Don’t rush to judgement Sunday- either way, it’s a long season

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The start of real Cowboys football thankfully begins this Sunday. And in all my years of watching Cowboys football, it never fails- based on one game of data, many fans will either declare, “This team sucks”, or “This team is headed to the Super Bowl”.

The truth is, we will learn a few things Sunday, but 1/16th of the season is not a trend. Looking at season openers the last 3 years were hardly predictors of the whole season:
  • 2016 season opener, we lost to the giants 20-19, then rattled off 11 straight wins. The first game was not indicative of what would become a 13-3 season.
  • 2017 season opener, again played the giants, and won 19-3, looking pretty strong. We then lost 3 of the next 4 en route to a 9-7 non playoff season.
  • 2018 we opened with a disappointing 16-8 loss at Carolina. And we lost 3 of our first 5 games. It was a foreshadowing of offensive problems but the latter half of the season after the Cooper trade, the team went 7-2 and won a wild card playoff game.
My point is, the first game is not often an exact representation of what this team will be the whole season. Whatever happens Sunday, good or bad, it’s 1 of 16. We probably won’t know what this team really is until we’ve at least seen 6-8 games. Last year at mid-season, we were 3-5, only to go 7-1 in the second half.

Bottom line...real NFL football starts Sunday. Hold off on pronouncements of what this team is for at least a few weeks. It’s going to be another long ride, with twists and turns none of us could ever have predicted.

But that’s what makes it so fun! Go Cowboys!
2014 we got smoked against the niners and I remember th epre game shows talking about how we may have the worst defense in th ehistory of the league and we were the worst team in the NFL. I think we turned it around shortly thereafter.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The beginning of this Packers-Bears game should be a good reminder that teams, and offenses in particular, can look really sloppy and bad in game 1.
No joke. This is some bad football. Both offenses look like this is their first practice.

817Gill

Reaction score
It would be great to see a dominant team Sunday. Always nice when we play like we are supposed to

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
No joke. This is some bad football. Both offenses look like this is their first practice.

And look at the game thread. Conclusions were being drawn about both teams before the end of the first quarter. Imagine how quickly folks here will be flipping out when it's a team they actually care about? My money is on the first incompletion, the first punt, you name it. :muttley:

Batman1980

Reaction score
And look at the game thread. Conclusions were being drawn about both teams before the end of the first quarter. Imagine how quickly folks here will be flipping out when it's a team they actually care about? My money is on the first incompletion, the first punt, you name it. :muttley:

The first time the $90 million RB slips and only gains 2 yards instead of 10+.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
No rush to judgement.

But if they lose this game, Garrett should be fired 5 minutes after the clock strikes zero.

5? That is too long. Before the clock strikes zeros, old jerrah should have his flip phone out with 30 seconds and counting and let him know to not go to the locker room but his car.

Bigdog

Reaction score
So we can get these comments out of the way now then:
Garrett sucks and needs to go
Dak is not a franchise qb and we need to draft another qb
Zeke looks fat
Can’t the CBs turn their heads and look for the ball?
God, Witten is slow
We paid Collins how much money?

I’ve missed some but you get the point.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always get a kick out of watching the game day thread. It’s like suicide watch after a three and out. It’s the Super Bowl train after a TD. It’s as good as any comedy club in America!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All you have to do is look at that CHI-GB debacle to know these players aren't as ready for football as we are.

coult44

Reaction score
Half way through the season, the same guys that told you not to be excited after game one will tell you you’re too negative after game nine. Everyone wants to tell everyone else how to act after a win or a loss. Even the guy who says you should be in the middle.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Theory: If oline is your team's strength, you should always expect to start slow.
The abbreviated preseason, limited camp, and limited hitting should have olines starting the season slow relative to other units. More than other units, the oline is largely about cooperation, and that requires play time.
Also, just as the oline's advantage against the defense is smallest at the beginning of the game, when the defense is most fresh and healthy, the oline's advantage is smallest at the beginning of the *season*, when defenses are as healthy as they will be all year.

We'll have the added problem this year of Zeke not being in football shape physically or mentally. On the latter, I don't mean emotionally, I mean the lack of reps to get in sync with the oline.
The OLine ALWAYS starts slow. They don’t hit their stride until week 3. I posted the same thing last year.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/ol-won’t-be-top-speed-until-week-3.411304/

Martin played the worst game of his career vs NYG to open 2017. This year he won’t have practiced the last 2-3 weeks.

Tyrons back problems and Fred getting back to full speed it will take awhile.

Going to need to lean on the passing game because I doubt the OL blasts holes week 1

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The OLine ALWAYS starts slow. They don’t hit their stride until week 3. I posted the same thing last year.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/ol-won’t-be-top-speed-until-week-3.411304/

Martin played the worst game of his career vs NYG to open 2017. This year he won’t have practiced the last 2-3 weeks.

Tyrons back problems and Fred getting back to full speed it will take awhile.

Going to need to lean on the passing game because I doubt the OL blasts holes week 1

Great minds think alike!

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
@Bobhaze you are right, of course - but don’t discount the importance of the game either. It’s a divisional game at home. There are only 16 regular season games per year and only 3 home divisional games. You’ve got to win them.

So no, if they lose the season is not lost, and if they blow out the Giants they’re not necessarily going to the Super Bowl. But a bad loss to an inferior divisional opponent in our own house would be devastating.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If we cant beat the sorry arse Giants, in our own house, then we got some major problems.

This should be a layup game...………..seriously.

windjc

Reaction score
The NFL season is a marathon not a sprint. Often it’s just comes down to whose the last man standing.