Don Banks: Cowboys probably regret Williams trade

thekavorka

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2454713 said:
Pretty amazing how Gilbride and the Giants can lead the NFL in scoring without a single WR in the statistical top 50, but Jason Garrett needs nothing less than a Pro Bowl caliber talent at every skill position for his offense to work.

I think it's because the Giants actually have a consistent running game. We seem to be feast or famine.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2454713 said:
Pretty amazing how the Giants can lead the NFL in scoring without a single WR in the statistical top 50, but our $3 million per year offensive coordinator needs nothing less than a Pro Bowl caliber talent at every single skill position for his offense to work.

If I were Kevin Gilbride, I think I would be due a raise.

And we've seen what Garrett is (or is not) capable of once a few of his million-dollar pieces exit a few games with injury. I'm still amazed by the lack of creativity to involve Bennett, Roy and, previously, Felix. Last note on this rant: I don't hate the way he calls plays, but I don't think he forces our talent upon teams enough at times. It seems like he lets teams dictate what becomes of our weapons -- like all 10 of them.

As for the original purpose of the thread, I don't regret the trade at all. Each week, Roy's performance has left me asking: Why the heck isn't he getting the ball more?!?! He catches everything within five yards in any direction it seems, can stretch the field and offers a possession dimension as well.

But then I have also always disagreed with the premise that trading for his services was a panic move. Had we traded for 30-year-old Chad Johnson, I'd understand the argument. But to me, 75 percent of the reasoning behind getting Roy is to ensure we have a receiver alongside Romo for the duration of his career here. Last thing we needed is what happened to Troy later in his career to happen to Romo in two years when he's peaking.

Now, if four years from now Roy has failed to supplant TO as our No. 1 receiver, I'd probably agree it was a bad trade. But I don't think the move was ever about him getting 100-yard performances this season.

Additionally, it must be said: Our offense, until the last two games, stunk since Roy got here for various reasons (Romo out, and then Romo back but not throwing downfield against Washington). There was a stretch where TO had like six-straight 30-yard efforts and four-straight games, I think, where Witten caught just one pass. So given that, plus the fact Romo and Roy are still learning each other, it's hardly a surprise he's not lighting it up statistically.

But each week you're seeing a bigger impact, highlighted by last week's 65 yards from scrimmage.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
This offense when Romo went down was pathetic. This offense (without RW) if TO goes down would be a disaster.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
In each of the past two games, Owens and Witten have combined for at least 213 yards.

Would that have been possible without Roy E. drawing some attention away?

Maybe, but they did it only four times in their first 43 games as teammates, and now they've done it in back-to-back games.

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2454737 said:
In each of the past two games, Owens and Witten have combined for at least 213 yards.

Maybe, but they did it only four times in their first 43 games as teammates, and now they've done it in back-to-back games.

49ers and Seattle moreso than Roy11.

Doesn't his contract severely hamper our ability to not only sign free agents but also resign some our own players (Ware, Columbo etc.)

Given the current economic climate, is there a chance the cap decreases next year?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the trade if we hadn't resigned TO

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
many in the media are cowboy haters....this is there way of trying to disrupt the lockeroom

burmafrd

Reaction score
The cap will increase next year but probably not as much as originally thought. But the difference will be pretty minor. Most of the money comes from the TV contract and that is already set.
Jerruh used a first rd pick to get a PROVEN WR. IF he had to draft one he would have had to use a first to get one with RW's college resume- and would probably have had to use AT LEAST a 3rd to move up; MAYBE even our second. POSSIBLY even next years first to get high enough.
Add to that he had been after RW for a while anyway. We saw last year what happened without a deep threat when TO went down. RW is insurance added to the extra threat needed to keep the D honest.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Hostile;2454517 said:
Sorry Don. Bad concept. You should have asked anyone at Dallas rather than made a stupid assumption. They'd tell you they aren't just happy, they are ecstatic. Every catch except one has been for a 1st down and a couple of them show how good a WR he is. He just needs to get acclimated to the Offense and there is time.

Learn the game Don. It isn't that hard to grasp.

Yeah, and the one that wasn't a first down was a touchdown.

cowboyz

Reaction score
i don't think they regret it.

but i think they should look at what cleveland and the jets gave up for their NTs

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2454737 said:

That's a great stat.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I don't think they are regretting it one bit. Rather I think the Iggles are regretting playing it conservative and not giving the Lions what they wanted for Roy.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I wonder if Don Banks would still make this post if he had an f'in clue...

1fisher

Reaction score
anyone that thought he would come in and make an immediate impact (multiple TD's and multiple yards) is football ignorant... fess up.. you know who you are ... :D

Apparently Don Banks is at the head of the line....

When RW and Romo get on the same page, I'm looking for good things to happen.

:starspin:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Eskimo;2454502 said:
The trade was a bit of a panic move by Jerry brought on by the poor play of the OL leading to teams being able to double TO and Witten and defend Barber against the run.

A panic move he has been trying to do for over 2 years?

I do not think you understand the definition of "panic".

;)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I want all of you (us) to know you've (we've) just made Don Banks' day and validated his "calling."

As long as we keep offering multiple pages of outrage over what some writer says negatively about the Cowboys, we'll keep the steady stream of negativity flowing.

You'll notice that Cowboys praise by media hardly gets the response that Cowboys bashing by media does.

I'll assume one day we'll become smart enough to figure this out. Until then, let the faux outrage continue. ;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2454851 said:
I want all of you (us) to know you've (we've) just made Don Banks' day and validated his "calling."

As long as we keep offering multiple pages of outrage over what some writer says negatively about the Cowboys, we'll keep the steady stream of negativity flowing.

You'll notice that Cowboys praise by media hardly gets the response that Cowboys bashing by media does.

I'll assume one day we'll become smart enough to figure this out. Until then, let the faux outrage continue. ;)
SI and Banks have to read here to validate it though. If they have no clue how it is taken mission failure.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He has also allowed Crayton to move back to the slot where he can be lethal and has made some very nice catches in recent weeks.

The true value of this trade should come next year as the team opens the new stadium. I can't wait until week 1 in that new palace when we have Romo, behind a healthy OL, throwing to Owens, Williams, Crayton, Austin, Witten, and Bennett and handing off to Barber and Felix.