Dooley being our WRC is another stain on Garrett’s abilities

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too much looking in the rear view mirror. Not enough looking through the windshield.

It's a new day. It's a new dawn.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is this guy your WRC for 5 years and he’s not teaching them route running? How do you miss that? Where is the disconnect?

It's just another sign of incompetence.

Another clear example of how and why the careers of Romo and Witten and Ware were wasted here, while your "head coach" tried to learn on the job. Remember Jerry's biggest regret?

Put this one down as another on the list of contributing factors.

But sure, "all the players love Garrett", while the coaches he hired can't coach those players in how to best do their jobs. And then once again those players get the blame because "they suck". But sure, how could you not love a guy like that?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We didn’t appear to have an issue with our recievers coach until Dak begun struggling and weaknesses more exposed ?

Not one critic I’ve seen here of our coaching has placed or referred any of these issues to Dak.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a thread about Derek Dooley, the wide receivers coach, the job he did and the man who hired him for that job. It's not about Dak Prescott.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Dooley, but I'm also not going to rush to proclaim Lal will be better. Whenever a new coach joins a team there are always articles saying the new coach is great, he's a great teacher, or motivator, or experienced, or widely respected, or.........

I'll wait until we see how these WRs perform in actual games. So far all the articles and talk about him are positive, but again, this soon in their tenure, they usually are. He's been a WR coach awhile and has moved around quite a bit, but the teams he has coached for had pretty "meh" WRs, so we'll see what he can do with this group.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
How is this guy your WRC for 5 years and he’s not teaching them route running? How do you miss that? Where is the disconnect?

Come on. Dooley just got an OC job at Mizzou. He is a good coach. That WR room had a huge cancer in it that none of the coaches tried to control. Cole B is a mental midget and anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt. They like their excuses in Dallas. So are we to believe the problem was a WR coach? Give me a break.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Beaze is not a rookie, T_Will is not a rookie, Hurns is not a rookie, if these guys need someone to teach them how to run routes then there is something wrong! I can see them teaching a rookie how it is done in the NFL but when you have been around for 5 plus years you should know how!

Bingo!!! Watch All for Nothing. That WR room was awful. Beasley looks like he is sleeping through the meetings. Everyone is too comfortable in Dallas. I hope Austin takes CB's spot. I also think Hurns is best in the slot. Beasley has zero reason to be comfortable.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not a fan of Dooley, but I'm also not going to rush to proclaim Lal will be better. Whenever a new coach joins a team there are always articles saying the new coach is great, he's a great teacher, or motivator, or experienced, or widely respected, or.........

I'll wait until we see how these WRs perform in actual games. So far all the articles and talk about him are positive, but again, this soon in their tenure, they usually are. He's been a WR coach awhile and has moved around quite a bit, but the teams he has coached for had pretty "meh" WRs, so we'll see what he can do with this group.

Actually, the most "meh" part of things for Lal have been the quarterbacks. When Tyrod Taylor is the best passer you've worked with, you've got problems.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come on. Dooley just got an OC job at Mizzou. He is a good coach. That WR room had a huge cancer in it that none of the coaches tried to control. Cole B is a mental midget and anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt. They like their excuses in Dallas. So are we to believe the problem was a WR coach? Give me a break.

Dooley is not a "good coach."

Who's actual job was it to lead that receivers group? Who allowed things to get out of control?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Actually, the most "meh" part of things for Lal have been the quarterbacks. When Tyrod Taylor is the best passer you've worked with, you've got problems.
Yeah, the QBs on those teams were far from great, it makes it hard to judge, how good he is as a coach, "meh" WRs and QBs. There's nothing on his resume that tells us he's going to be better than what we had. That's why I'm in wait and see mode before I can say he will be any better.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What "game" would you prefer to play? The one where every glaring mistake gets ignored and glossed over or we pretended it didn't happen?

The "stupid game" would be the one where people try to cover things up.

If that we’re to happen, it’d be stupid, I agree.

Let’s play a game where we talk about things that are actual problems in Dallas. Could we just do that, maybe?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, the QBs on those teams were far from great, it makes it hard to judge, how good he is as a coach, "meh" WRs and QBs. There's nothing on his resume that tells us he's going to be better than what we had. That's why I'm in wait and see mode before I can say he will be any better.

I can appreciate that position.

But I look to several of his most recent charges having pretty good recent success.

Sammy Watkins got paid big-time, almost by the Cowboys.

Robert Woods had a career year in Los Angeles, despite missing four games.

And Marquise Goodwin emerged as the #1 receiver in San Francisco (by a wide margin).

Those were three guys coached by Lal in Buffalo, so I take it a step a good sign and a feather in his cap.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that we’re to happen, it’d be stupid, I agree.

Let’s play a game where we talk about things that are actual problems in Dallas. Could we just do that, maybe?

If you don't think hiring bad coaches is one, maybe this isn't the thread for you, and I'm not intending that statement to be snarky at all, but maybe applicable. I think that it is an "actual problem."

There are three coaching hires that I love - Richard, Lal, and Alexander. But there are others where guys don't have the experience that I'm concerned about - Moore, Bloom, and Nussmeier. Like Dooley, they have very little experience coaching the positions they're now charged with.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How about the other half of that equation? The one where an unqualified guy was given and held a job he wasn't qualified for over several years?

I'm every bit as excited about Sanjay Lal coaching the receivers as anyone. But that doesn't mean I'm required to be blinded over the "Dooley debacle" and the man responsible for hiring him.

If you’re not going to measure a position coach by the actual performance of the players in his position group, how are you measuring it? If it’s really a “debacle,” surely there must be a concrete deficiency to point to. Drop rate? Points? Where’d this inability to run routes present itself on the field?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you’re not going to measure a position coach by the actual performance of the players in his position group, how are you measuring it? If it’s really a “debacle,” surely there must be a concrete deficiency to point to. Drop rate? Points? Where’d this inability to run routes present itself on the field?
Right.

And when did these issues begin presenting themselves?

This is becoming a laughable spin to protect a bigger issue it appears.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'd start with the biggest, most proven talent that Dooley had to work with - Dez Bryant.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BryaDe01.htm

His numbers dropped consistently for three years without Romo taking care of things, and Dooley's coaching never turned that trend around. Maybe Romo made everybody better than they actually were? Players and coaches?

Much like Wade Wilson, none of these coaches can do much without that guy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd start with the biggest, most proven talent that Dooley had to work with - Dez Bryant.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BryaDe01.htm

His numbers dropped consistently for three years without Romo taking care of things, and Dooley's coaching never turned that trend around. Maybe Romo made everybody better than they actually were? Players and coaches?

Much like Wade Wilson, none of these coaches can do much without that guy.
Correct. And or a guy like Romo’s abilities.

The drop off in talent level at QB has been a contributing factor to our issues here that I’m not seeing addressed in this thread.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct. And or a guy like Romo’s abilities.

The drop off in talent level at QB has been a contributing factor to our issues here that I’m not seeing addressed in this thread.

I see what you're saying, and I do not disagree with you. Romo was clearly a better passer than Dak is at present. But I think that if we stray too far down that road, we risk turning this from a Dooley thread into another Dak thread.