Don’t rush to judgement Sunday- either way, it’s a long season

blueblood70

Reaction score
The start of real Cowboys football thankfully begins this Sunday. And in all my years of watching Cowboys football, it never fails- based on one game of data, many fans will either declare, “This team sucks”, or “This team is headed to the Super Bowl”.

The truth is, we will learn a few things Sunday, but 1/16th of the season is not a trend. Looking at season openers the last 3 years were hardly predictors of the whole season:
  • 2016 season opener, we lost to the giants 20-19, then rattled off 11 straight wins. The first game was not indicative of what would become a 13-3 season.
  • 2017 season opener, again played the giants, and won 19-3, looking pretty strong. We then lost 3 of the next 4 en route to a 9-7 non playoff season.
  • 2018 we opened with a disappointing 16-8 loss at Carolina. And we lost 3 of our first 5 games. It was a foreshadowing of offensive problems but the latter half of the season after the Cooper trade, the team went 7-2 and won a wild card playoff game.
My point is, the first game is not often an exact representation of what this team will be the whole season. Whatever happens Sunday, good or bad, it’s 1 of 16. We probably won’t know what this team really is until we’ve at least seen 6-8 games. Last year at mid-season, we were 3-5, only to go 7-1 in the second half.

Bottom line...real NFL football starts Sunday. Hold off on pronouncements of what this team is for at least a few weeks. It’s going to be another long ride, with twists and turns none of us could ever have predicted.

But that’s what makes it so fun! Go Cowboys!
lol you have not learned much here have you, this forum will be saying its over at the half if we are down or look bad...

top topics will be about how

bad JG needs to be fired
Moore was mistake Red zone still an issue
Zeke looks fat and slow and should have not been traded
Pollard is better RB controversy
Wheres the pass rush against this bad oline..

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The start of real Cowboys football thankfully begins this Sunday. And in all my years of watching Cowboys football, it never fails- based on one game of data, many fans will either declare, “This team sucks”, or “This team is headed to the Super Bowl”.

The truth is, we will learn a few things Sunday, but 1/16th of the season is not a trend. Looking at season openers the last 3 years were hardly predictors of the whole season:
  • 2016 season opener, we lost to the giants 20-19, then rattled off 11 straight wins. The first game was not indicative of what would become a 13-3 season.
  • 2017 season opener, again played the giants, and won 19-3, looking pretty strong. We then lost 3 of the next 4 en route to a 9-7 non playoff season.
  • 2018 we opened with a disappointing 16-8 loss at Carolina. And we lost 3 of our first 5 games. It was a foreshadowing of offensive problems but the latter half of the season after the Cooper trade, the team went 7-2 and won a wild card playoff game.
My point is, the first game is not often an exact representation of what this team will be the whole season. Whatever happens Sunday, good or bad, it’s 1 of 16. We probably won’t know what this team really is until we’ve at least seen 6-8 games. Last year at mid-season, we were 3-5, only to go 7-1 in the second half.

Bottom line...real NFL football starts Sunday. Hold off on pronouncements of what this team is for at least a few weeks. It’s going to be another long ride, with twists and turns none of us could ever have predicted.

The voice of reason... ya know, you just gotta knock that off! :muttley:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Theory: If oline is your team's strength, you should always expect to start slow.
The abbreviated preseason, limited camp, and limited hitting should have olines starting the season slow relative to other units. More than other units, the oline is largely about cooperation, and that requires play time.
Also, just as the oline's advantage against the defense is smallest at the beginning of the game, when the defense is most fresh and healthy, the oline's advantage is smallest at the beginning of the *season*, when defenses are as healthy as they will be all year.

We'll have the added problem this year of Zeke not being in football shape physically or mentally. On the latter, I don't mean emotionally, I mean the lack of reps to get in sync with the oline.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this team doesn't come out with a chip on it's shoulder, and ready to play, there will be cause for concern.

Contrary to what some believe, NFL seasons are short and EVERY game matters. Not dogging you here OP, but this team needs to come out firing...
I want them to be in the game win or lose, showing that they are doing something worthwhile. Some of the play last year looked like, 'excuse me' efforts. So, I get it Bob, and I agree, but those pathetic games were just that. Kinda scary when they start like that.
But, onward and upward. Go Cowboys!!:starspin:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I agree with you, but after the Giants first score, people will be proclaiming the season a bust... they won’t be waiting for the end of the game.

If the Cowboys win but not by enough points, we’ll hear how bad the season will be.

That’s just how it is here.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the best posters here but I disagree. Now that the Zeke drama is over there are no excuses. Dallas should thump the Giants. Other than Barkley the Giants have nothing to hurt the Cowboys offensively. Even Rod should know this and look for it. Dallas should consistently pressure Eli and I expect a couple turnovers at least. Offensively Dallas should move the ball consistently and score. I predicted earlier in the weak that this game could be close owing to Jason Garrett and his mysterious ability to underwhelm. That said this team should absolutely come out flying and crush the Giants. If this game is close in the 4th and they look lethargic I think it is an ominous sign for a 2019 grind. Classic Garrett. This team better be past that or big changes are coming. To me this is a home blow out of an inferior team if this team is going to take the next step.
I hear ya brother but all Im saying is this is going to be a long season and it takes more than one game to get a good idea of who we are.

Reaction score

In your examples Bob, the Cowboys and their opponents were pretty closely matched. The games could have gone either way.

On Sunday, we are by far the better team. It shouldn't be close.

A loss would be a massive disappointment. And would put into question the entire season. At least to me

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think most of us have a healthy respect for what these divisional rivalries usually entail. Anything can happen in this type of contest.
Let's face it . . . there's never any guarantees that we'll emerge victorious but win or lose, we'll surely survive.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think most of us have a healthy respect for what these divisional rivalries usually entail. Anything can happen in this type of game.

There's never any guarantees that we'll emerge victorious but win or lose, we'll surely survive.:thumbup:
:hammer:Anything can happen and often does!

Blackrain

Reaction score

I agree the first game is many times a poor representation of what the team really is . Zeke the Oline and Kellen Moore on paper should be money but the truth is they havent played together yet this season . A cause for some concern .

That said if we are to make the playoffs with this schedule we flat out must beat the teams we are supposed to beat . This is most certainly one of those occasions . I expect it to be a close game but we are at home and there is absolutely no excuse not to be prepared and get a win. Close also dose not mean depending on our suspect kicker to win the game on the last play close .

I also expect Zeke to hit the ground running , No excuses , no rust BS , your getting paid like the best back in the NFL we expect nothing less . Just because he held out dosent mean he should not be fully prepared .

In short, we may not be at our full potential here in game one but a loss at home with this roster is unacceptable against this opponent

Big D

Reaction score
We do better when we start off slow
I prefer the team face some type of adversity early in the season as a character builder. They're going to need it with all the cheese flying around.

T-RO

Reaction score
It's not just the first-game where people rush to judgment. There will be clowns in the game-thread whining like children in the first half.

The reality is that even half a season can be misleading:

Last season, after 8 games:
Commanders, 5-3
Eagles, 4-4
Cowboys, 3-5

Colts were 3-5

nobody

Reaction score

Last year should be a good proof of "It ain't over til it's over." Nobody should be screaming "We're done!" or "SUPER BOWL BABY!" any time soon.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The beginning of this Packers-Bears game should be a good reminder that teams, and offenses in particular, can look really sloppy and bad in game 1.