Dooley being our WRC is another stain on Garrett’s abilities

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
No doubt, but Dez Bryant was proven talent. And under Dooley's watch, his numbers tanked.

Under Dooley’s tutelage, Dez Bryant was selected to his only three Pro Bowls of his career, and in 2014 was named 1st Team All-Pro. In that same year, Bryant set the Dallas Cowboys record for most touchdowns in a season.[3]

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually they tanked the most significantly while Dak was QB.

Had they begun diminishing after his injury. Of course. I think we could argue Dez might have peaked. But when all of your receiving Corp diminishes there might be more contributing factors.

I'd say they tanked without Romo. You can't leave the 2015 season off of the trio of down years. His drop, like most of them, conincided with being without Romo. Nobody overcame that. Not players, not coaches

Big_D

Reaction score
That this emphasis or critique of our route running wasn’t a team wide issue or concern until Dak begin struggling and his weaknesses were more exposed.

Of course, he's a young QB and the WRs aren't really getting separation. That goes both ways. If you're not teaching and practicing route running then you can't just blame the QB. A 2 year QB will have some struggles. Romo took more chances and did a better job of extending plays. And it obviously covered up the lack of crisp route running which this team never really been known for.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If you are a pro football player (WR/TE) and you need someone to teach you how to run routes then you should not be playing the game!

Here's the problem I have with this......watch college football and notice most WRs are always open most times. They rarely see tight coverage, especially the kind they'll face in NFL. Of course, they know to run a route but do they know how to get open on a route using the detailed techniques? I'm not sure coz, again they simply don't see the tight until they get to the NFL. Here notice what Commanders coach said about one his rookie receivers after mini camp........this from ESPN

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23786801/surprise-offseason-camp-standouts-know-32-nfl-teams-2018
Washington Commanders
Wide receiver Trey Quinn

The current Mr. Irrelevant looks like he could one day be, well, relevant. Quinn has shown quickness out of his breaks and strong hands. He is best as a slot receiver, but the Commanders have Jamison Crowder in front of him. They're hoping Quinn can learn other spots, too, but he's best inside. "He's a quiet assassin, and he just goes out there and is very detailed in his routes," Commanders coach Jay Gruden said. "Very quarterback-friendly target." -- John Keim

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If the NFL is like every other business in the country, every team is probably adding sensitivity into their coaching to protect the fragility of this generation of young adults.
Youtube "Rescue me - sensitivity training."

kevm3

Reaction score
The problem here has been a lot of coaches just being here and coasting. Matt Cassell said after a game he was looking for the QB coach and couldn't find him. Now we're hearing about Dooley. We've heard about Sean Lee having to tell a coach that this play wasn't going to work. Why didn't our DBs learn to turn their head around?

Honestly, it seems the philosophy from the coaches was to just get out there and play and if you didn't learn what you needed to before you got here, tough luck. I hope this new crop of coaches is much more hands on, and from the looks of it, it looks like they will be.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Actually they tanked the most significantly while Dak was QB.

Had they begun diminishing after his injury. Of course. I think we could argue Dez might have peaked. But when all of your receiving Corp diminishes there might be more contributing factors.
Dak threw 20 yards per game less last season than the season before. Same completions, passing TDs. What was off was an increase in attempts.
We're built to run the ball and compliment the passing game. This concept hasn't been in place since Aikman. Even the beloved Romo couldn't win with just his arm.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd say they tanked without Romo. You can't leave the 2015 season off of the trio of down years. His drop, like most of them, conincided with being without Romo. Nobody overcame that. Not players, not coaches
Agreed.
But yet we want to make this about our recievers?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course, he's a young QB and the WRs aren't really getting separation. That goes both ways. If you're not teaching and practicing route running then you can't just blame the QB. A 2 year QB will have some struggles. Romo took more chances and did a better job of extending plays. And it obviously covered up the lack of crisp route running which this team never really been known for.
Apparently Daks weaknesses are unveiling many issues with our receiving Corp?
Just saying..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed.
But yet we want to make this about our recievers?

I've said it before and I think you would agree (correct me if I'm wrong) that they're all interconnected.

A quarterback can't succeed without receivers and receivers can't succeed without a quarterback.

But I can acknowledge that connection while still trying to keep the thread subjects separate.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak threw 20 yards per game less last season than the season before. Same completions, passing TDs. What was off was an increase in attempts.
We're built to run the ball and compliment the passing game. This concept hasn't been in place since Aikman. Even the beloved Romo couldn't win with just his arm.
If we can win with Dak in this offense then it will cure all ills and no one will care about Daks or our pass route weaknesses .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem here has been a lot of coaches just being here and coasting. Matt Cassell said after a game he was looking for the QB coach and couldn't find him. Now we're hearing about Dooley. We've heard about Sean Lee having to tell a coach that this play wasn't going to work. Why didn't our DBs learn to turn their head around?

Honestly, it seems the philosophy from the coaches was to just get out there and play and if you didn't learn what you needed to before you got here, tough luck. I hope this new crop of coaches is much more hands on, and from the looks of it, it looks like they will be.

:thumbup::clap::bow:

Great summary.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've said it before and I think you would agree (correct me if I'm wrong) that they're all interconnected.

A quarterback can't succeed without receivers and receivers can't succeed without a quarterback.

But I can acknowledge that connection while still trying to keep the thread subjects separate.
Romo elevated the receiving corps we had. Doesn’t look like Dak has the same ability.

Will that be a problem? Looks like it already is.