Dooley being our WRC is another stain on Garrett’s abilities

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd start with the biggest, most proven talent that Dooley had to work with - Dez Bryant.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BryaDe01.htm

His numbers dropped consistently for three years without Romo taking care of things, and Dooley's coaching never turned that trend around. Maybe Romo made everybody better than they actually were? Players and coaches?

Much like Wade Wilson, none of these coaches can do much without that guy.

Well then, at least we know this isn’t a serious discussion. He presided over Dez most productive years in terms of receptions, TDs, and yards.

This is another situation, like with Wilson, where you’ve just decided you don’t like the guy and so his presence on the roster must be a debacle. Really, the WR group, and the whole passing offense, performed well under his watch. Dez put up elite numbers, and guys like Beasley were developed into capable players under two different QBs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I see what you're saying, and I do not disagree with you. Romo was clearly a better passer than Dak is at present. But I think that if we stray too far down that road, we risk turning this from a Dooley thread into another Dak thread.
I understand but we can’t seriously discuss our receiving issues without the impact and contributing factors the one who’s throwing it is having.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I can appreciate that position.

But I look to several of his most recent charges having pretty good recent success.

Sammy Watkins got paid big-time, almost by the Cowboys.

Robert Woods had a career year in Los Angeles, despite missing four games.

And Marquise Goodwin emerged as the #1 receiver in San Francisco (by a wide margin).

Those were three guys coached by Lal in Buffalo, so I take it a step a good sign and a feather in his cap.
I can appreciate looking for the upside, but also hard to credit their success after joining a new team to Lal. Simply getting out of Buffalo, at least for a WR is better for their careers.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Interesting that Dooley went out of his way in WR meetings and on TV to cater to Dez and ask him "How should I word this?"
An 8 year vet had to have his position coach add sensitivity to his coaching lesson because our "no 1 wr" didn't have the mental faculties or ability to live with the idea that an opposing defense was good.

If the NFL is like every other business in the country, every team is probably adding sensitivity into their coaching to protect the fragility of this generation of young adults.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well then, at least we know this isn’t a serious discussion. He presided over Dez most productive years in terms of receptions, TDs, and yards.

Thanks for going the dismissive route. Classy. It really adds and contributes to relevant conversation.

The fact is that Dez was just as productive before Dooley, and proceeded to get worse the longer he was here. But sure, Dooley (and your hero Garrett) gets a pass.

Do you want to look at the totality of Dez's production under Dooley or do you want to cherry pick the parts that fit your agenda?

This is another situation, like with Wilson, where you’ve just decided you don’t like the guy and so his presence on the roster must be a debacle. Really, the WR group, and the whole passing offense, performed well under his watch. Dez put up elite numbers, and guys like Beasley were developed into capable players under two different QBs.

And guess what? I was years ahead of you and this staff about Wilson too. But don't let the facts get in the way of your snark attempts.

The fact is that this wide receiver corps - as a whole - imploded last year, and the guy was sent packing. And now the receivers are thrilled to actually be coached.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can appreciate looking for the upside, but also hard to credit their success after joining a new team to Lal. Simply getting out of Buffalo, at least for a WR is better for their careers.

But the same for Lal, right? He never had the quarterbacks before either. Just like those receivers.

And he must have done something right for the three of them to have success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thanks for going the dismissive route. Classy. It really adds and contributes to relevant conversation.

The fact is that Dez was just as productive before Dooley, and proceeded to get worse the longer he was here. But sure, Dooley (and your hero Garrett) gets a pass.

Do you want to look at the totality of Dez's production under Dooley or do you want to cherry pick the parts that fit your agenda?

And guess what? I was years ahead of you and this staff about Wilson too. But don't let the facts get in the way of your snark attempts.

The fact is that this wide receiver corps - as a whole - imploded last year, and the guy was sent packing. And now the receivers are thrilled to actually be coached.
The results will speak for themselves. All we can do is analyze them. And our beliefs and views heading in often influence our opinions.

But I’d argue the talent plays a bigger role than coaching. Better talent always makes the coaching look smarter.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But the same for Lal, right? He never had the quarterbacks before either. Just like those receivers.

And he must have done something right for the three of them to have success.
And why it goes back to the talent.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's definitely a problem. You don't just wing route running and then blame the receivers. 9 years in and they're finally teaching them how to run routes? lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand but we can’t seriously discuss our receiving issues without the impact and contributing factors the one who’s throwing it is having.

They're undeniably connected, but I don't want to take this thread off the rails.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The results will speak for themselves. All we can do is analyze them. And our beliefs and views heading in often influence our opinions.

But I’d argue the talent plays a bigger role than coaching. Better talent always makes the coaching look smarter.

No doubt, but Dez Bryant was proven talent. And under Dooley's watch, his numbers tanked.

Big_D

Reaction score

Which is why route running is so important when you have a young QB. It's important all the time, but in this scenario, it's vital. It's a package deal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which is why route running is so important when you have a young QB. It's important all the time, but in this scenario, it's vital. It's a package deal.
I’m trying to recall the last time we’ve had so much emphasis on route running in dissecting contributing factors in ineptitude in our passing game? And I mean widespread not just one player.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No doubt, but Dez Bryant was proven talent. And under Dooley's watch, his numbers tanked.
Actually they tanked the most significantly while Dak was QB.

Had they begun diminishing after his injury. Of course. I think we could argue Dez might have peaked. But when all of your receiving Corp diminishes there might be more contributing factors.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s probably more important with a QB like Dak. Lol

Are they discussing route running in Philly or LA?

Big_D

Reaction score
But we’re we discussing this team wide before?

Yes, it's the reason everyone seems to be ripping Dez apart. You run precise routes and gain separation. You need every advantage against quality DBs. But if they're not practicing that, it's a big problem.