Dorance Armstrong

kskboys

Reaction score
Per his Kansas coach:

Beaty: The issue for a lot of teams was his combine performance and pro day performance. Well, Dorance has never weighed 260 pounds since he’s been here. He came in very, very heavy. I’m not sure who exactly he was training with, but my way of dealing with him would not be carrying that kind of weight. The guy we know, one of his biggest attributes is his speed and quickness. I can assure you they got a steal out of him because had he ran what I thought he was going to run and been at the right weight, he wouldn’t have been around fourth round. No way.

———

Dorance is a lot faster than what people think. Dorance never ran even remotely close to the (4.87) times he ran for the scouts. He’s been a high 4.5 to mid 4.6 guy every day when he was at the right weight: I think what they’re going to see is one of the most explosive guys develop in the NFL when it comes to getting off that edge. They found them a pass rusher. They got them a guy, no doubt.

Good stuff.

Hey, I didn't like the pick at the time, but now that he's ours, I'm in full force rooting mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Slow down on the praise for this guy, if he's such a great player, why was he available in the 4th round?

Not to say teams don't miss on players, but for 31 other teams to pass him by for 3 rounds doesn't speak to his huge skill set.

He's not a top-tier player, based on college work, so though he does have potential. As I said I'll give him a chance, but too many act like Jerry, the "I know talent better than anybody else, other teams are just nuts for not drafting this guy"

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Per his Kansas coach:

Beaty: The issue for a lot of teams was his combine performance and pro day performance. Well, Dorance has never weighed 260 pounds since he’s been here. He came in very, very heavy. I’m not sure who exactly he was training with, but my way of dealing with him would not be carrying that kind of weight. The guy we know, one of his biggest attributes is his speed and quickness. I can assure you they got a steal out of him because had he ran what I thought he was going to run and been at the right weight, he wouldn’t have been around fourth round. No way.

———

Dorance is a lot faster than what people think. Dorance never ran even remotely close to the (4.87) times he ran for the scouts. He’s been a high 4.5 to mid 4.6 guy every day when he was at the right weight: I think what they’re going to see is one of the most explosive guys develop in the NFL when it comes to getting off that edge. They found them a pass rusher. They got them a guy, no doubt.

A little bit of a dilemma here. If he maintains the weight, is he now quick enough? If he loses the weight to get back the speed, is he too light?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Slow down on the praise for this guy, if he's such a great player, why was he available in the 4th round?

Not to say teams don't miss on players, but for 31 other teams to pass him by for 3 rounds doesn't speak to his huge skill set.

He's not a top-tier player, based on college work, so though he does have potential. As I said I'll give him a chance, but too many act like Jerry, the "I know talent better than anybody else, other teams are just nuts for not drafting this guy"

Ummm you heard of Tom Brady right?

Give you some pass rushers drafted late or not at all:

Cameron Wake
Robert Mathis
Dwight Freeney
Everson Griffen
James Harrison
Elvis Dumervil
Justin Houston

Not saying this guy is as good, but teams miss all the time every year.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Good stuff.

Hey, I didn't like the pick at the time, but now that he's ours, I'm in full force rooting mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn’t do a lot of HW on him but anyone with his size/length that has his ability to bend the edge has a chance.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Ummm you heard of Tom Brady right?

Give you some pass rushers drafted late or not at all:

Cameron Wake
Robert Mathis
Dwight Freeney
Everson Griffen
James Harrison
Elvis Dumervil
Justin Houston

Not saying this guy is as good, but teams miss all the time every year.

And teams draft guys high who are busts. I said he had potential, but that's all he has at this point, same as the above. Some are posting like he was a first rounder that somehow dropped to the fourth...

RoboQB

Reaction score
And that happens all the time, right? 6th rounder wins 5 Super Bowls.

Brady is about the biggest exception ever, but it's not at all common...

But it does happen though. Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder.
They don't have to be SB MVPs either. Marques Colston was a 7th rounder.
Charles Haley was a 4th rounder. Richard Sherman a 5th rounder.

There are 22 starters on the field. Not all of them were drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.
Some weren't drafted at all.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But it does happen though. Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder.
They don't have to be SB MVPs either. Marques Colston was a 7th rounder.
Charles Haley was a 4th rounder. Richard Sherman a 5th rounder.

There are 22 starters on the field. Not all of them were drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. Some weren't drafted at all QUOTE.

Sure it happens. But how often? Most of the time?

No.

All I'm saying is that a fourth rounder he's LESS LIKELY to be a top player. I'm not saying he has no chance to be a top player or that he MAY not be one of those guys who "fall through the cracks", but the odds are greatly against it...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And that happens all the time, right? 6th rounder wins 5 Super Bowls.

Brady is about the biggest exception ever, but it's not at all common...
He's THE exception when it comes to historically great players being taken in the 6th ground. But stars in this league have been found all over the draft. Even as Cowboy fans we've had some great success with finding Pro Bowlers all over the draft. Jay Ratliff was a 7th rounder, Romo was undrafted, Miles Austin was undrafted, Cole Beasley undrafted.....it happens a lot in this league. Scouts just miss guys. Scouts and teams have a formula they follow when it comes to drafting players and if a guy doesn't have great measurables or follow the formula that teams look for? They fall out of favor. So with a flawed system like that it only makes sense that you have stars all over the draft. Its also why you have first round busts too.

RoboQB

Reaction score

Not an attack towards you but here's a thought from a different perspective:

I say if fans want to name a player, drafted anywhere or signed off the street, and predict that they will
make the team or become a key sub or a starter or a superstar, let them and leave them be.

It's really easy to stand back and doubt. You're just playing averages and have no idea how it work pan out.

So I salute all the fans that have the testicular (or ovarian...lol) fortitude to say any small school, overdrafted, undrafted, non-"sure thing"
wall become a solid contributer to the team they tune into every week.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Not an attack towards you but here's a thought from a different perspective:

I say if fans want to name a player, drafted anywhere or signed off the street, and predict that they will
make the team or become a key sub or a starter or a superstar, let them and leave them be.

It's really easy to stand back and doubt. You're just playing averages and have no idea how it work pan out.

So I salute all the fans that have the testicular (or ovarian...lol) fortitude to say any small school, overdrafted, undrafted, non-"sure thing"
wall become a solid contributer to the team they tune into every week.

Everybody please note I said I'd give him a chance, and that he could be one of those late round draft picks that surprise.

But he could also be like most 4th rounders, just an average guy. I have no need to try and "wow" people by being the first or one of the few to say "see, I knew this guy was going to be a superstar, you others just weren't as discerning as me".

If I don't agree that he's a diamond in the rough, my opinion should be respected, as I respect those opinions that say he'll be great...

RoboQB

Reaction score
Everybody please note I said I'd give him a chance, and that he could be one of those late round draft picks that surprise.

But he could also be like most 4th rounders, just an average guy. I have no need to try and "wow" people by being the first or one of the few to say "see, I knew this guy was going to be a superstar, you others just weren't as discerning as me".

If I don't agree that he's a diamond in the rough, my opinion should be respected, as I respect those opinions that say he'll be great...

Just remember, Mickey (lol), not every player is selected in the first round. That's why there's always a
diamond in the rough. You just have to find him.:thumbup:

RoboQB

Reaction score
Just remember that most good players come from the 1st and 2nd rounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to who's in the HoF, you're correct.
Peruse the starting lineups along the league, then factor in those
that are in heavy rotation week to week. There are plenty of players
drafted late, or not at all, on the field.

I didn't see anyone deem him the second coming of Deacon Jones (who, by the way, was a 14th rd pick in 1961).
I'm just saying look for him to possibly be a good player for us.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe some crazy pills since you think a 40 time for a OL means anything in pass protection.
40 time would have some value(really the first 10 yards is what counts) for their ability to get to the second level in run blocking.

40 time for a defensive lineman too isn't as important, depending on his 10 yard split, as very rarely will you see a DL guy run 40 yards on any play. It's mainly about their explosiveness off the snap(10 yard split) and their 3 cone(to get a idea of their agility)
The "excuses" for Armstrong are similar to Tapper back in 2016. Scheme changed as so did their defined roles in the defense.
2016 in the 4-3, Armstrong had 10 sacks. This past year in the 3-4 he was asked to look/stop the run first.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article210097004.html
Armstrong had 10 sacks and 20 tackles for loss in 2016, including a dominant showing in Kansas’ upset victory over Texas. In 2017, though, he regressed from a production standpoint with just 1.5 sacks and nine tackles for loss.

The Cowboys certainly believe Armstrong is more of the 2016 player than the 2017 player.

"Big discussion in the room," Stephen Jones said. "They had injuries there at Kansas and converted to a 3-4 early in the season because of injuries. I think he put on some weight and kept that weight on and really felt like that was in the best interest of the team. He’s an ultimate team guy who is just what we’re looking for and matches up with what Rod [Marinelli] is all abo

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-2018-scouting-report-for-dallas-cowboys-pick
POSITIVES

—Long-armed (34 ¾") edge-rusher with impressive burst and agility on a frame (6'4", 257 lbs) that can be built up.

—Raw athlete with the tools to be developed into a special edge-rusher. Smooth, twitchy mover.

—Excellent burst out of his stance; can beat blockers with his length or his first step.

—Uses his hands well to create space or redirect blockers; has a great stiff arm.

—Shows a variety of pass-rush moves and doesn't have to win with just speed. Likes to work inside or spin off blockers.

FWIW.

I admit I know little of him as I didn't expect the Cowboys to be too active on the DE side of the draft.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/behind-the-times-the-10yard-split/

some info on the importance of the 10 yard split.

Armstrong split was 1.69 or 1.70, seeing different info on different sites.
Which in that writers opinion is below average/Anthony Spencer level

Speed for a DE is HUGE particularly for a 250lb guy. He's not going to bull rush anyone so he better be able to run around them. Guys that get off the line fast have great 40 times. In fact, the 40 time is mostly about the start and how fast you can get up to speed. Von Miller runs a sub 4.5. Huge advantage. DWare was bigger but still had 4.5 speed. I don't know the reason Dorrance ran a 4.9, but he's not going to sniff a QB at that speed. If he was injured, he shouldn't have run at all.