DPOY: Ware or Harrison?

BigWillie

Reaction score
Interesting question to ask considering it is Steelers vs Cowboys week.

Who ya got as of right now?

I'm personally leaning to Ware (shocker) as of right now. The only reason being because Ware was robbed of this award last year and unless a player completely blows Ware away I think the guy is owed one.

With that said, Harrison really is playing better this year for the Steelers defense.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Harrison leads Ware in just about every category except sacks. but he only trails Ware by 1 sack and is a main force in he #1 defense in the NFL. I also think he's gotten more consistent pressure this year than Ware so I have to go with Harrison right now.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I have to give the nod to Ware. Ware has been more consistent, going only 1 game without a sack while Harrison has 4 games with a 0 in the sack department.

Tackle-wise, Ware averages about 5 tackles a game, Harrison at 6.5. Ware was within 1 tackle of that average 8 times while Harrison was 1 tackle within that average once.

Sure, Ware's numbers are just a bit lower but it shows more consistency, rather than feasting off of a couple teams and then disappearing.

Basically, I think that if you benched both players, Dallas' D goes down the toilet while Pittsburgh doesn't miss a step. I also have a hard time giving it to a player that has been in the league longer than Ware, yet has about half as many sacks and only 11 more tackles. Ware is our defense. Harrison is a replaceable piece.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Rampage;2455557 said:
Harrison leads Ware in just about every category except sacks. but he only trails Ware by 1 sack and is a main force in he #1 defense in the NFL. I also think he's gotten more consistent pressure this year than Ware so I have to go with Harrison right now.

Harrison gets more consistent pressure because the Steelers have another pass rushing LB who has to be accounted for on every snap, LaMarr Woodley. If you put Harrison in our system then he wouldn't have 15 sacks like Ware. If you put Ware in Pitts. system then he may already have 20 sacks.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
masomenos85;2455620 said:
Harrison gets more consistent pressure because the Steelers have another pass rushing LB who has to be accounted for on every snap, LaMarr Woodley. If you put Harrison in our system then he wouldn't have 15 sacks like Ware. If you put Ware in Pitts. system then he may already have 20 sacks.

As Spencer continues to develop, we may see those results here.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which player means more to his team?

I think Ware, therefore I give the award to him.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2455633 said:
Which player means more to his team?

I think Ware, therefore I give the award to him.
good thing you don't vote for awards.

SteelManiac55

Reaction score
As a completely unbiased Steelers fan, haha, I'd give the nod to Mr. Harrison on this one. Both players are nearly impossible to block and are having phenomenal seasons.

However, Harrison has had a more complete season. He has 18 more tackles, 80 compared to 62. Ware has one more sack than Harrison, but I'd argue that James has made bigger plays throughout the season. He has four passes defended on the year and also has an INT while Ware has not achieved either.

Still, both have had fairly even, dominant seasons. The kicker, in my opinion, is forced fumbles. James has forced 6 fumbles on the season while Ware has only forced 2. They have been timely forced fumbles as well - he had two yesterday against the Patriots that changed the momentum of the game. He forced a fumble against the Ravens earlier this year that LaMarr Woodley returned for a TD (a game, and play, that may have changed the course of the Steelers season). He forced a Phillip Rivers fumble in the endzone leading to the safety that he would make. Those forced fumbles have been absolutely huge this season.

Again, this is just one completely unbiased opinion, haha. A fair case could be made for both players.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
187beatdown;2455632 said:
As Spencer continues to develop, we may see those results here.

I certainly hope so. Unfortunately, right now he only has four career sacks.

Section446

Reaction score
This is a tough one, right now I'll give the edge to Ware. We'll have a much better idea after this week though.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
Harrison, probably. Ware's production has been terrific and consistent, but it has also frequently come at moments where it was not really necessary - garbage time plays in a lot of the middle of the season. More recently he has come on very strong and HAS made some game-changing plays, but as the Steeler fan attests, Harrison has been doing this for much of the year.

I think Ware is a more complete player (with a linebacker from any other team, the media would have been blabbering about Ware's PBU on Gore downfield for a month), but he hasn't been in the position to parlay that into performance in the games played thus far this year, at least in comparison to Harrison.

It's not a huge gap, however, and Ware's got a great list of games coming up to show his quality.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
1. Ware is better at passrushing.
2. Ware is better in coverage.
3. Ware is better in space against the run.
4. Ware is better at the point of attack against the run.

Ware is every bit a better player than Harrison. It's a shame that an award like this would go to a flash in the pan like Harrison. This guy has no shot at something like the HOF. Ware on the other hand does, and awards like this should go to such players.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2455680 said:
Because he leads in an unofficial stat?
yeah all of them except 1 where he trails Ware by only 1. also when I watch the steelers he's more consistent at getting Pressure than Ware. but in my opinion Ware hasn't even peaked yet in his career.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rampage;2455690 said:
yeah all of them except 1 where he trails Ware by only 1. also when I watch the steelers he's more consistent at getting Pressure than Ware. but in my opinion Ware hasn't even peaked yet in his career.
He's actually much less consistent, but thanks for playing.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2455693 said:
He's actually much less consistent, but thanks for playing.
you don't know what you're talking about mr. "felix runs with more power than Portis" :laugh2: