Dooley being our WRC is another stain on Garrett’s abilities

Big_D

Reaction score
Apparently Daks weaknesses are unveiling many issues with our receiving Corp?
Just saying..

Well when it comes to light that the team doesn't even practice route running, there's really no surprise. It's not all Daks fault.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If we can win with Dak in this offense then it will cure all ills and no one will care about Daks or our pass route weaknesses .
The route topic is overused IMO. I don't think Dez was THAT bad and I don't think is was THAT great. It's like a dozen other catch phrases fans here use often.
"Throw him open" is another.

We will be fine if the O line stays on the field.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo elevated the receiving corps we had. Doesn’t look like Dak has the same ability.

Will that be a problem? Looks like it already is.

I'd concede that. But I also have to wonder if the lack of and uninspired routes played a negative role as well.

Dak isn't Romo as a passer, but his play was good enough to get this team to 13-3 as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak threw 20 yards per game less last season than the season before. Same completions, passing TDs. What was off was an increase in attempts.
We're built to run the ball and compliment the passing game. This concept hasn't been in place since Aikman. Even the beloved Romo couldn't win with just his arm.
And I wanted to add.. how much more effective would this offense be with a QB with Aikmans passing ability ?

I don’t recall defenses stacking the line. We had a deep threat and effective passing game with a run oriented offense.

How much of a handicap is Dak compared to a more prolific passing QB like Aikman?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
But the same for Lal, right? He never had the quarterbacks before either. Just like those receivers.

And he must have done something right for the three of them to have success.
Lal's ability is still in question, a lot of holes in giving credit to Lal for those 3 WRs. Woods while technically had a "career year" he also had a whole new team, system and coaches that I'm sure would take some of that credit. Even his career year wasn't that far off than what he produced in Buffalo before Lal even arrived, only 80 yds less and same number of TDs. Watkins got paid big, probably overpaid looking at his past production, because of his perceived potential and where he got drafted, but in no way was Sanjay Lal being his WR coach for 2 seasons any factor. Watkins isn't known for great route running or technique, he got paid because of his speed.

Goodwin has a good year at SF and now it's because of Lal? Maybe his new team, scheme, QB, coaches, or SF WR coach had something to do with that. I'm not trying to Sanjay is a bad coach, I'm just saying there really isn't much in his past that shows that he will be a difference maker with our WRs. I didn't much care for Dooley and suspect Lal will do an adequate job. It will be more about what Linehan does with the WRs that will determine our passing game success.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And I wanted to add.. how much more effective would this offense be with a QB with Aikmans passing ability ?

I don’t recall defenses stacking the line. We had a deep threat and effective passing game with a run oriented offense.

How much of a handicap is Dak compared to a more prolific passing QB like Aikman?
Behind the O line last season? Not very good at all. He wasn't known for mobility. A better passer overall, no question. But not until 1992. His numbers were not that good at all until then. Apples to Oranges anyway.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually they tanked the most significantly while Dak was QB.

Had they begun diminishing after his injury. Of course. I think we could argue Dez might have peaked. But when all of your receiving Corp diminishes there might be more contributing factors.

There might be contributing factors?!? Ya think?

Ignoring Dez’ career production in 2013 and 2014 and attributing the droppoff in 2015-2017 to the WR coach is absurd. Injury. Age. Weeden. Cassel. Dak. These are the variables. The idea that he could run routes and be productive but gradually forgot over time—while other players in his position group happened to get better and have career years of their own—makes no sense at all.

Not all coaches are created equal. And every staff has some that are better than others. But WR production wasn’t a problem in Dallas until last season. Dooley’s not here because he turned down an extension. Lal was a good get, as Jerry alluded to during OTAs. Good for us. There’s nothing more to it than that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd concede that. But I also have to wonder if the lack of and uninspired routes played a negative role as well.

Dak isn't Romo as a passer, but his play was good enough to get this team to 13-3 as well.

Without that winning wave in Rookie season what is our evaluation and evaluation of Dak? It looks more like 2017.

Does it basically just revolve around winning.?
We were sold on Dak because we won 13 games that we looked the other way on his passing ability and skills?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I don't have to bury myself in all 6 pages. I already know what it's about...lol

Dez isn't coming back.

He go bye bye.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Behind the O line last season? Not very good at all. He wasn't known for mobility. A better passer overall, no question. But not until 1992. His numbers were not that good at all until then. Apples to Oranges anyway.
You introduced Aikman into the discussion. Are we going to bash Troy in defense of Dak?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Plenty here saw Dez's act in the WR meetings on All or Nothing.....

& we are supposed to believe Dooley could teach THAT personality how to run routes?

:thumbup:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
They have always been a problem with route running. Romo had to pack a lunch back there waiting on his guys to get open.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You introduced Aikman into the discussion. Are we going to bash Troy in defense of Dak?
Is there something wrong with your reading ability? I'm simply stating the fact that Aikman wouldn't do very well without a solid O line. He's a better passer, but lacks in mobility.
Sorry it doesn't align with your narrative, but too bad. that's not bashing dude. I loved Aikman.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Plenty here saw Dez's act in the WR meetings on All or Nothing.....

& we are supposed to believe Dooley could teach THAT personality how to run routes?

:thumbup:
Funny how this got railroaded. I don't think any of our WR's were very good the last few seasons. But forget that, Dak sucks.
:facepalm: