Don’t panic. Drink some Coffee; Skip the Koolaide

Ren

Reaction score
Last 2 really great seasons we had we looked like absolute trash week 1. Hard to judge anything in week 1, specially this year

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I’m not surprised at the overreaction of so many fans after last night’s game. Before the season started, the overconfidence here was laughable. It’s not time to panic or act like one game defines this team for 15 more games. That too is laughable. Sure, it was a disappointing start, but it is certainly NOT fatal.

What I encourage every Cowboys fan to do this morning is drink some coffee and skip the Koolaide. It will make you feel better to stop drinking the Koolaide that overlooks this team’s weaknesses. Drinking the coffee takes in both the team’s strengths and weaknesses.

Here’s some coffee which looks at the good and bad:
  • This team lost last night because their defense gave up 422 yards, including 163 on the ground to an average running game. That has to improve.
  • The defense had a problem stopping the run last night, but there are signs its pass rush will be potent. Aldon Smith and Everson Griffith really do look like great additions.
  • The offense is always harder to to be in sync to start the season. It looked good at times, and out of sync at times.
  • Dak Prescott had a very good game; just didn’t have a great game. As bad as the D played, if that ticky- tac PI call wasn’t made, we would be talking about the great pass Dak made to Gallup.
  • The OL was missing two key starters, used a UFA rookie tackle, who wasn’t great but wasn’t awful either. Under Garrett, missing a starter on the OL seemed to always endanger our QB.
  • Injuries to LVE, Blake Jarwin and Cam Ervin are troublesome. But this is where coaching and the FO matters. Coach up what you have, and hope the FO finds some help.
  • This was ONE GAME. Don’t panic. The rams aren’t chopped liver. They have an excellent HC and were playing at home on national TV opening their new stadium. Why is anyone surprised they played well?
This list could go on. But one other thing to remember: Don’t drink the Koolaide. The Cowboys have a lot of question marks to solve. Doesn’t mean they won’t. Just stay hopeful and realistic.

There’s a difference between hope and overconfidence. Hope is a good thing because it keeps you positive but still tied to reality. Overconfidence is fools gold. It over-values strengths and overlooks weaknesses. Like all NFL teams we have both.

Folks- I have news for all of us. Every single game on our schedule will be difficult. Drink some coffee and fasten your seatbelt.

Thanks. We can always count on you to keep things in perspective. It's just one game. There's a lot of football left to play.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greg, this is same song, different verse. This was your complaint on the old forum and the reason you preferred this one and now it's all happening again.

You have openly expressed your love of confrontation and spirited debate and willingness to not only stand your ground but fight for more and it is funny to think on a football forum you're not going to get some heat. This ain't the Harvard Debate class and arrogance don't fly here and you will get reaction, not just response.

And you have admitted to liking to stir the pot. Some of that is going to splash out on you.
I do like stirring the pot and I do embrace the spirit of debate . And I’m very confrontational. All of this is correct. It’s just not necessary for personal insults and attacks which has created this monster some think I have become. That’s not who I want to be here. That’s what the personal attacks and relentless pursuit to take that on has created.

In other social media outlets which are not anonymous it takes on a much different front. Because we aren’t all on the same level. Who we are and where we’ve been does matter. If Galloway and Hansen or a former player were on this forum and we knew it was them I don’t think fans would attack them personally in such manner.

The only reason I begun in this type setting is Jerry owned the site. The opposition I received developed it into a much bigger animal that I didn’t anticipate but my driving personality wouldn’t allow me to retreat. The rest is history.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t read more into my comments than said. I’ve seen nothing but excuses for our coaching on this thread and others.

All of my friends and family last night were saying the same thing our local papers and beat writers are saying today. And that’s what I’m echoing.

Horrible decision on 4th and 3. Moore is way over rated as OC and injuries. Not much about how great the Rams are.
Again, the Rams are great but they were 3 points better than the Cowboys, that's the point, they played better and had a better game plan.

I am not making excuses for any of the coaches but I am also not overvaluing the talent on this Cowboys team like many have been. This OL is a shadow of what it used to be and they need to start another rebuild, hopefully this kid from WIS can play C because Looney is just adequte.

And I call out coaching decisions just like I did Garrett in ATL, Parcells in SEA and last night that was a poor call but I understand his thinking behind it. Players like for their coaches to put it all on them, show some faith but a 4th and 3 in that part of the field was a long way to go when only behind by 3. Even if they'd made it, I still would not have agreed with that call.

cern

Reaction score
Not at all. My attacks on the Jones family is to plant the seeds for more to follow. Much like the critics I follow in the Dallas media.

And again, I shouldn’t receive anything in return but a good rebuttal and or argument without personal attacks and insults. Read the rules.

I’m not looking to incite . I’d be ok if no one ever responded. I’m just using this site as a platform to present my voice and opinions.
I'd say your legions consist of one. Yourself. Spare us your self righteous indignation.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
I’m not surprised at the overreaction of so many fans after last night’s game. Before the season started, the overconfidence here was laughable. It’s not time to panic or act like one game defines this team for 15 more games. That too is laughable. Sure, it was a disappointing start, but it is certainly NOT fatal.

What I encourage every Cowboys fan to do this morning is drink some coffee and skip the Koolaide. It will make you feel better to stop drinking the Koolaide that overlooks this team’s weaknesses. Drinking the coffee takes in both the team’s strengths and weaknesses.

• This team lost last night because their defense gave up 422 yards, including 163 on the ground to an average running game. That has to improve.
  • The defense had a problem stopping the run last night, but there are signs its pass rush will be potent. Aldon Smith and Everson Griffith really do look like great additions.
  • The offense is always harder to to be in sync to start the season. It looked good at times, and out of sync at times.
  • Dak Prescott had a very good game; just didn’t have a great game. As bad as the D played, if that ticky- tac PI call wasn’t made, we would be talking about the great pass Dak made to Gallup.
  • The OL was missing two key starters, used a UFA rookie tackle, who wasn’t great but wasn’t awful either. Under Garrett, missing a starter on the OL seemed to always endanger our QB.
  • Injuries to LVE, Blake Jarwin and Cam Ervin are troublesome. But this is where coaching and the FO matters. Coach up what you have, and hope the FO finds some help.
  • This was ONE GAME. Don’t panic. The rams aren’t chopped liver. They have an excellent HC and were playing at home on national TV opening their new stadium. Why is anyone surprised they played well?
This list could go on. But one other thing to remember: Don’t drink the Koolaide. The Cowboys have a lot of question marks to solve. Doesn’t mean they won’t. Just stay hopeful and realistic.

There’s a difference between hope and overconfidence. Hope is a good thing because it keeps you positive but still tied to reality. Overconfidence is fools gold. It over-values strengths and overlooks weaknesses. Like all NFL teams we have both.

Folks- I have news for all of us. Every single game on our schedule will be difficult. Drink some coffee and fasten your seatbelt.

I spit up my coffee when you said Dak had a great game .

No tochdown passes . Didnt hit any receiver over 20+ yards .

Panicked and couldnt even get a FD over the last 2 drives .

Deer in headlight look in his eyes !

If thats great, id hate to see average or bad ?

SMFH

ESisback

Reaction score
well said, bob. wr's played well. dak played well. zeke and pollard played well. injuries suck. LVE is reminding me of young sean lee. fragile. but i'm enjoying a cup of coffee as i write. peets. major dickinson blend. if it's any solace, just think about how bad philly looked.
It is, but watch, they’ll bounce back against their next opponent, which is....the LA Rams!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I spit up my coffee when you said Dak had a great game .

No tochdown passes . Didnt hit any receiver over 20+ yards .

Panicked and couldnt even get a FD over the last 2 drives .

Deer in headlight look in his eyes !

If thats great, id hate to see average or bad ?

SMFH
Did you decide not to count his TD pass to Zeke? Look Dak wasn’t his best but if PI call doesn’t happen, the buzz would be all about his great pass to Gallup in the last 30 seconds. If you don’t like Dak, that’s fine. But he did throw a TD last night. And he had a 33 yard completion if you want to get exact. Your facts aren’t straight.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd say your legions consist of one. Yourself. Spare us your self righteous indignation.
You should pick up a paper or tune in to local radio and TV sometimes as there’s millions more who bash the most hated sports personality in Dallas.

You simply don’t agree with it. And that’s fine. There are some who support Jethro and the Jones family.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Again, the Rams are great but they were 3 points better than the Cowboys, that's the point, they played better and had a better game plan.

I am not making excuses for any of the coaches but I am also not overvaluing the talent on this Cowboys team like many have been. This OL is a shadow of what it used to be and they need to start another rebuild, hopefully this kid from WIS can play C because Looney is just adequte.

And I call out coaching decisions just like I did Garrett in ATL, Parcells in SEA and last night that was a poor call but I understand his thinking behind it. Players like for their coaches to put it all on them, show some faith but a 4th and 3 in that part of the field was a long way to go when only behind by 3. Even if they'd made it, I still would not have agreed with that call.
That’s fair. You have been critical of our talent , etc.

But this team has been considered ready to contend now despite whether we agree with that or not.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score

Yes, disappointed in the offense and defense, special teams was better but those short punts by Jones...eek.

Time will tell what this team will be but LB, TE and OL are a concern.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I agree with the general sentiment that it’s too early to panic. Let’s see where we’re at after 6-8 games.

cern

Reaction score
I do like stirring the pot and I do embrace the spirit of debate . And I’m very confrontational. All of this is correct. It’s just not necessary for personal insults and attacks which has created this monster some think I have become. That’s not who I want to be here. That’s what the personal attacks and relentless pursuit to take that on has created.

In other social media outlets which are not anonymous it takes on a much different front. Because we aren’t all on the same level. Who we are and where we’ve been does matter. If Galloway and Hansen or a former player were on this forum and we knew it was them I don’t think fans would attack them personally in such manner.

The only reason I begun in this type setting is Jerry owned the site. The opposition I received developed it into a much bigger animal that I didn’t anticipate but my driving personality wouldn’t allow me to retreat. The rest is history.
Thank you for the inspiration.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably TBD on whether that running game is average. Hopefully it isn't and the problems aren't as severe.

Define, "potent." I get that you're looking for a positive but let's not put on our Jerry blinders. Pretty sure Griffen had more penalties than tackles.

By the same token, the Rams killed their own drives, too. That dropped screen pass on their second drive could have easily changed the game from 10-0 to 14-0. Also have a hard time praising Dak for 3 second half points.

How much of a factor was Steele? Donald did most of the disruption and Steele wasn't on him.

Thing is the Rams didn't play that great either. They left plenty of plays on the field.

My concerns going forward are mainly with the defense. The front 7 looked a little lost at times with their run fills. Linebackers were over pursuing. I kept an eye on Lawrence in his new stand up role and he appeared hesitant in his rush. I think the adjustment to a read and react role could hurt him. I also think the secondary will be a problem if they think they're going to man press all game.
Good post. Good to see your profile around again H. Don’t be a stranger.

kskboys

Reaction score
But they didn’t. 20 points should have been overcome.

K- I do agree if they’d put up 38.

And our defense made some stops in 4th qtr which gave us ample opportunities.
Absolutely. However, that doesn't change the fact that our D sucked.

kskboys

Reaction score
We averaged about 35 points a game in all 8 of our wins last year and 17 points in all of our losses.

We are Cap heavy on offense with most of our stars.

This team is touted as offensive heavy. It has to carry the team. 17 points isn’t going to get it done.

And for an average to below average defense , 20 points should get it done.
18-5 TOP margin is also not going to get it done.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
My problem is we played and lost in similar fashion to the last regime.

Outcoached and 2 steps behind the other team.

We can't even display our talent because the other coach has a scheme so good that it has us spinning trying to figure out what's going on.

This reminds me of diehard's thread about drinking cool aid. The one that points to how it doesn't matter who the coaches or players are, things tend to stay the same under Jerry, who is the real problem.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
18-5 TOP margin is also not going to get it done.
I get your defensive argument . And agree to a point. But we had ample opportunities in 4th qtr offensively to get it done.

Yes, our defense still will be an issue for us. But we are built to dominate offensively. I’m not saying I agree with how we’ve been built but that’s our reality.

This was a game given we luckily only gave up 20 points should have been enough for our offense to pull it out. This team isn’t built to win games with our offense only scoring 17 points K.

Last edited: