Dorance Armstrong

timb2

Reaction score
Joey Bosa ran a 4.86 40. I don't think anybody is questioning his ability to rush the passer. Pass rushers don't need to be fast, they need to be quick and be able to bend. The important numbers for rushers are their 10 yd split, 3 cone and short shuttle. Let's compare Armstrong to your pet cat Ade Aruna.

Drill .....Armstrong..... Aruna..... DE Benchmark
40..... 4.89..... 4.60.....
10..... 1.69..... 1.60.....
3C..... 7.12..... 7.53..... 7.23
20S..... 4.23..... 4.48..... 4.35

Your boy Aruna may have straight line speed, but he has no lateral agility. He can't bend and can't turn the corner. Armstrong may not have Aruna's burst, but it's good enough but he excels in the lateral agility drills, scoring well below the NFL benchmark for a quality pass rusher and amongst the top 5 at the combine. Aruna's lateral agility is downright atrocious and compares closer to an interior lineman than an edge rusher.
So we need to draft crabs is what you are saying???? I'm taking the 4.6 guy who has long arms at 6ft-6in and can jump 38 1/2 inches. vs Armstrong who jumped 30 inches at the combine.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
There is one big flaw in this straight line speed argument.

Guys like Abraham, Peppers, Strahan, Freeney, Suggs etc.. all were very productive at getting to the QB at the tail end of their careers when their speed had greatly diminished .

There are just too many factors that come into play to put some one in a box over one measurable.

I doubt Armstrong will be a pro bowl player, but there is a chance he can be a good situational pass rusher.

Reactions: BAT

timb2

Reaction score
Timb2.................are you Al Davis reincarnated?
Maybe and I am thinking I am fighting Jerry Jones all his backwards family. Can't his family go do some other event like chase pigs at a rodeo or something.

ksg811

Reaction score
So we need to draft crabs is what you are saying???? I'm taking the 4.6 guy who has long arms at 6ft-6in and can jump 38 1/2 inches. vs Armstrong who jumped 30 inches at the combine.

Is Aruna going to jump over the line to sack the QB? There’s no denying his athletic ability, but you keep glossing over his deficiencies. He literally can’t do the most important thing for a DE which is bend and turn the corner. You can’t learn to bend just like Armstrong can’t learn to get faster.

timb2

Reaction score
There is one big flaw in this straight line speed argument.

Guys like Abraham, Peppers, Strahan, Freeney, Suggs etc.. all were very productive at getting to the QB at the tail end of their careers when their speed had greatly diminished .

There are just too many factors that come into play to put some one in a box over one measurable.
Yeah I agree ,I just wonder why we traded for Tavon Austin then?.We could have just found a 4.8 forty WR who looks good running sideways.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Yeah I agree ,I just wonder why we traded for Tavon Austin then?.We could have just found a 4.8 forty WR who looks good running sideways.

Come on, it is a totally different position. I know one thing, they didn't get Austin for his ability to line up in the slot and beat people down the field.

My guess is he was brought in here to run the jet sweep, return kicks and punts, plus be a 3rd down back who can run occasionally and catch balls out of the back field.

If anything Tavon and guys like him have proven that inline speed is great but if you can't run routes it don't matter people on the defense can run too.

timb2

Reaction score
Is Aruna going to jump over the line to sack the QB? There’s no denying his athletic ability, but you keep glossing over his deficiencies. He literally can’t do the most important thing for a DE which is bend and turn the corner. You can’t learn to bend just like Armstrong can’t learn to get faster.
Really? You mean Ziggy Ansah and Daniel Hunter were just fooling us when they had little production in college and turned into go pros not because they were good athletes,but because they have some new event not at the combine where they can bend???

timb2

Reaction score
Come on, it is a totally different position. I know one thing, they didn't get Austin for his ability to line up in the slot and beat people down the field.

My guess is he was brought in here to run the jet sweep, return kicks and punts, plus be a 3rd down back who can run occasionally and catch balls out of the back field.

If anything Tavon and guys like him have proven that inline speed is great but if you can't run routes it don't matter people on the defense can run too.

You wanna take my bet that Armstrong will not beat out Tapper if not injured or Gregory and his pet bong??? He won't beat those 2 out

ksg811

Reaction score
Really? You mean Ziggy Ansah and Daniel Hunter were just fooling us when they had little production in college and turned into go pros not because they were good athletes,but because they have some new event not at the combing where they can bend???

Thanks for proving my point. Ziggy had a 7.11 3 come and 4.26 short shuttle. Hunter had a 6.96 3 cone. It’s not a new event. The 3 cone is the most critical event for an edge rusher testing their ability to bend. Hunter, Ansah, and Armstrong all have very good 3 cone times and can bend. Aruna can’t.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't get this pick. I think this is our worst draft pick and rumors we thought of trading up into the 3rd to get him. WHY? He is 250 lbs and can't even run in the 4.7s barely breaks a 4.9 forty. He had 1 sack in 2017. All I hear is excuses."Well he is overcoming a knee injury".."Well he was doubled teamed"..."Well you know he is young at 20 years old". This is what I do know,HE DOES NOT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES....Beating Orlando Brown for a sack is really not that great or a thing with Orlando Brown running a 5.7 forty. WHAT AM I MISSING? ,AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS OR SOMETHING??

I'm not gonna lie.. Nothing really jumps out to me either.

I don't hate the pick by any means but I just don't see a guy that screams off the edge.

Who knows though. I've seen guys like Anthony Hitchens who looked like absolute jags in college and come in here and fly to the football.

Hopefully when I see him play live he shows some special traits vs what I see on Youtube.

He had production in 2016 and that's always a good sign.

They were willing to give up 2 4ths for this player so they must think highly of him.

Reactions: BAT

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Before the anti-Big 12 screed, I was talking about the myriad of Ohio State pass rushers and Carl Lawson who had 8-10 sacks for the Bengals. And Jordan Willis who was the most explosive guy at last year’s combine save perhaps Miles Garret.

I think this is the opposite of a “Jerry” pick. It is a defensive end from Kansas. That’s not a buzzy type of player. They are clearly drafting him off of 2016 tape where he beat top 100 drafted NFL players for sacks and pressures.

I have no idea if he will make it. I don’t think he is more talented than the raw tools of Gregory and maybe Tapper. But availability is important too.

If all three guys work out through camp, it wouldn’t be shocking if they try to trade Crawford or one of the young guys.

What I don’t understand is how anyone can look at defensive end/line depth on the Eagles, Rams, and Jags and be mad your team decides just to add pieces on the lines. That’s clearly the Buccaneers plan. It is clearly the Cowboys plan. It is far better than drafting 9000 wide receivers.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Using 40 times to evaluate linemen, on either side, is a fools errand. It's all about short area burst, leverage and punch. I'm not sure if this guy will be anything, but it has nothing to do with his 40 (or Orlando Browns lol).

cowboysooner

Reaction score
This whole thing is replacing the nearly 1000 snaps from Mayowa and Crawford with more from Charlton, Armstrong, Tapper and hopefully Gregory. If you get that plus 12 games from Irving this will be the best pass rush since Wade was here.

Crawford is a real NFL player, but he doesn’t have any bend to create edge pressure consistently. Lawrence showed he could be a war daddy, he needs someone to play on the other side.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Who cares about 40 time as a DL.

Dorance has incredible length and was one of the best edge performers in the 3 cone and shuttle.

The best thing Dorance has going for him is his reliability. He's played in like 30 straight games, even when he had a partially torn ACL.

If he can stay on the practice field and remain reliable, his arc is going to improve that much more.