Don’t panic. Drink some Coffee; Skip the Koolaide

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Every time we start to dissect coaching and play calling, might we bring execution into it? What play is it in the book where the DT gets to maul two of our blockers and hit the QB? And which one is it that the WR runs short of the sticks on a 4th down? We need to re-evaluate those two plays and toss them outta da book.

What often looks like a bad play called is poor execution and at the end of the game, the QB was having his share because like most QB's, put a lot of pressure on him and he's not as sharp. When a team's OL is getting their butt kicked, I don't know a lot of plays to overcome that.

As far as coaching is concerned, I think they took the Rams lightly as evidenced by that 4th and 3 go for it. The Cowboys got outcoached, but not by a large margin, and the players got outplayed by a larger one.

As far as play calling, do you think that was affected by the TE and backup RT being out and Donald going Tasmanian Devil on the OL? Think the MLB going out early might have affected how Nolan called his side of it. I do not know how Nolan's D works but on a lot of them that MLB is the fulcrum of the D. Already got one LB out and then loses the best one when healthy? How many coaches can overcome that in an evenly matched game?
What a tough game for our coaching staff. No way to overcome against the awesome Rams.

I need to get my boots on to wade thru all of this.
Wow

Haimerej

Reaction score
What a tough game for our coaching staff. No way to overcome against the awesome Rams.

Wow

Apparently, "legit," head coaches take opponents lightly and can't overcome a DT causing disruption when they have a rookie playing who never has to block him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob, it’s the personal insults and attacks I take issue with. Otherwise I embrace the arguments and difference of opinion.

But there are some who get frustrated and begin insulting. Or just take personal issue with my arrogance and approach.
Greg, this is same song, different verse. This was your complaint on the old forum and the reason you preferred this one and now it's all happening again.

You have openly expressed your love of confrontation and spirited debate and willingness to not only stand your ground but fight for more and it is funny to think on a football forum you're not going to get some heat. This ain't the Harvard Debate class and arrogance don't fly here and you will get reaction, not just response.

And you have admitted to liking to stir the pot. Some of that is going to splash out on you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Apparently, "legit," head coaches take opponents lightly and can't overcome a DT causing disruption when they have a rookie playing who never has to block him.
Yea, legit HC’s also believe more in their talent allowing them to fail on 4th and 3.

Mikey didn’t look like he was doing much of anything last night. I’m not sure he was even a walk around HC.

He looked very confined under his mask. At least he didn’t ever take it off like so many are. For that I will applaud. His best move all night.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Yea, legit HC’s also believe more in their talent allowing them to fail on 4th and 3.

Mikey didn’t look like he was doing much of anything last night. I’m not sure he was even a walk around HC.

He looked very confined under his mask. At least he didn’t ever take it off like so many are. For that I will applaud. His best move all night.

Thought that was a feedbag. Need him focused and not thinking about what's for dinner.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I’m not surprised at the overreaction of so many fans after last night’s game. Before the season started, the overconfidence here was laughable. It’s not time to panic or act like one game defines this team for 15 more games. That too is laughable. Sure, it was a disappointing start, but it is certainly NOT fatal.

What I encourage every Cowboys fan to do this morning is drink some coffee and skip the Koolaide. It will make you feel better to stop drinking the Koolaide that overlooks this team’s weaknesses. Drinking the coffee takes in both the team’s strengths and weaknesses.

Here’s some coffee which looks at the good and bad:
  • This team lost last night because their defense gave up 422 yards, including 163 on the ground to an average running game. That has to improve.
  • The defense had a problem stopping the run last night, but there are signs its pass rush will be potent. Aldon Smith and Everson Griffith really do look like great additions.
  • The offense is always harder to to be in sync to start the season. It looked good at times, and out of sync at times.
  • Dak Prescott had a very good game; just didn’t have a great game. As bad as the D played, if that ticky- tac PI call wasn’t made, we would be talking about the great pass Dak made to Gallup.
  • The OL was missing two key starters, used a UFA rookie tackle, who wasn’t great but wasn’t awful either. Under Garrett, missing a starter on the OL seemed to always endanger our QB.
  • Injuries to LVE, Blake Jarwin and Cam Ervin are troublesome. But this is where coaching and the FO matters. Coach up what you have, and hope the FO finds some help.
  • This was ONE GAME. Don’t panic. The rams aren’t chopped liver. They have an excellent HC and were playing at home on national TV opening their new stadium. Why is anyone surprised they played well?
This list could go on. But one other thing to remember: Don’t drink the Koolaide. The Cowboys have a lot of question marks to solve. Doesn’t mean they won’t. Just stay hopeful and realistic.

There’s a difference between hope and overconfidence. Hope is a good thing because it keeps you positive but still tied to reality. Overconfidence is fools gold. It over-values strengths and overlooks weaknesses. Like all NFL teams we have both.

Folks- I have news for all of us. Every single game on our schedule will be difficult. Drink some coffee and fasten your seatbelt.

Good, sensible post!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Wow
The Rams were 9-7 last season in the toughest division in the NFL and the Cowboys were?

The Rams aren't awesome, they were better than the Cowboys last night and if they played 10, I don't know which team wins 6. The TE goes down, the backup RT goes down and the Rams DL is having their way with our OL, do you think the game plan stays intact?

By your statement the Rams are inferior to the Cowboys and the coaches under coached that game? And you're not a McC fan, don't you think McVay is a better HC and OC?

By wade through this you are stating that this is BS and excuse making for the coaching staff? They played a team every bit as good as they are and lost on the road by 3, what's the big deal about any of this?

I swear, some people act like they've never seen a football game before. This team has a challenge exacerbated by the injuries but I think I will wait and see how they do this before I call them out on it. I called him out on that 4th down call and think that was a mistake but I understand what he was trying to do.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll be devouring some tasty waffles with my coffee and contemplating solutions to our many newfound woes and/or upsides!
It's complicated.:thumbup: Just wait 'til they come to Frisco! We'll exact revenge in a somewhat likewise but very evil manner!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever you have to add to explain your observation.
lol, okay, that's pretty broad, but …

In the 2nd half the defense did a better job staying in position rather than falling for misdirection constantly, including having players pick up the receiver on a screen pass so there was not an open target. The screen killed us in the 1st half, as did going with the misdirection on running plays and not being prepared for the play to go the other way. We also blitzed effectively a couple of times in the 2nd half to apply pressure despite Goff getting rid of the ball so quickly. Not saying the defense was lights out the 2nd half, but they did seem to make some adjustments.

On offense, the plan seemed pretty consistent all the way through. Admittedly it seemed that the offense was moving the ball fairly well, but I never noticed much adjustment based on what the Rams defense was doing. No stretching the defense or play action to take advantage of the fact the running game was pretty effective. And, of course, the offense didn't complete drives as effectively the 2nd half.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Wow
I don't think he was saying that at all. It seemed to me he was simply saying that winning isn't only about what one team does, as if what the opponent does isn't a factor, and that sometimes a loss actually has something to do with the opponent playing well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greg, this is same song, different verse. This was your complaint on the old forum and the reason you preferred this one and now it's all happening again.

You have openly expressed your love of confrontation and spirited debate and willingness to not only stand your ground but fight for more and it is funny to think on a football forum you're not going to get some heat. This ain't the Harvard Debate class and arrogance don't fly here and you will get reaction, not just response.

And you have admitted to liking to stir the pot. Some of that is going to splash out on you.
Yea but it’s definitely under more control here.

Not having my history with the Cowboys and my families history in football matter here is something I’ve had to live with. But I can’t change how it influences my stance and arrogance when addressing my opinion on issues. I realized years later I probably divulged too much. I’ve tried to do much less of that in this forum.

I see myself as more of an extension of a Galloway or Hansen planting seeds. That’s my mindset. And I’d prefer no feedback if they can’t omit personal attacks. That part of stirring the pot Im not seeking. It develops into much more than my intentions.

I probably would have never came on these forums except when reading the rules it clearly states we can attack anything Cowboy related without taking personal attacks ourselves. I’m not sure everyone reads the rules.

My issue is with a much bigger fish. And has been since Day 1. Not much has changed. There’s always some collateral damage. But most of this wasn’t necessary. They have brought this on because they can’t handle my message.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think he was saying that at all. It seemed to me he was simply saying that winning isn't only about what one team does, as if what the opponent does isn't a factor, and that sometimes a loss actually has something to do with the opponent playing well.
I know and I agree. But I was also responding to another thread in which this is another extension of making excuses for our coaching staff . Something that wasn’t done last year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
lol, okay, that's pretty broad, but …

In the 2nd half the defense did a better job staying in position rather than falling for misdirection constantly, including having players pick up the receiver on a screen pass so there was not an open target. The screen killed us in the 1st half, as did going with the misdirection on running plays and not being prepared for the play to go the other way. We also blitzed effectively a couple of times in the 2nd half to apply pressure despite Goff getting rid of the ball so quickly. Not saying the defense was lights out the 2nd half, but they did seem to make some adjustments.

On offense, the plan seemed pretty consistent all the way through. Admittedly it seemed that the offense was moving the ball fairly well, but I never noticed much adjustment based on what the Rams defense was doing. No stretching the defense or play action to take advantage of the fact the running game was pretty effective. And, of course, the offense didn't complete drives as effectively the 2nd half.
Good stuff. I’m not much of an X and O fan.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Rams were 9-7 last season in the toughest division in the NFL and the Cowboys were?

The Rams aren't awesome, they were better than the Cowboys last night and if they played 10, I don't know which team wins 6. The TE goes down, the backup RT goes down and the Rams DL is having their way with our OL, do you think the game plan stays intact?

By your statement the Rams are inferior to the Cowboys and the coaches under coached that game? And you're not a McC fan, don't you think McVay is a better HC and OC?

By wade through this you are stating that this is BS and excuse making for the coaching staff? They played a team every bit as good as they are and lost on the road by 3, what's the big deal about any of this?

I swear, some people act like they've never seen a football game before. This team has a challenge exacerbated by the injuries but I think I will wait and see how they do this before I call them out on it. I called him out on that 4th down call and think that was a mistake but I understand what he was trying to do.
Don’t read more into my comments than said. I’ve seen nothing but excuses for our coaching on this thread and others.

All of my friends and family last night were saying the same thing our local papers and beat writers are saying today. And that’s what I’m echoing.

Horrible decision on 4th and 3. Moore is way over rated as OC and injuries. Not much about how great the Rams are.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know and I agree. But I was also responding to another thread in which this is another extension of making excuses for our coaching staff . Something that wasn’t done last year.
I don't think it was a great game for the coaching staff - the decision not to tie the game with a FG was certainly questionable, and the passing game seemed a little too passive. But it's one game. I'll let things play out a little and see how it goes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think it was a great game for the coaching staff - the decision not to tie the game with a FG was certainly questionable, and the passing game seemed a little too passive. But it's one game. I'll let things play out a little and see how it goes.
I understand but we can only critic one game at a time. The attempt to take some of the heat off of criticism this game is an attempt to lessen the blow. Next week could be a completely different story.