Draft grades on Charlton to Dallas **merged**

kumizi

Reaction score
He doesn't fit. He is a LB, then you want him to play DE here, and a light weight DE at that...we don't need light weights...
The top 12 sack guys in the NFL last year were under 265 lbs.

yeah, let's keep stockpiling these heavy weight scrubs

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think he has a long ways to go. His hand technique is pretty much awful at this point and I don't like how he plays the run. He does have good bend and is pretty quick. Also has long arms.

It's more or less a 'meh' type of pick. I haven't heard about his attitude or work ethic. I'm assuming it's pretty good given Garrett's philosophies.

YR

jjktkk

Reaction score
57587406.jpg
Well done my man. :thumbup:

khiladi

Reaction score
1-year wonder, potential, inconsistent, one good season in college etc. These are all words people have used to describe him. Not good.

The whole argument seems to be, Dallas needed a pass rush so they drafted a DE, which means they get an A.

They all admit he has played inconsistently in his tenure and his last year was his best. Physically, he looks like he has the tools and can be a hit.

Last edited:

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score

I give this a B- grade. Not enough high fiving.

I liked the pick, but all of these draft parties going crazy is just silly, everyone at these cheers their pick. They showed some girl at the Bengals party going completely nuts when they drafted ross, that girl probably couldn't pick him out of a lineup.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dallas got good reviews from these analysts when they leveraged the draft for Claiborne..

gmoney112

Reaction score
The percentage of players who bust when they are taken in the second round is higher than it is for first round players as a general rule. Taco carried a second round grade, or later. I don't like the reach.

We could have selected a CB who carried a first round grade and then selected a player later with the grade that matched draft position or passed on the position. I know we needed a DE but what does it say that our board, which probably already included a bias toward DE had him with a sub first round grade?

Everyone seems to love the pick here. But how will you like the pick if he busts, and the player we had the higher grade on lights the world on fire? Will it still have been a good pick?

It may turn out to be wonderful, but I really don't like the draft process on this pick. I hate the process they went through to get him. I am not against the player per se. But I am lukewarm on the pick.

I think he will be a good player at left DE. Think Tapper will be the right end this year. I don't see us taking another DE in this draft.

There was no CB that carried a first round grade. Stephen confirmed that today.

Reaction score
I liked the pick, but all of these draft parties going crazy is just silly, everyone at these cheers their pick. They showed some girl at the Bengals party going completely nuts when they drafted ross, that girl probably couldn't pick him out of a lineup.

There's a hilarious video of Bears fans at a draft party freaking out upset about their trade up and Trubisky pick. =P

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
There's a hilarious video of Bears fans at a draft party freaking out upset about their trade up and Trubisky pick. =P
And rightfully so.

Most questionable trade up and pick I have seen in a while. Makes it worse when apparently Ryan Pace, their GM, didn't even bother to tell John Fox he was doing it.

khiladi

Reaction score
So?

Or are you suggesting Marinelli is a moron and doesn't know DL?

Well, it obviously comes down to the guys we trust.

No disrespect to Marinelli overall as a D.C., but what pass pressure has Marinelli brought since he has been here?

Callahan produced an absolutely dominant line.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score

I don't know if you saw the Bucs fan they showed after the Howard pick, I like Oj Howard, but you would have thought the dude won the lotto.

Sydla

Reaction score

8 of them were LBs, mostly playing in a 3-4.

Bosa had 10.5 sacks and likely would have been in the Top 10 if he played al 16 games. He's 280. So yeah, guys heavier than 275 can be good at rushing the passer.

kumizi

Reaction score
can be vs likely to be

It's just like people saying "well we all hated the Frederick pick and he's awesome so by that logic Taco Charleton is going to be awesome"

herp derp

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

And 8 of them were outside linebackers in a 3-4 defense so I would hope they weighed under 265 lbs.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well, it obviously comes down to the guys we trust.

No disrespect to Marinelli overall as a D.C., but what pass pressure has Marinelli brought since he has been here?

Callahan produced an absolutely dominant line.

Well Callahan produced an absolutely dominant line when he was given dominant players. That's no slight to him, as he was a phenomenal coach.

Marinelli, and for the record I am not a fan of him as a DC, has mostly been given table scraps to build a DL with. Callahan had three first round picks to work with. Look at what Marinelli has had at DL:

Lawrence - 2nd rd pick
Irving - cast off from KC
Thornton - UDFA signed from Philly
Mayowa - cast off from Oakland
Collins - 3rd round pick
Crawford - 2nd round pick

He's not exactly had the same type of talent to work with as Callahan. Charlton seems to be a guy he liked so this is now on him. But I see no reason to write Charlton off at this point because people think Marinelli is some over the hill guy who doesn't know good DL because he hasn't turned some of the slop he's had at DL into Grade A prime beef.

kumizi

Reaction score
And 8 of them were outside linebackers in a 3-4 defense so I would hope they weighed under 265 lbs.
well, that's a discussion for a separate thread about why we are playing an outdated system with an outdated defensive coordinator