Don’t jump off , Cowboys could easily start 0-2

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agree, unlikely but not a reach at all. I certainly see us winning at one of the first two. More so the Bucs than the Bengals.
If we beat the books, the motivation should follow through the next week. 2,0Cowboys. I can’t wait for Saturday night preseason

JonesBoys

Reaction score
I’m not sure I agree. Can’t put too much emphasis on 0-2 based on your opponents . Much like 4-4 at the bye shouldn’t prevent us from still winning 10 maybe 11 games which is where I see us this year based on schedule .

If you examine our schedule closely 2-4 is very possible too then ending up at 4-4 at the bye .

2nd half of season much easier. Only Packers and Titans look like games we shouldn’t expect to win.

I’m just expecting less from this team this year so I don’t count any opponent as a win for them. They go 0-2 yea it’s not the end of the world but it makes their margin of error slimmer for a team that is questionable this year. We shall see but I have lower expectations for this team.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I think the Bengals game is very winnable. I’m sorry, but that’s one of the worst sb teams in recent history. That shouldn’t be some crazy ask to beat the Bengals.

The Bucs on the other hand is a Loss. I don’t bet against Brady, especially against Dallas. He’s 6-0 and correct me if I’m wrong, but I can’t remember him ever having a bad game against Dallas.

basel90

Reaction score
is there any chance MM survives if the cowboys make the playoffs and lose the first game ? or will quinn be inserted after the season?
Not going to ask what happens if the cowboys miss the playoffs. MM would have wasted 3 years + with this organization with his meandering and mistakes. Heck the USA today just ranked him #22 among coaches in the NFL. Behind the Phily and Jets coaches !!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
is there any chance MM survives if the cowboys make the playoffs and lose the first game ? or will quinn be inserted after the season?
Not going to ask what happens if the cowboys miss the playoffs. MM would have wasted 3 years + with this organization with his meandering and mistakes. Heck the USA today just ranked him #22 among coaches in the NFL. Behind the Phily and Jets coaches !!
I don't think MM has a chance unless we make a deep run.

Whether they go after Peyton or not, everything that happens will have a "What would Peyton have done?" attached to it.

basel90

Reaction score

Whether they go after Peyton or not, everything that happens will have a "What would Peyton have done?" attached to it.
you don't think jerry will jump to Quinn first ? I have a feeling that will be his first option . I also have a feeling jerry does not want payton as he fears payton will demand more control and more money $$

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
you don't think jerry will jump to Quinn first ? I have a feeling that will be his first option . I also have a feeling jerry does not want payton as he fears payton will demand more control and more money $$
Maybe Quinn for sure.

I just the media will keep McCarthy on the hot seat all season with the Peyton talk. It'll keep the attention on every bad decision he makes.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Payton shouldn't be the HC if Mike doesn't stay. To me, Quinn is the one that should be given the reins. Mike had a more arrogant and harder to coach QB than Payton did. The only reason Quinn gets overlooked is because he got incredibly unlucky with Shanahan's collapse job as an OC. I do hope, if Quinn is the HC, that he chooses whomever he wishes for OC. Frankly, I think Moore needs to coach in college.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Payton shouldn't be the HC if Mike doesn't stay. To me, Quinn is the one that should be given the reins. Mike had a more arrogant and harder to coach QB than Payton did. The only reason Quinn gets overlooked is because he got incredibly unlucky with Shanahan's collapse job as an OC. I do hope, if Quinn is the HC, that he chooses whomever he wishes for OC. Frankly, I think Moore needs to coach in college.
That's fine, but the media will and already have taken the Peyton story and ran with it.

The less success we have the more "Peyton to Dallas" talk there will be even if Peyton isn't the guy.

Either way, McCarthy will be on the medias hot seat regardless.

Motorola

Reaction score
With our brutal beginning with Bucs and Bengals at home it’s very likely we could start 0-2. Which shouldn’t be alarming . I’d be very surprised to win either of these games.

The good news is we have NY and Wash following . And then Rams and at Philly. But then it gets much easier after that with Lions and Bears.

5-3 or worse case scenario 4-4 at the bye puts us in good shape down the stretch to contend for division and playoffs.

9 or 10 wins still keeps us in contention for division and playoffs which for basically a retooling season about all we can hope for. And we’ll need to stay relatively healthy . If we over achieve it could be better but we’ll have to upset some teams we won’t be favored to win. I think 10-7 is a good goal.
Some other 2021 playoff teams don't have an easy start either:
Bills___@ Rams, Titans
Cardinals___ KC, @ Raiders
Raiders___ @ Chargers, Cardinals
Buccaneers___ @ Cowboys, @ Saints
Chiefs___ @ Cardinals, Chargers
Chargers___ Raiders, @ Chiefs (Thu nite)
Bengals___ Steelers, @ Cowboys
Could see all of those teams start out 1-1...some 0-2.

On the other hand - Philadelphia and Green Bay could start 2-0;
Eagles___ @ Lions, Vikings
Packers___ @ Vikings, Bears

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That's fine, but the media will and already have taken the Peyton story and ran with it.

The less success we have the more "Peyton to Dallas" talk there will be even if Peyton isn't the guy.

Either way, McCarthy will be on the medias hot seat regardless.

Oh, I agree, and I think it's ridiculous. It takes some time for a coach's philosophy to be instilled into a team. Jimmy's first 2 seasons had bad records, but I think people could see the development. In his 3rd season, I think people (before my time, but, based on what I've read here) saw something brewing when we beat the Bears but lost to the Lions. Mike's first season was a catastrophe, but so was the year 2020. I think a lot of people wish the calendar had skipped 2020 and went into 2021. Then last year, we had a great season. Didn't end like we wanted, but it was a great season overall, including beating Belichick, which we never had done when he was a HC. I think that Mike is developing the team nicely, and trying to run him out is unfair to him and is why we struggle to find top coaches. Our fan base is incredibly impatient. The reason I've been supporting Mike on here is because he's got 10+ years of Garrett's mess to clean up. He's having to instill a completely different mindset to what we had with Garrett. With Garrett, we probably lose at least 3-5 of the games we won last year. With Mike, we played aggressively enough to win those games.

The Vikings game is a game we'd never have won under Garrett. We had a backup QB playing. Jerry would've just chalked that up to a bad luck game, and rubber stamped Garrett for another year if we lost that under Garrett. Yet, with Mike, we win that game. The Pats game would've likely been a humiliation under Garrett, yet, won that. The Washington game in Washington, we folded a bit down the stretch, but we won. With Garrett, that's probably a loss. The Saints game would've been a loss. Granted, we had Quinn as the fill-in, but the circumstances would've been a blowout loss if we had Garrett. The Chargers game is another one that, under Garrett, we'd have lost. Let's assume we lost 4 of those games with Garrett, we'd have been sitting at our usual 8-9 record. The Eagles we're 9-8. We'd have missed the playoffs entirely with Garrett if the results held.

I'm excited to see what Mike does this year, but it's not right that, as a fan base, we have been this unfair to him when he's had Garrett's issues to clean.

Mannix

Reaction score
We are healthy....if we start out 0-2 and our passing game is pathetic, this lands SQUARELY at the feet of Booger and Chuckles for doing nothing in FA.

basel90

Reaction score
Maybe Quinn for sure.

I just the media will keep McCarthy on the hot seat all season with the Peyton talk. It'll keep the attention on every bad decision he makes.
for sure . it will be funny to see how jerry answers the payton vs quinn speculation. The company line will be that the team loves Quinn etc . The fans may want a potential difference maker like payton .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
for sure . it will be funny to see how jerry answers the payton vs quinn speculation. The company line will be that the team loves Quinn etc . The fans may want a potential difference maker like payton .
Payton won’t come here unless no one else comes calling. And Quinn is more likely to be looking elsewhere himself. Proven HC’s don’t come here unless the phone isn’t ringing. That’s the only way they’d succumb to being a Puppet under Jethro dysfunctional mingling and undermining.

basel90

Reaction score
Oh, I agree, and I think it's ridiculous. It takes some time for a coach's philosophy to be instilled into a team. Jimmy's first 2 seasons had bad records, but I think people could see the development. In his 3rd season, I think people (before my time, but, based on what I've read here) saw something brewing when we beat the Bears but lost to the Lions. Mike's first season was a catastrophe, but so was the year 2020. I think a lot of people wish the calendar had skipped 2020 and went into 2021. Then last year, we had a great season. Didn't end like we wanted, but it was a great season overall, including beating Belichick, which we never had done when he was a HC. I think that Mike is developing the team nicely, and trying to run him out is unfair to him and is why we struggle to find top coaches. Our fan base is incredibly impatient. The reason I've been supporting Mike on here is because he's got 10+ years of Garrett's mess to clean up. He's having to instill a completely different mindset to what we had with Garrett. With Garrett, we probably lose at least 3-5 of the games we won last year. With Mike, we played aggressively enough to win those games.

The Vikings game is a game we'd never have won under Garrett. We had a backup QB playing. Jerry would've just chalked that up to a bad luck game, and rubber stamped Garrett for another year if we lost that under Garrett. Yet, with Mike, we win that game. The Pats game would've likely been a humiliation under Garrett, yet, won that. The Washington game in Washington, we folded a bit down the stretch, but we won. With Garrett, that's probably a loss. The Saints game would've been a loss. Granted, we had Quinn as the fill-in, but the circumstances would've been a blowout loss if we had Garrett. The Chargers game is another one that, under Garrett, we'd have lost. Let's assume we lost 4 of those games with Garrett, we'd have been sitting at our usual 8-9 record. The Eagles we're 9-8. We'd have missed the playoffs entirely with Garrett if the results held.

I'm excited to see what Mike does this year, but it's not right that, as a fan base, we have been this unfair to him when he's had Garrett's issues to clean.
Good points but fixing 10 years of Garrett by bundling the defensive hire in his first year , and ending the season 6-10 , and having in game and clock management issues , all give the impression he is not the right coach . Not to mention the players lining behind Quinn . All these are signs of a head coach getting fired soon ,
Not sure if MM had other good options before signing with Jerry .

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good points but fixing 10 years of Garrett by bundling the defensive hire in his first year , and ending the season 6-10 , and having in game and clock management issues , all give the impression he is not the right coach . Not to mention the players lining behind Quinn . All these are signs of a head coach getting fired soon ,
Not sure if MM had other good options before signing with Jerry .

Rightz and, if he does, then Quinn should be the coach. I'm just saying, rn, we should be patient with Mike.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Frankly to be honest i'd rather see this team start 0-2 and go into foxhole mode than start 2-0 and have to deal with the media storm that would bring. This group has shown it can recover from a slow start and put together a solid season. It has not shown it can handle suddenly being a Super Bowl favorite.