steal a phrase from Daniel Jeremiah, there are tractor QBs and there are trailer QBs. Tractor QBs carry the team behind them. Trailer QBs get carried by their team.

Jordan Love and Trevor Lawrence have both shown major tractor-QB potential. They aren't there yet, but they have the necessary physical talent and they've put together some amazing stretches of play.

Guys like Jared Goff and Tua are trailers. You give them a fantastic OC, a great offensive line, a bunch of good receivers, etc, and they'll look good. But they play to the sum of the parts around them.... and when they take up $60M of the cap, it's hard to get parts around them.

You can still win with a trailer QB, but I am convinced that it needs to be at the right price.

Dak's a trailer QB asking for tractor money. Every QB is asking for tractor money these days, but you don't pay them that.