Don’t rush to judgement Sunday- either way, it’s a long season

GenoT

Reaction score
Not necessarily but if you want a bye , home field advantage or for the love of God not having to play any games at Lambeau Field in January winning against very beatable division opponents is advisable
All joking aside, and to heck with the perennial “all games against division opponents are tough” admonishments, this is the type of game in which a championship-level(?) team goes out and handles its business.

The NYG didn’t secretly morph into the Pats during the offseason. We’re pretty much at full-strength health-wise so, if this team’s for real, we should get ahead early at home and dominate the entire game — no if’s, and’s, but’s or excuses.

Go Cowboys!

Blackrain

Reaction score
All joking aside, and to heck with the perennial “all games against division opponents are tough” admonishments, this is the type of game in which a championship-level(?) team goes out and handles its business.

The NYG didn’t secretly morph into the Pats during the offseason. We’re pretty much at full-strength health-wise so, if this team’s for real, we should get ahead early at home and dominate the entire game — no if’s, and’s, but’s or excuses.

Go Cowboys!

My feelings exactly . If we lose this game the coaching staff has spit the bit . No reason not to be fully prepared for this home game and get the season started on a good note

JMech

Reaction score
Why the wait?

Exactly my feeling. Have Rowdy drag his carcass off the field behind a four-wheeler before the clock expires. I have now identified a useful function for the existence of Rowdy.

:dance:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@Bobhaze, when is it okay to judge the Cowboys if we can't do it after Sunday's game. :huh:

It's such a contradiction to me. You get just 16 of these games for the year, that's it. Every single one of them should be a 'rush to judgement' because of how few there actually are. This ain't baseball.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
The start of real Cowboys football thankfully begins this Sunday. And in all my years of watching Cowboys football, it never fails- based on one game of data, many fans will either declare, “This team sucks”, or “This team is headed to the Super Bowl”.

The truth is, we will learn a few things Sunday, but 1/16th of the season is not a trend. Looking at season openers the last 3 years were hardly predictors of the whole season:
  • 2016 season opener, we lost to the giants 20-19, then rattled off 11 straight wins. The first game was not indicative of what would become a 13-3 season.
  • 2017 season opener, again played the giants, and won 19-3, looking pretty strong. We then lost 3 of the next 4 en route to a 9-7 non playoff season.
  • 2018 we opened with a disappointing 16-8 loss at Carolina. And we lost 3 of our first 5 games. It was a foreshadowing of offensive problems but the latter half of the season after the Cooper trade, the team went 7-2 and won a wild card playoff game.
My point is, the first game is not often an exact representation of what this team will be the whole season. Whatever happens Sunday, good or bad, it’s 1 of 16. We probably won’t know what this team really is until we’ve at least seen 6-8 games. Last year at mid-season, we were 3-5, only to go 7-1 in the second half.

Bottom line...real NFL football starts Sunday. Hold off on pronouncements of what this team is for at least a few weeks. It’s going to be another long ride, with twists and turns none of us could ever have predicted.

But that’s what makes it so fun! Go Cowboys!
Agree. Didn't the Saints lose to the Bucs at home last year? I would do backflips if this team started 3-0, this is the NFL after all, but they aren't playing the best of teams. Like you said give them some time.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I think it's really just how bad the Giants are to start this year.

In the big scheme of things, no it doesn't mean the season is over. But, losing to this Giants team at home should raise a lot of questions, perfectly warranted. They should catch hell, quite frankly.

But, this is CZ and you can bet there will be a lot of jeans soaked from urine even if we win. Dripping, pee pants. Possibly even questions of "hey wait a second, which one of you crapped in my pants?"

That's the CZ we know and love.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The start of real Cowboys football thankfully begins this Sunday. And in all my years of watching Cowboys football, it never fails- based on one game of data, many fans will either declare, “This team sucks”, or “This team is headed to the Super Bowl”.

The truth is, we will learn a few things Sunday, but 1/16th of the season is not a trend. Looking at season openers the last 3 years were hardly predictors of the whole season:
  • 2016 season opener, we lost to the giants 20-19, then rattled off 11 straight wins. The first game was not indicative of what would become a 13-3 season.
  • 2017 season opener, again played the giants, and won 19-3, looking pretty strong. We then lost 3 of the next 4 en route to a 9-7 non playoff season.
  • 2018 we opened with a disappointing 16-8 loss at Carolina. And we lost 3 of our first 5 games. It was a foreshadowing of offensive problems but the latter half of the season after the Cooper trade, the team went 7-2 and won a wild card playoff game.
My point is, the first game is not often an exact representation of what this team will be the whole season. Whatever happens Sunday, good or bad, it’s 1 of 16. We probably won’t know what this team really is until we’ve at least seen 6-8 games. Last year at mid-season, we were 3-5, only to go 7-1 in the second half.

Bottom line...real NFL football starts Sunday. Hold off on pronouncements of what this team is for at least a few weeks. It’s going to be another long ride, with twists and turns none of us could ever have predicted.

Make NO mistake whatsoever. We should destroy the Giants at home Sunday. We should be 3-0 in our first 3 games. If Garrett doenst have this team ready to steamroll the Giants he should be fired on Monday.

CapnB

Reaction score
Man yall act or react anyway yall want to. You wanna walk on cloud 9 after a win and think this team has a real shot? (Which they do) Then do just that. You wanna get ticked off if they lose (Which they won't) and think "Oh, here we go again" Then do just that. You've waited 9 months for this moment.

X550i

Reaction score
It would be great to see a dominant team Sunday. Always nice when we play like we are supposed to

A great defense and strong running game is always a dominant formula. They should be able to do that Sunday.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Remember when the Patriots got whupped by the Titans and Lions early last season, and people were saying they're done, Brady's over the hill, blah, blah blah?

Those comments aged well.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Come on man ....... You know there is a certain group of people on this forum who will say "game over" halfway through the first quarter.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I agree but will be extremely disappointed if this team fails to win Sunday. If Dallas wins does not mean we are SB bound or a loss we are out of it, but you bet I will be disappointed if this team does not come out of this game with a solid win. I expect this team offense and defense to send a message to the league that they will be a challenger.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

Don’t tell me how to react to anything! Gosssssh! ;)

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And look at the game thread. Conclusions were being drawn about both teams before the end of the first quarter. Imagine how quickly folks here will be flipping out when it's a team they actually care about? My money is on the first incompletion, the first punt, you name it. :muttley:
The season is already over. If they didn't rectify the problems that came forth against the Colts and Rams, last year.
The first time Saquon gains positive yardage, this place will go ballistic.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Go Cowboys!
This is correct. Really good teams blow out bad teams: not always, but often. I won't believe the Cowboys have arrived until I start seeing some blowout victories. Last year we only had one.

On the other hand, you can't read too much into a single game. It'll take a few weeks to know what we're dealing with.

csirl

Reaction score
This is about as easy as season openers are. Defense cant wait to see Eli.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How would you have predicted the season just going off that first game last season with CAR?

I think most of these coaches, and all of them that don't play starters in preseason, think the first game is an "anything can happen" game. Especially if they've made some coaching or player changes in the off season. Great coaches separate themselves from the pack as the season wears on. They want to win the first game but don't have to.

The Cowboys have a new OC, a totally inexperienced OC, and to think he's just going to hit the ground running without some speed bumps isn't realistic. He's facing a pretty good DC that has improved every D he's coached and Moore will face some better ones down the road.

And of all the chin boogie I've been reading all off season about how great and deep the OL and DL are, color me skeptical. Got ?'s on both sides of that line.