Don Banks: Cowboys probably regret Williams trade

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
CNNSI:

I'm wondering if the Cowboys would still make the trade for Roy E. Williams if they had it to do over? Doubtful. In case you're not paying attention, Williams has caught just 11 passes for 161 yards and one touchdown in his six games with Dallas, a paltry average of less than two catches and 27 yards per game.

For that the Cowboys are giving up their first- and third-round picks in 2009, plus paying Williams a guaranteed $20 million as part of his five-year, $45 million contract extension? Maybe the Lions did win one in 2008, after all.

http://img246.*************/img246/9917/ch21thunov272008050735pel3.jpg

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Not a all ..... after Williams and Romo get on the same page its gonna be a nightmare for the league for years.

The Panch

Reaction score
Whether we made the right decision will be decided in December and potientally January. Until then, I'll withold my judgement.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Goodness...Roy is a #1 WR for when T.O. retires. He provides a huge weapon in our offense and there are ZERO WRs in our range of the draft that will have an impact like him.

We would have to give up more to get Crabtree than we did to get Roy11.

Jusl89

Reaction score
Look at TO's success...it's because Roy11 has opened up the field for him.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
With both romo and roy on the field we are undefeated. This guy doesn't know what hes talking about.

Eskimo

Reaction score
The trade was a bit of a panic move by Jerry brought on by the poor play of the OL leading to teams being able to double TO and Witten and defend Barber against the run. I think Jerry thought the key to saving the season was bringing in RW11 to free up Owens and Witten.

I still argue the real key to getting the offense going again was solidifying the OL by getting rid of Proctor and inserting a competent OG.

Anyhow, the trade will be judged on how far we go in the playoffs (if we make it there) and whether RW11 becomes the replacement #1 for TO as he ages. It is really way too early to judge who has won this trade.

My main beef with the trade is that I thought we didn't need RW11 this season and could have acquired him for less (or possibly nothing) in the offseason. I would have rather kept the 1st and 3rd to spend on OL/ILB/NT/S.

Rudy

Reaction score
Jusl89;2454498 said:
Look at TO's success...it's because Roy11 has opened up the field for him.

Point for! I wish the dbag analysts would own up to this. Same thing goes for Witten and the entire offense...sans the running game.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Rudy;2454507 said:
Point for! I wish the dbag analysts would own up to this. Same thing goes for Witten and the entire offense...sans the running game.

The real key has been improved play of the OL. How much production for TO against SF when Proctor was in there?

The Panch

Reaction score
Eskimo;2454502 said:
My main beef with the trade is that I thought we didn't need RW11 this season and could have acquired him for less (or possibly nothing) in the offseason. I would have rather kept the 1st and 3rd to spend on OL/ILB/NT/S.
That's my feeling too. If we end up getting nothing out of Roy this season, that's a waste at two picks for the sole purpose of getting first dibs at him long term.

Nexx

Reaction score
Eskimo;2454502 said:
The trade was a bit of a panic move by Jerry brought on by the poor play of the OL leading to teams being able to double TO and Witten and defend Barber against the run. I think Jerry thought the key to saving the season was bringing in RW11 to free up Owens and Witten.

I still argue the real key to getting the offense going again was solidifying the OL by getting rid of Proctor and inserting a competent OG.

Anyhow, the trade will be judged on how far we go in the playoffs (if we make it there) and whether RW11 becomes the replacement #1 for TO as he ages. It is really way too early to judge who has won this trade.

so you still want Crayton out there as our #2? :lmao2::lmao::laugh2:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Eskimo;2454510 said:
The real key has been improved play of the OL. How much production for TO against SF when Proctor was in there?

Romo saw some pressure and worked his magic since he's been back, don't get it twisted, the guy makes our line look better than it actually is on a regular basis. If he was as flat footed as Barber, he'd still be getting mobbed at times back there.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i know not don banks

but i know i want to kick him in his throat.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Sorry Don. Bad concept. You should have asked anyone at Dallas rather than made a stupid assumption. They'd tell you they aren't just happy, they are ecstatic. Every catch except one has been for a 1st down and a couple of them show how good a WR he is. He just needs to get acclimated to the Offense and there is time.

Learn the game Don. It isn't that hard to grasp.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
If we didn't trade for Roy during the season, they would have franchised him and we would've had to trade for him then. Chances are, we'd have had to pay the same thing then, and we would've had nothing to show for it this season.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2454501 said:
With both romo and roy on the field we are undefeated. This guy doesn't know what hes talking about.
Another :) instead of a :D ?