Dorance Armstrong

Carter

Reaction score
Someone tell OP that this isnt about drafting track runners.

I like Armstrong. Had him in some mocks. Why? 10 Sacks in the 4-3 at Age 19
Than they switched the D to 3-4 and he played as OLB most of the time against the Run.

Kansas was utter trash. He was the only Player you had to gameplan against. He was double teamed every game.

Is he a Project? Yes. Its an Upside Pick. The guy is 20. Also with our suspect behaving Pass Rushers you can never have enough on the Roster.

Having 10 Picks in the Draft and multiple in the 4th allows you to draft guys like this.

Irving and Gregory are suspensions waiting to happen, Gregory not even reinstated yet.
Lawrence was suspended before. Tapper always injured. Taco has yet to prove hes starting material.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Glad to know you are smarter than anyone on ESPN, NFLN or professional NFL scouts.

Next year we will just defer to your judgement on all aspects of the draft.

giphy.gif

timb2

Reaction score
Glad to know you are smarter than anyone on ESPN, NFLN or professional NFL scouts.

Next year we will just defer to your judgement on all aspects of the draft.
I appreciate that Mr. Jones,hopefully no more Quincy Carter stinkbombs that you have drafted in the past. I won't let you down.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Someone tell OP that this isnt about drafting track runners.

I like Armstrong. Had him in some mocks. Why? 10 Sacks in the 4-3 at Age 19
Than they switched the D to 3-4 and he played as OLB most of the time against the Run.

Kansas was utter trash. He was the only Player you had to gameplan against. He was double teamed every game.

Is he a Project? Yes. Its an Upside Pick. The guy is 20. Also with our suspect behaving Pass Rushers you can never have enough on the Roster.

Having 10 Picks in the Draft and multiple in the 4th allows you to draft guys like this.

Irving and Gregory are suspensions waiting to happen, Gregory not even reinstated yet.
Lawrence was suspended before. Tapper always injured. Taco has yet to prove hes starting material.
exactly. All that matters is short area quickness,awareness,and power. He has those things in spades. We aint asking him to win a race lol. Just to be available for the rotation if called on.He's young and durable. BOTH GREAT TRAITS.

chagus

Reaction score
Looks pretty solid to me. Has some pass rush moves and doesnt give up on the play. Plus, he's very young and could gain muscle and strength. Much upside with this kid. GO COWBOYS!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Some things to consider on Armstrong:

There are approximately 12,650 Division I NCAA football players every year (115 teams with an average of 110 players on each team).

The NFL draft is 256 players, so only the top (just talking numbers here, not saying good players don't get drafted) 2.02% get a chance to be in the NFL.

Just by the numbers, any of the draftees are darn good football players. Now can they make the jump to the NFL? Won't know until it happens, but ANY of the 256 draftees are talented, so to dis Armstrong due to his 40 time or weight or last year stats doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, as they say "there's a reason he wasn't drafted until the 4th round".

I'm all for giving him a chance, I won't drag out the "...wasn't drafted until the 6th round" guy, but some guys just need to develop a bit more before they're "ready for prime time"...

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oh brother another jumping to conclusions thread. I like the kid, I think he could be a steal honestly.

Same here. The big problem that he had in 2017 was that he was nursing an injury, and he had a new coach that didn't do a good job using him to his best ability. Say what you want about Marinelli, but he knows his stuff when it comes to the dline.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Per his Kansas coach:

Beaty: The issue for a lot of teams was his combine performance and pro day performance. Well, Dorance has never weighed 260 pounds since he’s been here. He came in very, very heavy. I’m not sure who exactly he was training with, but my way of dealing with him would not be carrying that kind of weight. The guy we know, one of his biggest attributes is his speed and quickness. I can assure you they got a steal out of him because had he ran what I thought he was going to run and been at the right weight, he wouldn’t have been around fourth round. No way.

———

Dorance is a lot faster than what people think. Dorance never ran even remotely close to the (4.87) times he ran for the scouts. He’s been a high 4.5 to mid 4.6 guy every day when he was at the right weight: I think what they’re going to see is one of the most explosive guys develop in the NFL when it comes to getting off that edge. They found them a pass rusher. They got them a guy, no doubt.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Per his Kansas coach:

Beaty: The issue for a lot of teams was his combine performance and pro day performance. Well, Dorance has never weighed 260 pounds since he’s been here. He came in very, very heavy. I’m not sure who exactly he was training with, but my way of dealing with him would not be carrying that kind of weight. The guy we know, one of his biggest attributes is his speed and quickness. I can assure you they got a steal out of him because had he ran what I thought he was going to run and been at the right weight, he wouldn’t have been around fourth round. No way.

———

Dorance is a lot faster than what people think. Dorance never ran even remotely close to the (4.87) times he ran for the scouts. He’s been a high 4.5 to mid 4.6 guy every day when he was at the right weight: I think what they’re going to see is one of the most explosive guys develop in the NFL when it comes to getting off that edge. They found them a pass rusher. They got them a guy, no doubt.

Thanks for posting that.

Now coaches hyping their former players is nothing new, but it's very interesting how specific he got.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Same here. The big problem that he had in 2017 was that he was nursing an injury, and he had a new coach that didn't do a good job using him to his best ability. Say what you want about Marinelli, but he knows his stuff when it comes to the dline.

Marinelli will get the best out of him.