Draft grades on Charlton to Dallas **merged**

khiladi

Reaction score
Well Callahan produced an absolutely dominant line when he was given dominant players. That's no slight to him, as he was a phenomenal coach.

Marinelli, and for the record I am not a fan of him as a DC, has mostly been given table scraps to build a DL with. Callahan had three first round picks to work with. Look at what Marinelli has had at DL:

Lawrence - 2nd rd pick
Irving - cast off from KC
Thornton - UDFA signed from Philly
Mayowa - cast off from Oakland
Collins - 3rd round pick
Crawford - 2nd round pick

He's not exactly had the same type of talent to work with as Callahan. Charlton seems to be a guy he liked so this is now on him. But I see no reason to write Charlton off at this point because people think Marinelli is some over the hill guy who doesn't know good DL because he hasn't turned some of the slop he's had at DL into Grade A prime beef.

Dallas was slated to pick Floyd the year they got Frederik and had three defensive players slated before Martin. Callahan lobbied hard for Frederik.

My point is simply is that his input was involved.

Of course a lot of this is assumption as far as Marinelli. He didn't like Floyd and Jerry left him and went with Frederik. And Floyd hasn't performed.

So I get what your saying.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
Dallas was slated to pick Floyd the year they got Frederik and had three defensive players slated before Martin. Callahan lobbied hard for Frederik.

Of course a lot of this is assumption as far as Marinelli. He didn't like Floyd and Jerry left him and went with Frederik. And Floyd hasn't performed.

I really wanted Floyd.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The top 12 sack guys in the NFL last year were under 265 lbs.

yeah, let's keep stockpiling these heavy weight scrubs

Scrub huh.....tell is all why he is a scrub...offer some insight too. Not just make the stupid comments.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The odd thing is we drafted a defensive player who comes with an already established nickname.

You have to wonder if Marinelli's long for the league.

Maybe if I start looking at you like Fozzie Bear, you will start being funny.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think he has a long ways to go. His hand technique is pretty much awful at this point and I don't like how he plays the run. He does have good bend and is pretty quick. Also has long arms.

It's more or less a 'meh' type of pick. I haven't heard about his attitude or work ethic. I'm assuming it's pretty good given Garrett's philosophies.

YR

He only started playing 4-3 last year. Mich played a 3-4 prior to that. I am not stunned he does not looked polished.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The top 12 sack guys in the NFL last year were under 265 lbs.

yeah, let's keep stockpiling these heavy weight scrubs

Bosa goes 275 and Wake goes 270. That is just off the top of my head.

Now that I looked I see Kerrigan and Perry are 265.

You have no credibility with me.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
He only started playing 4-3 last year. Mich played a 3-4 prior to that. I am not stunned he does not looked polished.

Neither am I. But, I'm not a fan of guys that don't have a lot of experience doing something.

What keeps my hopes alive is Marinelli is probably the best D-Line coach on Earth and if likes him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

YR

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Well, it obviously comes down to the guys we trust.

No disrespect to Marinelli overall as a D.C., but what pass pressure has Marinelli brought since he has been here?

Callahan produced an absolutely dominant line.
Callahan worked with three 1st round picks. My grandmother could coach a line with that much talent. Give Rod three 1st round D-lineman (one in the top 15) and I'll guarantee you his pass rush looks a hell of a lot different than it has in the past. The Cowboys ranked in the middle of the pack last season in sacks without a single bonafide star in the group. Marinelli has been trying to make chicken salad with chicken **** since the moment he walked in the door. There were a grand total of 4 teams that allowed fewer points than the Cowboys last season: New York Giants (who blew almost a quarter of a BILLION dollars on their unit), New England (well, ****, their New England), Seattle (with superstars lighting up the entire side of that roster), and Denver (see Seattle).

They produced more sacks than: New England, Pittsburgh, and the New York Giants.

Created more turnovers than: Buffalo, Seattle, Tennessee, Detroit, Indianapolis, Houston, L.A. Rams Cleveland, Jacksonville, Chicago, and the NY Jets. Some of those teams have a TON more talent on defense than the Dallas Cowboys.

There's no doubt that the Cowboys achilles, right now is a pass rush but Rod Marinelli has done a whole lot with a whole lot less than a ton of these "genius" defensive coordinators out there. Give this guy a few of the Aaron Donalds and JJ Watts of the world and he'll whip your *** in short order, IMHO.

Hudson Houck was asked in his last stint with the Cowboys when he was going to build a dominant O-line like he coached with the Cowboys in the 90's. His answer was simple: when they get me the talent. None of this is rocket science.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Pretty fair grades.

The Taco pick is really not that bad. They invested in the trenches instead of a cornerback. I'm cool with that.

Plus this tells me the organization is probably skeptical of D. Lawerence.

Seriously, who among cowboyszone isn't?

Gator88

Reaction score

It's incorrect to say Floyd hasn't performed. He's had injury problems (which he didn't have issues there in college iirc), but he's been one of the better 4-3 dt run stoppers and pocket pushers in the league when healthy. He would have replaced Marinelli's favorite in Nick Hayden though, so couldn't have that.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Draft grades are about as useless as power rankings. There's going to be some guy drafted in the later rounds this year, or who went undrafted, that looks better than a guy taken in the first 2 rounds. We'll see how good Cleveland and SF look 3 years down the road. Washington would have 10 SB's by now if paper grades counted for anything. The Pats win with no-name guys on a regular basis. Why? because players that fit your scheme make a better team than name recognition guys. Belichick and Craft know what they're doing and they don't have to trade picks and spend a lot of $$ to get it done.....

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Neither am I. But, I'm not a fan of guys that don't have a lot of experience doing something.

What keeps my hopes alive is Marinelli is probably the best D-Line coach on Earth and if likes him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

YR

We were picking 28. They all have warts.

My point was that it would be very concerning if he had been playing 4-3 DE for 4 years and had only two moves with questionable feet and hands. That is not the case. Just trying to give proper context.

Marinelli seems to think he can coach him. That is good enough for me.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It's incorrect to say Floyd hasn't performed. He's had injury problems (which he didn't have issues there in college iirc), but he's been one of the better 4-3 dt run stoppers and pocket pushers in the league when healthy. He would have replaced Marinelli's favorite in Nick Hayden though, so couldn't have that.

McClain was outstanding at the 1 before he faded down the stretch. He generated no pressure. I think that Marinelli just doesn't value the position as opposed to DE, 3T, LB, or DB.

Floyd did start to come on though. His most recent injury was very unfortunate.

Gator88

Reaction score
McClain was outstanding at the 1 before he faded down the stretch. He generated no pressure. I think that Marinelli just doesn't value the position as opposed to DE, 3T, LB, or DB.

Floyd did start to come on though. His most recent injury was very unfortunate.
That's true, I was very surprised how well McClain played last year, and I admit I might be biased for Floyd because I enjoyed watching him play in college. I just disagree with people who act like Dallas was lucky they didn't get Floyd as if he was a bust.

khiladi

Reaction score
Callahan worked with three 1st round picks. My grandmother could coach a line with that much talent. Give Rod three 1st round D-lineman (one in the top 15) and I'll guarantee you his pass rush looks a hell of a lot different than it has in the past. The Cowboys ranked in the middle of the pack last season in sacks without a single bonafide star in the group. Marinelli has been trying to make chicken salad with chicken **** since the moment he walked in the door. There were a grand total of 4 teams that allowed fewer points than the Cowboys last season: New York Giants (who blew almost a quarter of a BILLION dollars on their unit), New England (well, ****, their New England), Seattle (with superstars lighting up the entire side of that roster), and Denver (see Seattle).

They produced more sacks than: New England, Pittsburgh, and the New York Giants.

Created more turnovers than: Buffalo, Seattle, Tennessee, Detroit, Indianapolis, Houston, L.A. Rams Cleveland, Jacksonville, Chicago, and the NY Jets. Some of those teams have a TON more talent on defense than the Dallas Cowboys.

There's no doubt that the Cowboys achilles, right now is a pass rush but Rod Marinelli has done a whole lot with a whole lot less than a ton of these "genius" defensive coordinators out there. Give this guy a few of the Aaron Donalds and JJ Watts of the world and he'll whip your *** in short order, IMHO.

Hudson Houck was asked in his last stint with the Cowboys when he was going to build a dominant O-line like he coached with the Cowboys in the 90's. His answer was simple: when they get me the talent. None of this is rocket science.

Because Houck had no input in his picks, yet the Cowboys went picking big lineman according to how he coached.. Houck didn't do anything in Miami either.

This OL started going small and quick when Callahan got here and their first OL pick was Leary and Frederick was worked out by Callahan at Nebraska where Callahan also had the ties.

Your delusional if you don't think Callahan influenced those picks when Jerry listened to his coach Marinelli against the scouts and even his son Stephen, when he rejected going Floyd in the war room. That was the point about Floyd and Marinelli influence in Jerry rejecting him.

khiladi

Reaction score

Well then, maybe Marinelli doesn't know pass rushing personnel (meaning drafting) that well after all. He's a good coach though.

But I can't complain because we got Frederick out of that.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Because Houck had no input in his picks, yet the Cowboys went picking big lineman according to how he coached.. Houck didn't do anything in Miami either.

This OL started going small and quick when Callahan got here and their first OL pick was Leary and Frederick was worked out by Callahan at Nebraska where Callahan also had the ties.

Your delusional if you don't think Callahan influenced those picks when Jerry listened to his coach Marinelli against the scouts and even his son Stephen, when he rejected going Floyd in the war room. That was the point about Floyd and Marinelli influence in Jerry rejecting him.
And to this point Floyd has been a turd. Marinelli was right to have the team pass on him and eventually select Fredrick. Charlton is obviously someone Rod was 100% on board with. Like I said, give him some D-line guys he actually wants in the 1st round and see if things don't have an uptick.