Don’t rush to judgement Sunday- either way, it’s a long season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The start of real Cowboys football thankfully begins this Sunday. And in all my years of watching Cowboys football, it never fails- based on one game of data, many fans will either declare, “This team sucks”, or “This team is headed to the Super Bowl”.

The truth is, we will learn a few things Sunday, but 1/16th of the season is not a trend. Looking at season openers the last 3 years were hardly predictors of the whole season:
  • 2016 season opener, we lost to the giants 20-19, then rattled off 11 straight wins. The first game was not indicative of what would become a 13-3 season.
  • 2017 season opener, again played the giants, and won 19-3, looking pretty strong. We then lost 3 of the next 4 en route to a 9-7 non playoff season.
  • 2018 we opened with a disappointing 16-8 loss at Carolina. And we lost 3 of our first 5 games. It was a foreshadowing of offensive problems but the latter half of the season after the Cooper trade, the team went 7-2 and won a wild card playoff game.
My point is, the first game is not often an exact representation of what this team will be the whole season. Whatever happens Sunday, good or bad, it’s 1 of 16. We probably won’t know what this team really is until we’ve at least seen 6-8 games. Last year at mid-season, we were 3-5, only to go 7-1 in the second half.

Bottom line...real NFL football starts Sunday. Hold off on pronouncements of what this team is for at least a few weeks. It’s going to be another long ride, with twists and turns none of us could ever have predicted.

But that’s what makes it so fun! Go Cowboys!

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob, if we beat the Giants, its on to the super bowl. You know it. :D

And if we lose to those bums?

giphy.gif

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just want to see the team walk onto the field prepared to play......WELL

Possibly Witten could limit it to one false start and one offensive pass interference.
and I'll be fine.

But... if not. Somebody is getting drawn and quartered.:thumbup:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sunday is about taking care of business and getting a look at what type of coordinator Kellen Moore is going to be.

We know we have a good team. We know our coaches have been let downs.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The start of real Cowboys football thankfully begins this Sunday. And in all my years of watching Cowboys football, it never fails- based on one game of data, many fans will either declare, “This team sucks”, or “This team is headed to the Super Bowl”.

The truth is, we will learn a few things Sunday, but 1/16th of the season is not a trend. Looking at season openers the last 3 years were hardly predictors of the whole season:
  • 2016 season opener, we lost to the giants 20-19, then rattled off 11 straight wins. The first game was not indicative of what would become a 13-3 season.
  • 2017 season opener, again played the giants, and won 19-3, looking pretty strong. We then lost 3 of the next 4 en route to a 9-7 non playoff season.
  • 2018 we opened with a disappointing 16-8 loss at Carolina. And we lost 3 of our first 5 games. It was a foreshadowing of offensive problems but the latter half of the season after the Cooper trade, the team went 7-2 and won a wild card playoff game.
My point is, the first game is not often an exact representation of what this team will be the whole season. Whatever happens Sunday, good or bad, it’s 1 of 16. We probably won’t know what this team really is until we’ve at least seen 6-8 games. Last year at mid-season, we were 3-5, only to go 7-1 in the second half.

Bottom line...real NFL football starts Sunday. Hold off on pronouncements of what this team is for at least a few weeks. It’s going to be another long ride, with twists and turns none of us could ever have predicted.

But that’s what makes it so fun! Go Cowboys!

One of the best posters here but I disagree. Now that the Zeke drama is over there are no excuses. Dallas should thump the Giants. Other than Barkley the Giants have nothing to hurt the Cowboys offensively. Even Rod should know this and look for it. Dallas should consistently pressure Eli and I expect a couple turnovers at least. Offensively Dallas should move the ball consistently and score. I predicted earlier in the weak that this game could be close owing to Jason Garrett and his mysterious ability to underwhelm. That said this team should absolutely come out flying and crush the Giants. If this game is close in the 4th and they look lethargic I think it is an ominous sign for a 2019 grind. Classic Garrett. This team better be past that or big changes are coming. To me this is a home blow out of an inferior team if this team is going to take the next step.

ksadler1

Reaction score
If this team doesn't come out with a chip on it's shoulder, and ready to play, there will be cause for concern.

Contrary to what some believe, NFL seasons are short and EVERY game matters. Not dogging you here OP, but this team needs to come out firing...