Don’t panic. Drink some Coffee; Skip the Koolaide

75boyz

Reaction score
We averaged about 35 points a game in all 8 of our wins last year and 17 points in all of our losses.

We are Cap heavy on offense with most of our stars.

This team is touted as offensive heavy. It has to carry the team. 17 points isn’t going to get it done.

And for an average to below average defense , 20 points should get it done.

Totally agree.

I could care less about what opinion others hold of me here but I am on the side of associating offensive scoring and defensive scoring prevention as the main elements to football wins.

In the second half, the offense scored 3 points on 5 possessions.
The defense allowed 7 points.

The bickering over yards and TOP and all the other crap is the same as last year's empty stat filler garbage proclaiming Dak as some all of a sudden elite
franchise guy. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The defense played well enough when it counted. Time of possession and yards given up are NOT points allowed. THE single most important stat of a defense. POINTS ALLOWED.

Offense failed. (Hint)It won't be the last time either. There's a pattern in place and it will continue.

cern

Reaction score
It's the personal attacks that Greg has a problem w/.
Personal attacks come in many forms. Including passive aggressive ad nauseum. And then the offenders proclaim themselves the victims. This is greg's M.O.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There were a few passes that had good gains based on yards after the catch, but the Lamb pass was downfield with only a couple of yards after the catch before going out of bounds.
I’ll have to review that again. It looked like close to as many yards after catch as downfield .

But that’s it. You’d think with this touted receiving corps we’d have more bigger plays downfield. Not the juggernaut passing attack I was expecting.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ll have to review that again. It looked like close to as many yards after catch as downfield .

But that’s it. You’d think with this touted receiving corps we’d have more bigger plays downfield. Not the juggernaut passing attack I was expecting.
In any case, that play doesn't change the fact the Cowboys didn't really attack downfield, as you noted. I just don't think that was the game plan. I think they were focused on trying to get the ball out so the undrafted rookie and the somewhat piece meal O-Line didn't have to hold up very long.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Personal attacks come in many forms. Including passive aggressive ad nauseum. And then the offenders proclaim themselves the victims. This is greg's M.O.
Personal attacks and insults only come in one form. Frustration or relentless pursuits don’t allow you to make it personal. These forums rules have always been very clear .

Members are allowed to attack anything Cowboy related without taking personal attacks directly themselves. Meaning I can bash Jethro until the cows come home without other fans bashing me individually. Everyone should read that section of rules.

I know on other Social Media outlets personal attacks are allowed. But not in these forums . The same issue I took on the old forums which was constantly abused. This forum controls it much better. Almost zero tolerance especially when reported.

efh313

Reaction score
I’m not surprised at the overreaction of so many fans after last night’s game. Before the season started, the overconfidence here was laughable. It’s not time to panic or act like one game defines this team for 15 more games. That too is laughable. Sure, it was a disappointing start, but it is certainly NOT fatal.

What I encourage every Cowboys fan to do this morning is drink some coffee and skip the Koolaide. It will make you feel better to stop drinking the Koolaide that overlooks this team’s weaknesses. Drinking the coffee takes in both the team’s strengths and weaknesses.

Here’s some coffee which looks at the good and bad:
  • This team lost last night because their defense gave up 422 yards, including 163 on the ground to an average running game. That has to improve.
  • The defense had a problem stopping the run last night, but there are signs its pass rush will be potent. Aldon Smith and Everson Griffith really do look like great additions.
  • The offense is always harder to to be in sync to start the season. It looked good at times, and out of sync at times.
  • Dak Prescott had a very good game; just didn’t have a great game. As bad as the D played, if that ticky- tac PI call wasn’t made, we would be talking about the great pass Dak made to Gallup.
  • The OL was missing two key starters, used a UFA rookie tackle, who wasn’t great but wasn’t awful either. Under Garrett, missing a starter on the OL seemed to always endanger our QB.
  • Injuries to LVE, Blake Jarwin and Cam Ervin are troublesome. But this is where coaching and the FO matters. Coach up what you have, and hope the FO finds some help.
  • This was ONE GAME. Don’t panic. The rams aren’t chopped liver. They have an excellent HC and were playing at home on national TV opening their new stadium. Why is anyone surprised they played well?
This list could go on. But one other thing to remember: Don’t drink the Koolaide. The Cowboys have a lot of question marks to solve. Doesn’t mean they won’t. Just stay hopeful and realistic.

There’s a difference between hope and overconfidence. Hope is a good thing because it keeps you positive but still tied to reality. Overconfidence is fools gold. It over-values strengths and overlooks weaknesses. Like all NFL teams we have both.

Folks- I have news for all of us. Every single game on our schedule will be difficult. Drink some coffee and fasten your seatbelt.
I know this is a really hard post to type even one day later, and may not generate a lot of "likes"... But for me one of the greatest take aways from last night's game was that 4th and 3 call because it was so OBVIOUSLY not Garrett. It was like McCarthy taking the opportunity to go here is where the Clapper would play safe, but MM football plays with aggression because there plenty of time left and I believe we can take them. And I LOVED the call. It didn't go our way this time... but that's FOOTBALL! We'll get 'em next time!!

GO COWBOYS!!!!
:yourock:

Kaiser

Reaction score

"The bride at every wedding, the corpse at every funeral".

cern

Reaction score
Personal attacks and insults only come in one form. Frustration or relentless pursuits don’t allow you to make it personal. These forums rules have always been very clear .

Members are allowed to attack anything Cowboy related without taking personal attacks directly themselves. Meaning I can bash Jethro until the cows come home without other fans bashing me individually. Everyone should read that section of rules.

I know on other Social Media outlets personal attacks are allowed. But not in these forums . The same issue I took on the old forums which was constantly abused. This forum controls it much better. Almost zero tolerance especially when reported.
Your attacks on the jones family are just meant to incite rational posters. You go on ad nauseum with jethro references, fat mikey and others. Then you squeal like bobby on deliverance that you're being personally attacked. You get what you give. You fool no one. Persiflage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know this is a really hard post to type even one day later, and may not generate a lot of "likes"... But for me one of the greatest take aways from last night's game was that 4th and 3 call because it was so OBVIOUSLY not Garrett. It was like McCarthy taking the opportunity to go here is where the Clapper would play safe, but MM football plays with aggression because there plenty of time left and I believe we can take them. And I LOVED the call. It didn't go our way this time... but that's FOOTBALL! We'll get 'em next time!!

GO COWBOYS!!!!
:yourock:
This is another example how some fans are going to enjoy or accept losing with McCarthy than Garrett. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your attacks on the jones family are just meant to incite rational posters. You go on ad nauseum with jethro references, fat mikey and others. Then you squeal like bobby on deliverance that you're being personally attacked. You get what you give. You fool no one. Persiflage.
Not at all. My attacks on the Jones family is to plant the seeds for more to follow. Much like the critics I follow in the Dallas media.

And again, I shouldn’t receive anything in return but a good rebuttal and or argument without personal attacks and insults. Read the rules.

I’m not looking to incite . I’d be ok if no one ever responded. I’m just using this site as a platform to present my voice and opinions.

Last edited:

Haimerej

Reaction score
  • This team lost last night because their defense gave up 422 yards, including 163 on the ground to an average running game. That has to improve.
Probably TBD on whether that running game is average. Hopefully it isn't and the problems aren't as severe.

• The defense had a problem stopping the run last night, but there are signs its pass rush will be potent. Aldon Smith and Everson Griffith really do look like great additions.
Define, "potent." I get that you're looking for a positive but let's not put on our Jerry blinders. Pretty sure Griffen had more penalties than tackles.

• The offense is always harder to to be in sync to start the season. It looked good at times, and out of sync at times.
  • Dak Prescott had a very good game; just didn’t have a great game. As bad as the D played, if that ticky- tac PI call wasn’t made, we would be talking about the great pass Dak made to Gallup.
By the same token, the Rams killed their own drives, too. That dropped screen pass on their second drive could have easily changed the game from 10-0 to 14-0. Also have a hard time praising Dak for 3 second half points.

• The OL was missing two key starters, used a UFA rookie tackle, who wasn’t great but wasn’t awful either. Under Garrett, missing a starter on the OL seemed to always endanger our QB.
How much of a factor was Steele? Donald did most of the disruption and Steele wasn't on him.

• Injuries to LVE, Blake Jarwin and Cam Ervin are troublesome. But this is where coaching and the FO matters. Coach up what you have, and hope the FO finds some help.
  • This was ONE GAME. Don’t panic. The rams aren’t chopped liver. They have an excellent HC and were playing at home on national TV opening their new stadium. Why is anyone surprised they played well?

Thing is the Rams didn't play that great either. They left plenty of plays on the field.

My concerns going forward are mainly with the defense. The front 7 looked a little lost at times with their run fills. Linebackers were over pursuing. I kept an eye on Lawrence in his new stand up role and he appeared hesitant in his rush. I think the adjustment to a read and react role could hurt him. I also think the secondary will be a problem if they think they're going to man press all game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every time we start to dissect coaching and play calling, might we bring execution into it? What play is it in the book where the DT gets to maul two of our blockers and hit the QB? And which one is it that the WR runs short of the sticks on a 4th down? We need to re-evaluate those two plays and toss them outta da book.

What often looks like a bad play called is poor execution and at the end of the game, the QB was having his share because like most QB's, put a lot of pressure on him and he's not as sharp. When a team's OL is getting their butt kicked, I don't know a lot of plays to overcome that.

As far as coaching is concerned, I think they took the Rams lightly as evidenced by that 4th and 3 go for it. The Cowboys got outcoached, but not by a large margin, and the players got outplayed by a larger one.

As far as play calling, do you think that was affected by the TE and backup RT being out and Donald going Tasmanian Devil on the OL? Think the MLB going out early might have affected how Nolan called his side of it. I do not know how Nolan's D works but on a lot of them that MLB is the fulcrum of the D. Already got one LB out and then loses the best one when healthy? How many coaches can overcome that in an evenly matched game?