Don't forget about Damone Clark

Beaker42

Reaction score
Again, he was hurt and playing out of position.

I feel like an old album from the 70's that skips and repeats the same thing over and over.
When did he stop hurting because he still sucks at recognition and reacting to the play.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Again, he was hurt and playing out of position.

I feel like an old album from the 70's that skips and repeats the same thing over and over.
Because what you are saying doesn't have the merit you think it does. His problem last year was the same problem he had while healthy and playing his natural position at LSU. He lacks instincts and is reliant on athletism. Thats why he was viewed as a day prospect and not a day 1 prospect before they his back issues

coult44

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...c-kendricks-demarvion-overshown-marist-liufau

From veteran Eric Kendricks to rookie Marist Liufau to the delayed debut of DeMarvion Overshown, the Dallas Cowboys’ linebacker position will look very different in 2024. The one holdover from last year’s group, Damone Clark, is starting to feel like an afterthought. But he shouldn’t be ignored as a potential key contributor to next year’s defense.

Clark, who turns 24 in June, is entering just his third season. A fifth-round pick in 2022 whose stock fell due to spinal fusion surgery that March, Clark didn’t come off injured reserve until midway through his rookie year. But he quickly impressed when on the field, eventually starting five games that season and every game for Dallas last year.
Clark wouldn’t be competing for second team on a good team.

Gambit

Reaction score
Clark's biggest knock coming out if I recall was discipline and eyes, easily fooled partially due to over aggression.

He does seem hesitant at times, I think Zim and McCurley can help there and maybe having Kendricks and Wilson in room helps him.

I think it's too early to give up on him, let him play his natural spot and continue to develop.

I'm a fan of UDFA Morgensen can't wait for camp to see how he develops.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Last year, we frequently saw Dallas run 6 man fronts against 2 TE sets. Let's do the math. That's 7 blockers on 6 defenders. That's not pretty.

Most NFL DC's would put 7 in the box in that situation. If they are getting beat by the run, possibly 8. The math starts to look a lot better.

IMO, most of the defenders last year, including Clark looked worse because they were frequently outmanned and outsized.

If Clark doesn't improve at all, I suspect he will look better just due to scheme.

This change won't be for free. DQ's emphasis was on pass rush while protecting against the big play. He achieved that. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas give up more big plays with less pass pressure next year while improving the run defense.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
LBs usually show if they've got it or not in year 2. Clark's rookie year was essentially a redshirt, and 2023 was his "real" rookie year, which wasn't a disaster but generally had fewer ups than downs. If he's going to step up, it's going to be this season.

yentl911

Reaction score
Do your research before crapping on a player. He was forced to play out of position last year due to all the LB injuries.
I watched him play and he might have been out of his normal position but he has no instincts or awareness. Worst player on the field. Total waste.

yentl911

Reaction score
Spinal fusion is no joke (don't ask...) It's difficult to imagine an NFL linebacker with spinal fusion taking on those violent hits.

There's a reason he slipped, and unlike an ACL which might fully heal, the spinal injury could be a long term problem.

Dallas sure likes injury prone players at LB!
He has gone through a lot and he seems like a great kid.

The issue is he’s just not a very good player at the NFL level

cmoney23

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...c-kendricks-demarvion-overshown-marist-liufau

From veteran Eric Kendricks to rookie Marist Liufau to the delayed debut of DeMarvion Overshown, the Dallas Cowboys’ linebacker position will look very different in 2024. The one holdover from last year’s group, Damone Clark, is starting to feel like an afterthought. But he shouldn’t be ignored as a potential key contributor to next year’s defense.

Clark, who turns 24 in June, is entering just his third season. A fifth-round pick in 2022 whose stock fell due to spinal fusion surgery that March, Clark didn’t come off injured reserve until midway through his rookie year. But he quickly impressed when on the field, eventually starting five games that season and every game for Dallas last year.
maxresdefault.jpg