Dooley being our WRC is another stain on Garrett’s abilities

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Greg your desperation to blame everybody but Jason is becoming more and more evident. Sad too.
Jerry
Dak
WR
RB
who's next?

KDM256

Reaction score
I've seen Dooley run a once proud University of Tennessee program into the ground back in the day, so Dooley ruining Dallas WR corps, doesn't come off as a shock to me..

Dooley hasn't elevated not one WR's game on this roster during his tenure.

Big_D

Reaction score
I don't have to bury myself in all 6 pages. I already know what it's about...lol

Dez isn't coming back.

He go bye bye.

You might want to. It was Beasley who said Dooley didn't teach route running. Has zero to do with Dez Bryant. It's a systematic problem.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Plenty here saw Dez's act in the WR meetings on All or Nothing.....

& we are supposed to believe Dooley could teach THAT personality how to run routes?

:thumbup:
Again, I wasn't a fan of Dooley's but, how much was he allowed to coach Dez? Dez is passionate, but also a diva and that was tolerated by the OC, HC, GM, owner. Dez did or didn't do what he wanted, it later came back to bite him on the rump, but the organization was complicit in allowing it to happen from the get go.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lal's ability is still in question, a lot of holes in giving credit to Lal for those 3 WRs. Woods while technically had a "career year" he also had a whole new team, system and coaches that I'm sure would take some of that credit. Even his career year wasn't that far off than what he produced in Buffalo before Lal even arrived, only 80 yds less and same number of TDs.

Was that playing the same 12 games? While I certainly give the new team part of the credit, I also give some to Lal for coaching the player to that level too.

Watkins got paid big, probably overpaid looking at his past production, because of his perceived potential and where he got drafted, but in no way was Sanjay Lal being his WR coach for 2 seasons any factor. Watkins isn't known for great route running or technique, he got paid because of his speed.

Watkins credits Lal as being the best coach he's ever had.

Goodwin has a good year at SF and now it's because of Lal? Maybe his new team, scheme, QB, coaches, or SF WR coach had something to do with that. I'm not trying to Sanjay is a bad coach, I'm just saying there really isn't much in his past that shows that he will be a difference maker with our WRs. I didn't much care for Dooley and suspect Lal will do an adequate job. It will be more about what Linehan does with the WRs that will determine our passing game success.

I'm not saying you give Lal total credit, but this is not one, not two, but three receivers he's coached going on to have success. I see a pattern.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lal's ability is still in question, a lot of holes in giving credit to Lal for those 3 WRs. Woods while technically had a "career year" he also had a whole new team, system and coaches that I'm sure would take some of that credit. Even his career year wasn't that far off than what he produced in Buffalo before Lal even arrived, only 80 yds less and same number of TDs.

Was that playing the same 12 games? While I certainly give the new team part of the credit, I also give some to Lal for coaching the player to that level too.

Watkins got paid big, probably overpaid looking at his past production, because of his perceived potential and where he got drafted, but in no way was Sanjay Lal being his WR coach for 2 seasons any factor. Watkins isn't known for great route running or technique, he got paid because of his speed.

Watkins credits Lal as being the best coach he's ever had.

Goodwin has a good year at SF and now it's because of Lal? Maybe his new team, scheme, QB, coaches, or SF WR coach had something to do with that. I'm not trying to Sanjay is a bad coach, I'm just saying there really isn't much in his past that shows that he will be a difference maker with our WRs. I didn't much care for Dooley and suspect Lal will do an adequate job. It will be more about what Linehan does with the WRs that will determine our passing game success.

I'm not saying you give Lal total credit, but this is not one, not two, but three receivers he's coached going on to have success. I see a pattern.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Without that winning wave in Rookie season what is our evaluation and evaluation of Dak? It looks more like 2017.

I'd say that 24 good games outweighs 8 poor games. Are you saying the opposite?

Does it basically just revolve around winning.?

Does this question need to be asked?

We were sold on Dak because we won 13 games that we looked the other way on his passing ability and skills?

13 games won outweighs any and all flashy stats. I can remember plenty of 300 yard games from Romo that looked pretty and resulted in losses.

So I'll take a win over stats any day, yes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is there something wrong with your reading ability? I'm simply stating the fact that Aikman wouldn't do very well without a solid O line. He's a better passer, but lacks in mobility.
Sorry it doesn't align with your narrative, but too bad. that's not bashing dude. I loved Aikman.
Dak didn’t do too well without all of his OL either. But even with it couldn’t win a playoff game.

Without the winning wave Dak had in 2016 he’s an average QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

13 games won outweighs any and all flashy stats. I can remember plenty of 300 yard games from Romo that looked pretty and resulted in losses.

So, without the winning what do we have? A very average QB.

Which supports winning cures all ills. If we were evaluating Dak on 2017 alone we wouldn’t be very impressed.

Big_D

Reaction score

I'd much rather be a running team with a bus driver!! That's what I'm looking for. And that could certainly be good enough to win.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s the basis of why most werent overly impressed with Romo despite being the Cowboys all time leading passer . Not enough winning.

It all revolves around winning. And why if we have success with Dak the rest is not as meaningful or possibly relevant.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, without the winning what do we have? A very average QB.

And Jeff George threw pretty passes, put up gaudy numbers, and never won anything. I'll reiterate it, I'm most interested in wins. If Prescott gets us to 13 of them, it's much more important than gaudy numbers that result in a loss.

Prescott has skills in other areas than pure passing numbers. And even his passing numbers are better than plenty of higher-regarded contemporaries.

Aikman never out up gaudy passing numbers either, he just won. I'll take that.

Which supports winning cures all ills. If we were evaluating Dak on 2017 alone we wouldn’t be very impressed.

But that's not the case at all, so it has no validity.

And again, I wi also reiterate that I want to keep the focus on Dooley and not turn this into another Dak thread. If you want to start one of those, I'll be glad to meet you there.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dak didn’t do too well without all of his OL either. But even with it couldn’t win a playoff game.

Without the winning wave Dak had in 2016 he’s an average QB.
That was my point.
As far as him not winning a playoff game, who was the real culprit? Over 300 yards, 3 TDs and a rating over 103 doesn't really support your point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd much rather be a running team with a bus driver!! That's what I'm looking for. And that could certainly be good enough to win.

It sure was in 2016, despite a much lesser defense that you had to cover for.

Dak runs well, he doesn't make big mistakes and turnovers, and you can (obviously) win with him. This team won 13 games in 2016 with average receiving numbers. There's no reason to believe they can't again, especially if the defense improves enough to handle their part of the equation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That was my point.
As far as him not winning a playoff game, who was the real culprit? Over 300 yards, 3 TDs and a rating over 103 doesn't really support your point.
Just win!!

Without the winning wave in 2016 he’d be just another backup.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It sure was in 2016, despite a much lesser defense that you had to cover for.

Dak runs well, he doesn't make big mistakes and turnovers, and you can (obviously) win with him. This team won 13 games in 2016 with average receiving numbers. There's no reason to believe they can't again, especially if the defense improves enough to handle their part of the equation.
“We can win with him” if he’s surrounded with elite talent .

So, if we have a great defense and this elite talent around him on offense we basically could win with many QB’s?

Then why are we so sold on Dak? I don’t understand the emotional attachment with his skill level? I get Jerry’s because of his popularity and jersey sales but why are we so attached?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They tell the story of a player on a steep decline, due to age and a rash of lower body injuries. You can't look at Dez's career and not give Dooley any credit for the pinnacle and only blame him for the decline. He was there for both.

No, I don't do that. I'll look at the entire five years Dooley was here. Dez was putting up Dez numbers before Dooley got here.

92 receptions 1382 yards and 12 TD's in 2012, 15 yards per reception. Dooley sure didn't do that. He wasn't here.

But for 3 of the 5 years (majority) Dooley was here, Bryant's numbers were way down. I certainly think the receivers coach bears responsibility for receivers production too.