Draft day thoughts-as Bob Strum stated wise to add juice to the offense!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Just take the best player round 1.

There are plenty of "weapons" in every round.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s too early to tell who’s going to be better long term but early metrics showed they played at a similar level in year 1 with the only difference wing the massive gap on when they were drafted.

Early indicators show that those guys provided waaaaaaaaaaay more value than taking Tyler in the 1st. Which is basically my whole point.
I’ll say it again. Tyler Smith saved the Cowboys 2022 season. Without him to replace Tyron, this team would have been done.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’ll say it again. Tyler Smith saved the Cowboys 2022 season. Without him to replace Tyron, this team would have been done.
Ok. And if we would’ve drafted someone else in round 1 and one of the 2 dudes I just referenced a round or 2 later we would’ve been just as fine.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
At some point you need to add more playmakers on offense. No issue adding another defensive player or two, but have to add more offensive firepower.
agreed, we do need more offensive power. it comes down to who is available at 26. if McDonald and Gibbs are there, I would take McDonald because the difference between gibbs and anothre play making speedy RB is not that much.

pasando

Reaction score
I think Tyler Smith ends up at LG as they attempt to start their best five, so the need for iOL is pushed back into 2nd-4th round. Leaving Playmaker at the top of the board offensively. Strum is correct adding some juice to the offense is necessary. There's a big hole at TE and RB imo, so that's where I look for impact. However, a WR who can add speed, play in the offense day 1, and return punts to kick Turpin off the roster would be a good move.
Are you saying Tyron Smith will be our LT then? I hope not, Tyron Smith is washed and will not last more than 4 games . At this point in his career Tyron Smith is at best a backup swing T...... IOL is an immediate need.
We Must strengthen the OL in order to help Dak have success at the next level..... especially with our other division rivals having stout Defensive Lines...

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. And if we would’ve drafted someone else in round 1 and one of the 2 dudes I just referenced a round or 2 later we would’ve been just as fine.
See if you can get someone to agree with you about that.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
agreed, we do need more offensive power. it comes down to who is available at 26. if McDonald and Gibbs are there, I would take McDonald because the difference between gibbs and anothre play making speedy RB is not that much.
If the value is there, I would lean to offense, but not passing on a better player just cause he plays on defense, either.

mathew1184

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all! Draft day is finally here!

When you look back at the entire offseason, the draft has to be about upgrading the offense:

-Cowboys lost to the 49ers due to their inability to run the football and lack of receiving weapons to threaten their strong defense. Outside of the 4th quarter when the Cowboy D started to ware down, they pretty much held the high powered 49er offense in check.

-Look what they did in fa: retained three key role players in Lve, Wilson and Hankins. Upgraded their biggest need position in Gilmore. Yes, they can use more help within the interior of their DL, add more depth at both LB/CB, but this unit is good enough as is, we cannot say the same about the offense.

-Offense lost 4 starters in Zeke, Shultz, McGovern, Brown. Adding Cooks was nice, but it doesn't move the needle enough. They want to be able to play complementary football; consistently be able to run the football, maintain drives, give their playmakers the best opportunities to succeed and score TD's. Run game is about their OL, adding another starting caliber back. Passing game we need at least 1 more weapon if not two.

As for tonight, I'm a big fan of both McDonald/Forbes, but I think the Cowboys would be the best served to take the best offensive player available if the value is right. Kincaid/Mayer, Flowers, Addison, Hyatt, Johnson, Gibbs, Wright, Avilia. I really don't care if it a low valued position, especially picking at 26, just find the best player who will make the biggest impact. This front office has earned my trust, especially with their 1st rd picks, as long as they stay away from poor character or reaching to fill a need that should get a good player no matter how the picks go ahead of them.
I agree with him except for the position, i want Gibbs, a WR, or an offensive lineman. A Defensive Lineman wouldn’t hurt my feelings though. No TE.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree with him except for the position, i want Gibbs, a WR, or an offensive lineman. A Defensive Lineman wouldn’t hurt my feelings though. No TE.
I understand people not wanting a TE in rd 1, but the class is good this yr and they may have a chance at the pick of the litter.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I've waffled so many times but I must think like Big Mike. His job is on the line more than ever. That being said, I see a skill position guy being taken at 26. Its a bit rich, but we luv Jalen Hyatt and Zay Flowers. I think wr might be the guy at 26. We are desperate for vertical speed. He gives us that. Cooks is just a rental. I think all the TE talk and Will McDonald stuff was a ruse. We were never drafting Bijan either. He wouldnt give us added team speed where we need it. Critical thinking and logic tells me we are going wr, after much thought. We have spent many visits with Hyatt and Flowers, more than any other draftee. That must mean something in my view.

J-man

Reaction score
We need a starting LG, a starting LB, a starting RB, an upgrade/future starter at WR, an upgrade/future starter at DE, an upgrade/future starter at DT, an upgrade/future starter at CB and a kicker.
Draft any and all of these and I'll be very happy.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all! Draft day is finally here!

When you look back at the entire offseason, the draft has to be about upgrading the offense:

-Cowboys lost to the 49ers due to their inability to run the football and lack of receiving weapons to threaten their strong defense. Outside of the 4th quarter when the Cowboy D started to ware down, they pretty much held the high powered 49er offense in check.

-Look what they did in fa: retained three key role players in Lve, Wilson and Hankins. Upgraded their biggest need position in Gilmore. Yes, they can use more help within the interior of their DL, add more depth at both LB/CB, but this unit is good enough as is, we cannot say the same about the offense.

-Offense lost 4 starters in Zeke, Shultz, McGovern, Brown. Adding Cooks was nice, but it doesn't move the needle enough. They want to be able to play complementary football; consistently be able to run the football, maintain drives, give their playmakers the best opportunities to succeed and score TD's. Run game is about their OL, adding another starting caliber back. Passing game we need at least 1 more weapon if not two.

As for tonight, I'm a big fan of both McDonald/Forbes, but I think the Cowboys would be the best served to take the best offensive player available if the value is right. Kincaid/Mayer, Flowers, Addison, Hyatt, Johnson, Gibbs, Wright, Avilia. I really don't care if it a low valued position, especially picking at 26, just find the best player who will make the biggest impact. This front office has earned my trust, especially with their 1st rd picks, as long as they stay away from poor character or reaching to fill a need that should get a good player no matter how the picks go ahead of them.
Bob Sturm?

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Tyler was a reach last year…he was a unanimous 2nd rounder. We’ll see in a year or 2 if he outplays that projection but he’s literally the definition of a reach.

And again - you’re assuming the rookie will be good. Last year there were 2 legit 1st rounders and they weren’t good. I wouldn’t bank on a lesser touted prospect to come in and be better than those guys year 1.
People always say so and so was a reach because some analyst or analysts said so or because my board says so. Who cares what they say…it’s the teams that put together their boards based on their research. I’m pretty sure if Avila went at 26, the Cowboys wouldn’t agree with some analyst or fan board GM that he was a reach.

And IMO, we need to stop treating Tyler like a ping pong ball and let him settle on a position. It’s not doing him any favors in his early development or with line chemistry to keep shuffling him around.

And Tyler might be better year 1 than Avila at guard but to think Avila wouldn’t likely win the starting job over the others at the position is a stretch IMO. People keep underestimating Avila, a guy who has 1 year starting at guard and was an All American that year, and hasn’t given up a sack since his sophomore year. The guy is good but he has VERY low reception totals, so he is maligned.

cnuball21

Reaction score
People always say so and so was a reach because some analyst or analysts said so or because my board says so. Who cares what they say…it’s the teams that put together their boards based on their research. I’m pretty sure if Avila went at 26, the Cowboys wouldn’t agree with some analyst or fan board GM that he was a reach.

And IMO, we need to stop treating Tyler like a ping pong ball and let him settle on a position. It’s not doing him any favors in his early development or with line chemistry to keep shuffling him around.

And Tyler might be better year 1 than Avila at guard but to think Avila wouldn’t likely win the starting job over the others at the position is a stretch IMO. People keep underestimating Avila, a guy who has 1 year starting at guard and was an All American that year, and hasn’t given up a sack since his sophomore year. The guy is good but he has VERY low reception totals, so he is maligned.
I’d argue more players go closer to the consensus rankings than vice versa.

But Id agree about letting Tyler settle in - just tell him his position and let him work.

Yes, Avila would walk into the job as the starter if he was a 1st round selection but that doesn’t guarantee he’ll be good right away . Like I said 2 better G prospects last year went in the 1st and they were bad year 1.